testtest

Cleaning equipment preferences

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
What do you usually use to clean your guns barrel? I mostly use a brass jag in the proper caliber, sometimes I will use a brass slotted tip. On bore brushes, I did use bronze brushes, recently I tried the polymer bore brushes, they seem to work ok, just wanted to see what you guys use.

What do you usually use to clean your guns barrel? I mostly use a brass jag in the proper caliber, sometimes I will use a brass slotted tip. On bore brushes, I did use bronze brushes, recently I tried the polymer bore brushes, they seem to work ok, just wanted to see what you guys use.
I’ve got what some folks might think are some peculiar methods.
No more bronze or metal bore brushes unless I have to. Only nylon or the like.
But my pref is the Ramrodz swabs, usually with Breakfree or perhaps a solvent. These can be used during long firing sessions without removing the barrel - just lock the slide back and swab from the muzzle end. No potential for scratching issues with a cotton swab!
Im no expert but I hope by doing it this way and more often, I can elim the need to remove excess fouling or copper by harsher means. (??).
PS that box of ramrodz came from Amazon. Pretty good kit.

Attachments

• 6D206A46-4872-41C4-9745-1D26CBCACC33.jpeg
    6D206A46-4872-41C4-9745-1D26CBCACC33.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
I use brass brushes.
After all, thousands of rounds of metal went down the barrel, sometimes very rapidly, so 3-4 passes of brass wont do a damn thing to the barrel

I’ve got what some folks might think are some peculiar methods.
No more bronze or metal bore brushes unless I have to. Only nylon or the like.
But my pref is the Ramrodz swabs, usually with Breakfree or perhaps a solvent. These can be used during long firing sessions without removing the barrel - just lock the slide back and swab from the muzzle end. No potential for scratching issues with a cotton swab!
Im no expert but I hope by doing it this way and more often, I can elim the need to remove excess fouling or copper by harsher means. (??).
PS that box of ramrodz came from Amazon. Pretty good kit.
By the way, I also found a box of nylon brushes. 20 or 25 in a box...

Attachments

• 1336A499-E7FD-48C4-BBBB-02FDA183C945.jpeg
    1336A499-E7FD-48C4-BBBB-02FDA183C945.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
I normally use brass brushes for bore size but have used nylon brush before. I see no concern with using brass bore brushes. I also will wrap a patch around the brush and apply Breakfree CLP before sending it down the bore.

I then follow it up with a jag and a clean patch till it comes out clean. It has worked for years so I think I will stick to it.

I use CLP solvent and soft cloth to clean bore .
After sighting in or hunting depending on rounds fired i do not clean it as a rule

i soak a patch with Hoppes.

i use the polymer cleaning rod for that.

after i clean everything else, i go back to the barrel, and i use either a brass or bronze brush, at the end of a metal rod.

i rotate the brush as it goes thru the barrel.

then, i use a nylon brush after that. rotating that as well.

i use several patches to clean the bore, rotating each time i use a new/clean patch, soaking at least one of them, for the first swipe thru.

then all dry patches. rotating each time as well.

then oil up a patch, and run that thru the barrel.

lube the rest of the gun with Weapon Shield.

i clean after EACH range visit

been doing this since day #1, ain't about to change, with the chemicals i use or my procedure.

only changes i have made are from Hoppes oil to weapon shield, and on my carry, i am using slip 2000 EWG

i rotate the brush as it goes thru the barrel.
Can you expound on that a bit for me?
In a smooth bore I could understand that.
On a rifled barrel I allow the brush to follow the "twist", thinking that will contact the most surface and wondering if rotating the brush would cause missing the area where the land base meets the groove?

Can you expound on that a bit for me?
In a smooth bore I could understand that.
On a rifled barrel I allow the brush to follow the "twist", thinking that will contact the most surface and wondering if rotating the brush would cause missing the area where the land base meets the groove?
i have 2 cleaning rods. one is "stationary" so to speak, so i rotate the brush as it travels thru the bore.

the other cleaning rod, has a "swivel" at the handle, and therefore, "rotates" with the rifling, all by itself.

most times, i use the "stationary" cleaning rod, as i have had the "swivel" rods, break part way into the bore.

i do the "rotating" of the brush, thru the revolver chambers as well.

after i either clean the barrel or the chambers, i then push/pull the cleaning brushes, both brass/bronze or nylon as a "back up" to cleaning a bit more

Back