testtest

Chances of New Federal Gun Restrictions?

wmg1299

Professional
It has become obvious that the recent tragedies in Buffalo and Uvalde have kicked the "we need to do something" crowd into high gear. I expect a great deal of new "proposed" legislation at the Federal level. While the usual suspects will continue to demand a ban on "Assault Weapons" and "High (i.e. standard) Capacity" magazines, my gut tells me that neither of these stand a chance of passing.

If I had to guess, I think that it is a legitimate possibility that Congress will raise the age for the purchase of semi-automatic rifles to 21 (with a possible exception for members of the military). While I doubt that preventing a 19 year-old from buying a Ruger 10-22 will make anyone any safer, I worry that this type of restriction may be palatable to enough lawmakers to pass. What are your thoughts on the likelihood that we see new restrictions on the 2nd Amendment in the upcoming months? I was too young/ignorant to pay attention to the 1994 AWB, and am interested to know the thoughts of my elders who observed the entire process.

The AWB was a joke! Manufacturers just made them without a flash suppressor and bayonet lug.
As it is there has been a drug war since what, 1970ish? Still there is no shortage of illegal drugs on the streets and prices have been consistent since I was in grade school in the 70's.
Remember 2020 defund the police? Cops were to be neutered and a social worker was to show up instead because one side of the of the two parties stated that law enforcement triggered too many people and were bad.
Look man, Murder is illegal and most murders back in the day carried the death penalty, yet murders still happen it didn't dissuade folks from murdering people. There are very tough laws on the books one more will not make this all suddenly go away and stop!
What we need is to start putting lunatics back in the mental asylum instead of back on the streets and make LEO deal with them time and time again. There were lots of comments this last kid made that he was planning this, yet no one did anything thing about it.
I could go on, this just chaps my posterior! Lets not even get into the fact that here at Uvalde and Parkland LEO made horrible decisions that cost too many lives.
I'll stop now!

There are 9 senators right now negotiating away your rights. On the table are universal background checks, increasing the age to 21 and red flag laws. None of which would have prevented these shootings. I won't get into the rant about the effing back door of that school being propped open by a teacher or any of the other actual safety issues that the gun community has been advocating for years and years.

I really hope nothing happens, but I think there is a good chance we are going to see some kind of new and useless gun legislation. I feel it may be what anti's consider "Minimal" because most of the Ds remember losing 9 seats and getting smeared at the polls after the last time they forced a vote on "Gun safety" legislation. I also think the progressive wing is going to go after the "Moderate" wing because they won't be attempting to take it further. Best we all start contacting our senators now and remind them of what happened in 2013. ;)

The media jumped on the Uvalde story from the beginning and hasn't lifted the foot from the neck of it yet. 24/7 on every channel and every day on the few newspapers we have left. Bloggers, podcasts, comments, opinions, ad nauseum. Politicians elbow each other away from the microphones so they can spew their gun control vitriol. They don't know how guns work but by God, they know how to speak sound bites for the masses. Right from the get go little was known, but here was the crisis they were waiting for.
Since then, copycats have begun to emerge. Who knows, maybe this creep was a copycat or publicity seeker himself. You won't hear about the woman in West Virginia who with her legal pistol killed a man wielding an AR-15. No one else was injured according to the AP.
The urge to do something, even if it is wrong is strong. As they say, haste makes waste. Laws hastily crafted are likely to be heavily flawed. We currently do not support the laws we have on the books and yet the usual suspects are clamoring for more.
Someone did not lock the darn door. Can we please insist on this now and in the future? Move on to another issue and let those poor folks grieve.

It has become obvious that the recent tragedies in Buffalo and Uvalde have kicked the "we need to do something" crowd into high gear. I expect a great deal of new "proposed" legislation at the Federal level. While the usual suspects will continue to demand a ban on "Assault Weapons" and "High (i.e. standard) Capacity" magazines, my gut tells me that neither of these stand a chance of passing.

If I had to guess, I think that it is a legitimate possibility that Congress will raise the age for the purchase of semi-automatic rifles to 21 (with a possible exception for members of the military). While I doubt that preventing a 19 year-old from buying a Ruger 10-22 will make anyone any safer, I worry that this type of restriction may be palatable to enough lawmakers to pass. What are your thoughts on the likelihood that we see new restrictions on the 2nd Amendment in the upcoming months? I was too young/ignorant to pay attention to the 1994 AWB, and am interested to know the thoughts of my elders who observed the entire process.
maybe not pass on the federal level, but most certainly on the state level. my state has several Bills up for vote in the state house, to limit magazine capacity to 10 rnds. (and NO grandfathering what you already own..!!!!)

then the "assault rifle" ban as well.

the local chapter of the NRA and another pro 2A organization are fighting this, as well as a few, very few politicians are helping. but this is pretty much a Dem controlled stated, what are our chances...????

maybe not pass on the federal level, but most certainly on the state level. my state has several Bills up for vote in the state house, to limit magazine capacity to 10 rnds. (and NO grandfathering what you already own..!!!!)

then the "assault rifle" ban as well.

the local chapter of the NRA and another pro 2A organization are fighting this, as well as a few, very few politicians are helping. but this is pretty much a Dem controlled stated, what are our chances...????
At least one of these proposed federal " Common sense gun safety" laws will be very hard to enforce in my state. Red flag laws and possibly universal background checks will be tough to enforce here as state officials are barred by law, under penalty of permanent disbarment and a $50,000 fine, from enforcing any new, unconstitutional gun laws. In practice this means the feds will be on their own enforcing these things.

I remember the AWB, because I bought my first handgun that year complete with a 10-day waiting period and 10-round magazine.

Our society is changing, and because of the criminal actions of a minority I believe so will the freedoms of the law abiding majority under the 2A. We have work to do as a society. It would be nice to see national reciprocity as part of the discussion.

There are 9 senators right now negotiating away your rights. On the table are universal background checks, increasing the age to 21 and red flag laws. None of which would have prevented these shootings. I won't get into the rant about the effing back door of that school being propped open by a teacher or any of the other actual safety issues that the gun community has been advocating for years and years.

I really hope nothing happens, but I think there is a good chance we are going to see some kind of new and useless gun legislation. I feel it may be what anti's consider "Minimal" because most of the Ds remember losing 9 seats and getting smeared at the polls after the last time they forced a vote on "Gun safety" legislation. I also think the progressive wing is going to go after the "Moderate" wing because they won't be attempting to take it further. Best we all start contacting our senators now and remind them of what happened in 2013. ;)
Raising the age to 21 and UBC would have likely prevented both Buffalo and Uvalde, as the shooters were 18 in both cases…the Uvalde shooter bought both of his rifles at a gun store, so definitely there.

Don’t mistake this for agreeing with the laws, but facts are facts.

Raising the age to 21 and UBC would have likely prevented both Buffalo and Uvalde, as the shooters were 18 in both cases…the Uvalde shooter bought both of his rifles at a gun store, so definitely there.

As I have said before, I have no problem with raising the age to 21. Florida did it, I am glad we did

They will try to pass something regarding guns and then pat themselves on the back for "doing something", while again failing to address the real issues. You have to fix the mental health system, and get the loonies into NICS, no matter what age they are.
which is why i am totally against sealing the records of youth, when they turn 18 (in my state)..i say, keep the records open, so that the arrest records on them stay open, like it does on an adult for LIFE. and if one has been deemed mentally unfit, why should that be sealed at 18..????

by sealing the records of youth, to me only makes matters worse, cuz it hides the truth about that person, that may be very important, in the future, like buying guns???

which is why i am totally against sealing the records of youth, when they turn 18 (in my state)..i say, keep the records open, so that the arrest records on them stay open, like it does on an adult for LIFE. and if one has been deemed mentally unfit, why should that be sealed at 18..????

by sealing the records of youth, to me only makes matters worse, cuz it hides the truth about that person, that may be very important, in the future, like buying guns???
They can be indexed in NICS without unsealing the records. LE has access to juvenile records, they are just not public record in most states

Something further restricting our Constitutional rights will most likely get passed. We have devolved to governance by those who yell and throw temper tantrums and make the most noise. I am very sad for my grandkids. What a mess WE have made of a great country.

First, as far as the mentally irregular are concerned, we need to open up Mental Health facilities, aka. "Insane Asylums" again and make sure that they are run properly. The reason for their closing, besides funding and political correctness, was the hellish treatment and conditions that the patients were subject to. People need to be committed to these places. The vast majority of the homeless would be off the streets and no longer a danger to the public or themselves. This would cut way down on the number of juveniles with mental health issues being ignored and allowed to continue into something like these mass shootings.

Next, we need to stop giving special treatment to juveniles who commit serious/heinous crimes. If you make the decision to rape, murder, etc., you should be treated as an adult. Your name SHOULD be public and in the news story. Period. We need to not only start putting prisoners back out on chain gangs working the streets and fields, we need to start sending the ones in Juvenile detention out working the fields as well. They need to be breaking a sweat and busting their butts as punishment for the less serious crimes. Let them get a real taste of what the rest of their life will be like if they continue in their chosen life of crime. Let them understand that if they wind up in prison, they will be breaking their back the rest of their natural life for 3 squares a day, an 8 x 8 room, cot and restroom facilities. They will never benefit from their hard work the way the rest of civilized society does. That is how it should be. I would be willing to bet that would cut down drastically on the repeat offenders and the numbers committing crimes and going to prison.

And anybody who makes threats to "shoot up a school, store, etc." will have be arrested, charged, imprisoned or committed if deemed mentally disturbed, and they will have a permanent record. If they are juveniles and aren't mentally disturbed, but said it as a "joke", then they will have a record and be unable to legally purchase a firearm. If they made a mistake, then they will have to jump through hoops for a judge and the criminal justice system to prove that they deserve to have that right restored. Then they should be monitored for the rest of their life.

Last edited:
Here's an excerpt from an email the Virginia Citizens Defense League sent out the other day. It's good to bear in mind when you hear folks pushing gun control:

Amy Swearer, a legal fellow with the Heritage Foundation, tweeted out three key-points on the recent shooting in Uvalde. A person doing one or more of the three things shows they are either not serious about finding a solution or they are trolling you. In either case, they should be ignored. Paraphrasing and enhancing her points:

1. Invoking the gun laws of countries that don’t have a Second Amendment, thereby denying their citizens/subjects the right to keep and bear arms and the right to self-defense. For those countries, gun ownership is a privilege used only for hunting or target shooting and only government can protect you IF it chooses to do so. Protect yourself and go to jail.
  2. Using mass murders as an excuse to demand policies that wouldn’t have prevented those same mass murders. You know the thinking: “we have to do SOMETHING.”
  3. Saying that if a gun owner doesn’t agree with proposed gun control, the gun owner is pro-child-murder, or a racist, misogynist, homophobe. When someone uses personal attacks in a debate, they have acknowledged that they have lost, and personal attacks are all they have left to defend their position.

Well said!

Back