testtest

Bullet Setback Example

Jfal

Professional
Guys,

Just did a deep clean on my 10mm Ronin today, unloaded a mag and just happened to line up the cartridges on a desk shelf at eye-level. Take a peek at the 3rd cartridge from the left. S&B 10mm 180grain JHP. Talk about setback! I know we've discussed this issue before (thread on buying ammo in bulk comes to mind), but this is what someone means by bullet setback. I wish I could say if this was from one chambering once or 100 times, but I can't. I know I've never chambered a single round more than twice intentionally.

I'm not posting this to start arguments...I know the causes and potential results from setback. Just thought it was a great pic showing exactly what it looks like...I think I got close to 1/4" there!

Also, just be aware that the 1911 platform is known for causing setback (all makes BTW). It's a by product of the design...

Attachments

• Setback Example.jpg
    Setback Example.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
Guys,

Just did a deep clean on my 10mm Ronin today, unloaded a mag and just happened to line up the cartridges on a desk shelf at eye-level. Take a peek at the 3rd cartridge from the left. S&B 10mm 180grain JHP. Talk about setback! I know we've discussed this issue before (thread on buying ammo in bulk comes to mind), but this is what someone means by bullet setback. I wish I could say if this was from one chambering or 100, but I can't. I know I've never chambered a single round more than twice intentionally.

I'm not posting this to start arguments...I know the causes and potential results from setback. Just thought it was a great pic showing exactly what it looks like...I think I got close to 1/4" there!

Also, just be aware that the 1911 platform is known for causing setback (all makes BTW). It's a by product of the design...
I've ran across a few. I have a .45 ACP like that. When I see them, I pull them. I got a few sitting on a shelf up in my shop. I'm sure they're fine, but I got others, no reason to shoot those.

Guys,

Just did a deep clean on my 10mm Ronin today, unloaded a mag and just happened to line up the cartridges on a desk shelf at eye-level. Take a peek at the 3rd cartridge from the left. S&B 10mm 180grain JHP. Talk about setback! I know we've discussed this issue before (thread on buying ammo in bulk comes to mind), but this is what someone means by bullet setback. I wish I could say if this was from one chambering once or 100 times, but I can't. I know I've never chambered a single round more than twice intentionally.

Recoil... Factory load should have some taper as I have never seen it in the .45 auto and thousands of rounds... But others have.

Guys,

Unless the third round was formerly the first and chambered (likely multiple times), there’s nothing in the 1911 design that would cause that setback while in the magazine; it was like that when it was loaded, and you missed it.

If it has been chambered multiple times…it’s on you, as well, as that is the biggest known cause of setback in ALL platforms (other than a revolver, of course).

Leave it to the ever pleasant Hans...thanks for your ever-loving comments. You always bring such sunlight and wisdom to this platform. Did I question the cause of setback? Did I make any claim that you find untruthful?

And the 1911 platform is well known by all shooters to cause more setback than most other semi-auto platforms during the chambering process. Not sure what made you think I claimed it was setback while in the magazine. Please re-read the post your highness.

i too have run across a 45 ACP cartridge or 2 like that, from various makers..(maybe not that deep) i shoot'em, if not in any of my 1911's, then in my G-30 or CZ 97B

the G-30 seems to be less finicky, and very hungry

Leave it to the ever pleasant Hans...thanks for your ever-loving comments. You always bring such sunlight and wisdom to this platform. Did I question the cause of setback? Did I make any claim that you find untruthful?

And the 1911 platform is well known by all shooters to cause more setback than most other semi-auto platforms during the chambering process. Not sure what made you think I claimed it was setback while in the magazine. Please re-read the post your highness.
How many times had that round been chambered?

I thought this mostly happened with S&W .40 ? Or is it that it's just usually only problematic with S&W .40 ?
.40 was one particular run (2, maybe 3 lots?) of 180gr HydraShok in the mid 1990’s causing setback and kabooms due to poor neck tension. Beyond that, I haven’t heard much.

.357 Sig, though, is notorious for setback due to the short neck.

.40 was one particular run (2, maybe 3 lots?) of 180gr HydraShok in the mid 1990’s causing setback and kabooms due to poor neck tension. Beyond that, I haven’t heard much.

.357 Sig, though, is notorious for setback due to the short neck.
Ah. I must have gotten the 2 confused.

Back