testtest

Cleaning optic lenses

Ajones2

Elite
Founding Member
if you’re a hellcat OSP owner with a reflex lens, please read this

I normally don’t make stupid Mistakes by not thinking but caught myself thinking I knew how to clean my shield SMSc correctly and kinda screwed up.
I had some liquid glass cleaner that I got from a buck masters expo. I’ve used it on many surfaces and it does a good job so I didn’t think twice about it. I sprayed the cleaner on and wiped off with a microfiber cloth when I realized it started to take some of the non - reflective coating off.
The lens is still relatively clear and it doesn’t affect target acquisition but it still pisses me off that I messed it up.
so.. I ordered the RMSc from optics planet.
My best advice :
GO WATCH SPRINGFIELD/SHIELDS YOUTUBE VIDEO ON HOW TO CLEAN THE LENS.
You better believe I’m not screwing up the RMSc whenever I get it.

if you’re a hellcat OSP owner with a reflex lens, please read this

I normally don’t make stupid Mistakes by not thinking but caught myself thinking I knew how to clean my shield SMSc correctly and kinda screwed up.
I had some liquid glass cleaner that I got from a buck masters expo. I’ve used it on many surfaces and it does a good job so I didn’t think twice about it. I sprayed the cleaner on and wiped off with a microfiber cloth when I realized it started to take some of the non - reflective coating off.
The lens is still relatively clear and it doesn’t affect target acquisition but it still pisses me off that I messed it up.
so.. I ordered the RMSc from optics planet.
My best advice :
GO WATCH SPRINGFIELD/SHIELDS YOUTUBE VIDEO ON HOW TO CLEAN THE LENS.
You better believe I’m not screwing up the RMSc whenever I get it.
Ouch that’s a hard lesson to learn. Sorry that happened brother. Thanks for the advise. Feel free to post the video link here for others to see.

Haven’t had a chance to look yet put I took a screen shot

Attachments

• 03F21544-2F30-401D-8B1E-512FB68349EA.png
    03F21544-2F30-401D-8B1E-512FB68349EA.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 74B6DC5A-829A-436E-83F2-3750E65F7E76.png
    74B6DC5A-829A-436E-83F2-3750E65F7E76.png
    696.9 KB · Views: 303
I have over the years had issues with glass getting scratched up. Eyeglasses, camera lens, scopes... you name it.
The little lady at the Walmart Optical were I got the last Rx told me to do this.
If you can, power wash the lens. Eyeglasses get the hot spray at the sink.
Lenses that I dare not wash get a jet blast of clean air from a spray can.
Then the lens is washed with Zeiss Lens Cleaner. Spray some on and scrub
using just my CLEAN fingers.
Then use a clean eyeglass cloth FREE from Walmart to dry.

Do not under any circumstances use a paper product. Toilet paper, paper
towel, Kleenex or anything supposed to be soooo soft to your nose.
All these paper products have minute/microscopic pieces of metal in them
and will scratch the lens.

Following her advise my 3 year old glasses have not one scratch. Neither do my
cameras or scopes.

Available from Wally World or here: https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Lens-Care-Pack-Microfiber/

I keep some wipes and a cloth in the range bag.

I have over the years had issues with glass getting scratched up. Eyeglasses, camera lens, scopes... you name it.
The little lady at the Walmart Optical were I got the last Rx told me to do this.
If you can, power wash the lens. Eyeglasses get the hot spray at the sink.
Lenses that I dare not wash get a jet blast of clean air from a spray can.
Then the lens is washed with Zeiss Lens Cleaner. Spray some on and scrub
using just my CLEAN fingers.
Then use a clean eyeglass cloth FREE from Walmart to dry.

Do not under any circumstances use a paper product. Toilet paper, paper
towel, Kleenex or anything supposed to be soooo soft to your nose.
All these paper products have minute/microscopic pieces of metal in them
and will scratch the lens.

Following her advise my 3 year old glasses have not one scratch. Neither do my
cameras or scopes.

Available from Wally World or here: https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Lens-Care-Pack-Microfiber/

I keep some wipes and a cloth in the range bag.
Great advice. Thank you so much !

I use a lens cleaner I got from my optometrist. It says it is for AR, Glass, Plastic Lenses. I have used it on my RMSc with a lens cleaning micro fiber cloth to dry it and it has worked just fine. I also us the soft paddels designed to clean a 35 MM Sensor in a camera called Sensor Swabs available from most camera stores to apply the cleaner. Unlike Q-tips they don't leave any fibers or residue.

I use a lens cleaner I got from my optometrist. It says it is for AR, Glass, Plastic Lenses. I have used it on my RMSc with a lens cleaning micro fiber cloth to dry it and it has worked just fine. I also us the soft paddels designed to clean a 35 MM Sensor in a camera called Sensor Swabs available from most camera stores to apply the cleaner. Unlike Q-tips they don't leave any fibers or residue.
Cool... thanks for the tips! Mind posting a picture of the sensor swabs ?

Because they are designed to clean the delicate and expensive sensor in a 35mm camera you know they have been well designed and engineered. Avoiding steaks, oils and dust on a sensor is critical to top performance on an expensive camera be it Nikon, Cannon or Leica. The last thing you want to do is scratch or leave residue or marks on the sensor.

I use oleophobic cleaner with a microfiber cloth. It's a mild soap that will leave a waterproof coating. Never use alcohol based cleaners on tech and eye pro.

That's funny because Sig recommends alcohol for cleaning their RMR the Romeo Zero:
From their manual:
CLEANING & MAINTENANCE:

After repeated fire, the lens may become clouded with gunpowder residue. For best results, it is

recommended that the outer surface of the lens (the side closest to the muzzle) be cleaned, along with

the firearm, after each use. To clean the lens, follow these steps:

1. Keep firearm pointed in a safe direction

2. Ensure firearm is unloaded

3. Dampen the end of a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol

4. Apply dampened swab to lens and polish in a small circular pattern, beginning in the center and moving

out to the edges.

If the ROMEOZero is mounted on a pistol that gets carried inside or underneath clothing on a regular

basis, it is possible to collect clothing fibers or lint in the emitter area, causing a temporary loss or

change in appearance of the red dot. With the firearm unloaded with the safety on and pointed in a

safe direction, use compressed air to blow out the emitter area on the ROMEOZero, located on top of

the sight, between the mount screw holes.

The ROMEOZero™ should never be submerged or flushed with cleaning solvents.

Back