testtest

Carrying a Handgun Without a Belt

Taking directly from the article:

PDN article/video: "CARRYING A HANDGUN WITHOUT A BELT" said:
The idea of always wearing a gun belt as part of your handgun carry is another old cliche that is nevertheless usually good advice.

I'd say that the idea of a "belly band" is itself somewhat cliché, with the advent of systems such as the PHLster Enigma - https://www.phlsterholsters.com/enigma-landing/ (which was of-course preceded by the lesser-known RuncibleWorks YP - which PHLster himself openly acknowledged as inspiration).

But the truth of the matter is that the old "belly band" isn't really cliché, right? It's just one very specialized solution -just like the Enigma- which gets into that narrower space/niche that makes it Goldilocks-ideal for a select few, and which in-turn means that it may be considerably less so for the vast majority.

What I mean here is that as we step further off the path of the "typical," unique and individual solutions become more the norm, but the variability that's within this new "norm" becomes much more diverse.

I'll use myself as an example. Even though I started off "exercise carrying" with the typical belly-band type holster, I quickly found that it didn't work well for me (likely based on my unique body anatomy and how much I perspire). I then used my old "ThunderWear," but clocked it so that the gun was positioned as I usually favor. When that didn't provide me with the retention that I wanted (and since it also required me to step-down to a smaller handgun, too, which I wasn't fond of), I built my current rig from a simple Safariland duty belt, paired with an OWB concealment holster (Calculated Sentience/Klauban Kloak). This "gun belt" rig is thus independent of what I am wearing and self-anchoring (in much the same way that modern, slimmer. "war belts" are) - under the typical exercise T-shirt, it conceals just as well as my belted, IWB, EDC concealment setup.

Overall, it's not that I don't disagree with the article/video - I just think that it's a bit, well, cliché - like it's stuck in the same old-think that it's poking fun at. :p

Nothing is really all that new under the sun. And the old standards can, and have, seen improvements (i.e. the UnityTactical/Vertex CLUTCH - https://www.unitytactical.com/product/clutch-belt/).

Secondly, similar to the failure to mention the newer Enigma, I found the discussion of non-belt-requiring holster hardware to also be a bit dated. Many of us - myself included - were overjoyed when ULtICLIP came onto the market, but more recently, some have moved-on to Discreet Carry Concepts (DCC - https://discreetcarryconcepts.com) clips, which boast the impressive word-of-mouth recommendations of ShivWorks ECQC alumni as being the only holster clip that consistently survives the rigors of that particular crucible.

Those of us from the XD community know that Mr. Pincus has always favored CrossBreed and ULtICLIP products - and that's certainly fine: I have no bone to pick with any industry personality/SME throwing their weight behind product endorsements as they see fit. But that said, I think that even as they favor certain products, it shouldn't preclude their examination of others, particularly in articles/videos that are designed to expand the knowledge-base of their readers/viewers.

Back