testtest

Bullet Beliefs

I have done some different loads in the 40S&W for a woman the uses Hornady 180xtp for her carry of choice. I calculated the muzzle energy for that load and made 10 different weight with various types of bullets. This was done too have the same ir as close as I could get too the same muzzle energy. I did this for her too check against recoil and handling. I told her to load and shoot 3 at a time and write down her reactions to each. We have the same Springfield handgun so I test fired 1 round of each before too test function and all safety pressures. Shoot 3 and mark each and then go too the next and so forth. I'm waiting for her reactions/results.

The belief that heavier is better is not always true. There are those who have beginners/novices start with heaviest grain the even though the velocity is lower the recoil is more. Most don't understand that or have belief too the contrary. There is more stored energy in the barrel due to the time it takes too exit the muzzle. You can get more energy in a lighter bullet going faster that a heavier going slower with less recoil, especially at the same muzzle energy and shoot flatter!

Why so heavy? What is your reason for the heavier grain? What are you expecting from it as compared too a lower/lowest weight bullet in the same cartridge? Is belief in the pudding or a load of crap?
Color me Wacko but for some silly reason Tex -I shoot better groups with 147 Gr then 115 Gr , also 124 Nato i get tighter groups then 115 -And trust me all the 115 Gr was high end Ammo -

He missed on the equivalent or apples to apples. I have been hand loading for 36 years and can prove contrary too the facts. Yes there is a point at which an extreme velocity could/can produce more recoil, but not in most cases! If you roll your own try it out! Text me what you are loading and I can give you more specs. This would be published data only! Take a pic of your specific load and we can have a more thorough discussion!

I do trust LG on their blog/news as they usually have good reads! Most of the time they are not about the sell like other companies are!

Another take on this would be the amount of bore contact as in length of it. There could be 2 different weights that would have the same contact length, but the heavier have less recoil.

I have done some different loads in the 40S&W for a woman the uses Hornady 180xtp for her carry of choice. I calculated the muzzle energy for that load and made 10 different weight with various types of bullets. This was done too have the same ir as close as I could get too the same muzzle energy. I did this for her too check against recoil and handling. I told her to load and shoot 3 at a time and write down her reactions to each. We have the same Springfield handgun so I test fired 1 round of each before too test function and all safety pressures. Shoot 3 and mark each and then go too the next and so forth. I'm waiting for her reactions/results.
I still don't let others shoot my reloads. If the gun blows up it's my fault....... even if their gun was the issue.

The belief that heavier is better is not always true. There are those who have beginners/novices start with heaviest grain the even though the velocity is lower the recoil is more. Most don't understand that or have belief too the contrary. There is more stored energy in the barrel due to the time it takes too exit the muzzle. You can get more energy in a lighter bullet going faster that a heavier going slower with less recoil, especially at the same muzzle energy and shoot flatter!
I believe that a heavier bullet can give greater expansion than some little thing that is going to zip right through.
Heavy will break bones, light will bounce off. That's why I wouldn't use a 22LR

I still don't let others shoot my reloads. If the gun blows up it's my fault....... even if their gun was the issue.
All have been tested and pressures are at a safe low medium. It is not at a pressure I shoot my personal loads at. They are a published data from Hornady. The gun she used has had less than 500 rounds threw it.

I believe that a heavier bullet can give greater expansion than some little thing that is going to zip right through.
Heavy will break bones, light will bounce off. That's why I wouldn't use a 22LR
This was based on per cartridge and not over all ss in the difference between a 9mm and a 45acp weights.

Back