testtest

Cleaning rods

SimonRL

Professional
For pistols I use a Hoppes one-piece Elite carbon fiber rod. It has ball bearings in the base of the handle that allows the rod to rotate extremely smoothly. For my ARs I use a Tipton carbon fiber rod and I clean from the chamber with a brush and jags. I use one of the Real Avid vice blocks that inserts into the mag well. It makes cleaning ARs easy.

Although I have two kits of rods that thread together to make different lengths I’ve been using a vinyl coated cable to clean my M1A I only use nylon brushes and soft brass connectors to avoid scratching the barrel bore and clean from the chamber to the muzzle, basically cleaning in the direction of bullet travel. This is after I use the M1A ratchet brush on the chamber. I’ve had success with this method so I stick with what works.

BobT

Elite
Although I have two kits of rods that thread together to make different lengths I’ve been using a vinyl coated cable to clean my M1A I only use nylon brushes and soft brass connectors to avoid scratching the barrel bore and clean from the chamber to the muzzle, basically cleaning in the direction of bullet travel. This is after I use the M1A ratchet brush on the chamber. I’ve had success with this method so I stick with what works.
I am also a big fan of the Otis system of vinyl coated cables and brass attachments. They work well for me in both my pistols and my rifles. I also like their patch system which forms a cone to get all parts of the barrel touched in one pass. They have one kit which is the size of a baseball that has all you need to clean an AR15/M16 in the field. It is my understanding that this is the kit the Army issues to the troops.