testtest

Cleaning Rod Comments...

Jfal

Professional
Having picked up a new rifle that cost me more than any other firearm I own, I figured I better follow all the rules regarding care and cleaning. Specifically I am talking about 1-piece cleaning rods, likely to be coated or fiber in construction. Anyone have likes or dislikes on this? I see the Tipton and a few others. Interesting how my local super-shop (biggest gun-only store I frequent) hasn't had inventory for 1-piece rods for about 18 months, and none of the other stores I hit have any inventory either. Which leads me to Brownells, Midway, etc. out of necessity. I'd support the local guy, but I can't...none of them have ANY 1-piece rods. 1 question...sorry for the wordiness...is the reason we have both a .22-cal rod and a .30-cal rod because the .22-cal rod is too flexible in a .30-cal bore, causing rubbing inside the barrel, on the rifling? Actually they make 5-6 different "caliber" rods, all in different lengths. I get the length part, but what other reason could you not run a single rod in tiny (.22) and medium (.30) calibers, other than flex? I can't believe a .30-cal rod doesn't flex in a .30-cal bore enough and touch the bore wall...hence the carbon fiber or coating to protect the rifling. Anyone have thoughts on just using a rod that fits a .22 on everything? Yes, I know they make the jag threads smaller to force us into buying more than one rod, but that's another issue...

I love the stuff from bore-tech Sawman looks pretty good, and in stock...we will see...

Killer, I've only used segmented brass rods my whole life and not thought much about it. Some folks here have a cow at the thought of anything but a 1-piece fiber rod with the most precise muzzle and chamber protectors. Just trying to figure out the best path forward. How did we survive the old days before all this crap was made?;)

I love the stuff from bore-tech Sawman looks pretty good, and in stock...we will see...

Killer, I've only used segmented brass rods my whole life and not thought much about it. Some folks here have a cow at the thought of anything but a 1-piece fiber rod with the most precise muzzle and chamber protectors. Just trying to figure out the best path forward. How did we survive the old days before all this crap was made?;)
Right πŸ€£πŸ˜‰

I always thought there was to much into what cleaning rod to use, when I did benchrest they used coated 1-piece Dewey rods, I to always used the segment type rods on my rifles, no issues, personally I think it’s just media hype saying mine is better then yours, just my opinion

I agree about the multi-piece rods. I have one and just got bugged out by the internet. For all the people claiming segmented rods are bad I don’t think I’ve ever seen quantifiable evidence of a barrel that’s been damaged by one. It’s like the guys who worry about the quality of their patches because they don’t want fibers or lint in their barrel. Uh… guess what the bad guys shirt is made of!

I agree about the multi-piece rods. I have one and just got bugged out by the internet. For all the people claiming segmented rods are bad I don’t think I’ve ever seen quantifiable evidence of a barrel that’s been damaged by one. It’s like the guys who worry about the quality of their patches because they don’t want fibers or lint in their barrel. Uh… guess what the bad guys shirt is made of!
Oh god, don't use a Q-tip. You need special gun cleaning swabs.

Oh god, don't use a Q-tip. You need special gun cleaning swabs.
Only person who doesnt like q tips is my wife when I steal them for gun cleaning πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
6E92B6A9-335D-4074-831F-12F50ABAEB46.jpeg
πŸ˜‰

Those last few were what I was looking for, thanks! (Bob, Simon, Annihilator, Killer). I have heard in a shop a "precision" shooter telling another how fragile a muzzle and chamber can be, and using a segment rod is "idiotic", otherwise your accuracy goes to shite.

BTW Simon, I looked back at all previous threads addressing this specific topic and there were none....just one or 2 covering chemicals primarily...I didn't want or intend to clog up the site with previously hashed topics because I was too lazy to look...if it occurs to me to be a question worth asking, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering. I know I'm special...just not that special.

I always like to discuss these things because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a community that deals in so many absolutes. Being a relative new shooter I’ve tried to be a student of the game learn as much as possible and so often I’ll see something like the cleaning rod and think - Oh crap, I need to dump this really nice cleaning rod set I just bought for an expensive carbon fiber rod. When I finally calm down (typically after expensive gizmo shows up) it occurs to me that the whole discussion doesn’t make sense to me. That’s why I like this forum so much, because it has a considerable volume of big brain, tons of experience type guys who you can have a measured conversation about What If I Did This or Is it True That?

Having picked up a new rifle that cost me more than any other firearm I own, I figured I better follow all the rules regarding care and cleaning. Specifically I am talking about 1-piece cleaning rods, likely to be coated or fiber in construction. Anyone have likes or dislikes on this? I see the Tipton and a few others. Interesting how my local super-shop (biggest gun-only store I frequent) hasn't had inventory for 1-piece rods for about 18 months, and none of the other stores I hit have any inventory either. Which leads me to Brownells, Midway, etc. out of necessity. I'd support the local guy, but I can't...none of them have ANY 1-piece rods. 1 question...sorry for the wordiness...is the reason we have both a .22-cal rod and a .30-cal rod because the .22-cal rod is too flexible in a .30-cal bore, causing rubbing inside the barrel, on the rifling? Actually they make 5-6 different "caliber" rods, all in different lengths. I get the length part, but what other reason could you not run a single rod in tiny (.22) and medium (.30) calibers, other than flex? I can't believe a .30-cal rod doesn't flex in a .30-cal bore enough and touch the bore wall...hence the carbon fiber or coating to protect the rifling. Anyone have thoughts on just using a rod that fits a .22 on everything? Yes, I know they make the jag threads smaller to force us into buying more than one rod, but that's another issue...
well its not a 1 piece rod but it is 1 piece....I like bore snakes.
D327982F-E1BB-4A44-884A-E04C68D5577F.jpeg

Back