testtest

Cleaning rods

With most rods being sized so 22cal (and some smaller) can be used for various bore sizes are you satisfied with the wiggle? From ss, chrome lined and other coatings on the bore that some material can scare the inside. Do you use brass, ss or some other rod materials? You don't (most likely don't) use a "1 size fits all" brush, mop or jag, so why not use a rod close to bore size! Thoughts!

I use a Dewey coated pistol rod with a swiveling handle, I use appropriate sized brass jags for which ever caliber gun I am cleaning, appropriate sized prosper bronze brushes. Don’t care much for jags personally.

I've been thinking about a swivel, so it travels with the twist. Not sure if it's good or less helpful? On pistols it's easy peasy. I haven't tries/used any of the real avid long brushes or bore jags yet, but will soon. I'm awaiting on some cleaner to come in 1st.

With most rods being sized so 22cal (and some smaller) can be used for various bore sizes are you satisfied with the wiggle? From ss, chrome lined and other coatings on the bore that some material can scare the inside. Do you use brass, ss or some other rod materials? You don't (most likely don't) use a "1 size fits all" brush, mop or jag, so why not use a rod close to bore size! Thoughts!
i too have a cleaning rod (generic brand, with a T handle) that rotates as it follows the rifling. i honestly cannot say what it is made of, certainly not brass however.

i never use the mop, the first few times i used one, it got stuck in the barrel. so i just try and get bronze or brass brushes in sets instead. same reason why i never use a brass jag.....i buy for the 9mm, and the dang things gets stuck. i use that plastic cleaning rods, to run patches thru.

I use a Dewey coated pistol rod with a swiveling handle, I use appropriate sized brass jags for which ever caliber gun I am cleaning, appropriate sized prosper bronze brushes. Don’t care much for jags personally.
Correction…. I do use jags, I don’t use the slotted tip like in pic below

1669240891603.jpeg

Having recently acquired both an M1A and an M1 Garand, this issue has been on my mind...

I just got M1 buddies and Dewey muzzle guides, but I keep thinking that snakes make infinitely more sense...given that the bore requires less cleaning than ANY other part of each rifle....(chambers notwithstanding, I got one of those ratchet brushes and they are the bomb).

I use stainless steel GunSlick rods. .22 size for my .22 bores and .30 for my 30 caliber bore. I'd never use a tiny .22 sized rod for my .308.
I've not ever used a coated rod or brass. They also come in larger diameter for larger bores and shotgun

I got into using Dewey coated rods back in the 1990’s when I shot benchrest Competition and also started using brass jags then, I did use the slotted tips before then on all my guns, got edjamacated then on the coated rods and jags

I have and use a Dewey Rod system but I got hooked on the bore snakes and they seem to work pretty good. But, I have heard good and bad about using bore snakes but so far they haven't let me down but when my "toys" need a really good cleaning I'll break out the Dewey... Just my two cents...
Bore snakes do a great job for a quick barrel cleaning when combined with a squirt of CLP. The only issue I heard of with bore snakes is that using them through a really hot barrel can cause the nylon rope to melt to the inside of the barrel. I've only heard that but I've never confirmed the legitimacy of the story.

Bore snakes do a great job for a quick barrel cleaning when combined with a squirt of CLP. The only issue I heard of with bore snakes is that using them through a really hot barrel can cause the nylon rope to melt to the inside of the barrel. I've only heard that but I've never confirmed the legitimacy of the story.
You mean people actually shoot their yeet cannons that much that they heat up……..😬😬

The big problem with bore snakes is most people never clean them, and they can get grit embedded in them which can damage the bore.

Also—they don’t get the bore nearly as clean as patches & brush will. Just because it looks clean doesn’t mean it is.

The big problem with bore snakes is most people never clean them, and they can get grit embedded in them which can damage the bore.

Also—they don’t get the bore nearly as clean as patches & brush will. Just because it looks clean doesn’t mean it is.

The ones I use on ARs are cables with a regular attachment at the end which fit all the typical cleaning rod attachments. They work pretty well. I also use bore snakes on pistols, but every so often when I get bored I break everything down and do a deep clean, usually with rods.

I only use boresnakes on shotguns for quick clean and lube between courses or in the middle of a high round count session.

That seems very likely. What would be a good way to clean and bring back to close to original state I wonder? Hot soapy water without bleach or softener.

Back