testtest

Compact 1911 using hollow points

Dadavis93

Operator
a few months back I got a really good deal on a springfield 1911 micro 45 up until recently I have only put fmj through it. I've started carrying it a little more now and I decided to feed it some hollow points which is where my question comes in no matter the brand it will not cycle hollow points now i did buy it used so I'm wondering if the magazine could be the reason. I was researching the gun and realized that it came with a 7 round aftermarket mag it should have had a 6 round magazine. So my question is if I was to get a 6 round magazine is there a chance that it would cycle hollow points correctly?

A friend of mine bought a Rock Island compact 1911 in .45
The manufacturer said not to use hollow points, have no idea why..
He gave the feed ramp a polish and it works great.

Where did they say that? I’ve owned several RIA’s (my buddy carries one-a compact—I used to have, in fact) and never saw anything about not using JHP’s...

Yeah, try a different mag first.

Also, look at HP’s with a more rounded profile—HydraShok or Golden Saber are good examples, as is Hornady’s XTP.
If I get lucky enough to find any of those ill be sure to try them i think I've been using hornady not sure which one right off the top of my head, and a couple others ive been able to find locally

I have 4 Ultra size 1911's and all of them will feed hollow points.I would try a Wilson Combat 47OXY.
If it cycles with FMJ reliably there should be no reason it will not in hollow points.
Thats what I was thinking but I've put probably 300 or 400 rounds through this gun with very few malfunctions until i tried hollow points the first one will feed after that its nothing but jams.

If I get lucky enough to find any of those ill be sure to try them i think I've been using hornady not sure which one right off the top of my head, and a couple others ive been able to find locally

If it’s critical defense, that could be the problem; that rubber plug in the nose can work like a brake pad and lock it up.

Critical Duty doesn’t usually have that issue, but it’s not a good choice in short barrels...tends not to expand as it should.

If it’s critical defense, that could be the problem; that rubber plug in the nose can work like a brake pad and lock it up.

Critical Duty doesn’t usually have that issue, but it’s not a good choice in short barrels...tends not to expand as it should.
Alright dug my ammo out ive got hornady subsonic 230 grain xtp
And fiocchi 200 grain xtphp
I've tried others with little success this is just what I currently have

Rock Island Armory Warranty RMA Form 150 North Smart Way, Pahrump, NV 89060. E- Support@armscor.com Rock Island Armory’s warranty covers its firearms and parts. We offer Limited Lifetime Warranty on our products for their intended purpose. As with any product, abuse, Gunsmithing by an unqualified person and normal wear and tear are excluded. Additionally, if the firearm was modified and/or repaired by an unqualified gunsmith without permission from Rock Island Armory, then the warranty will be void. If warranty work should be required, return the firearm to the address listed below. There is no refund for the shipping cost. Gunsmithing services are available by registered Rock Island Armory gunsmiths. Please email support@armscor.com. Armscor / Rock Island Armory Warranty Repair Center 150 North Smart Way, Pahrump, NV 89060, Email: Support@armscor.com Limited Lifetime Warranty Important Warranty Information Our Rock Island Armory 1911 Pistols are warranted to function only with Factory FMJ Brass Cased Ammo and the Original Factory Magazine

a few months back I got a really good deal on a springfield 1911 micro 45 up until recently I have only put fmj through it. I've started carrying it a little more now and I decided to feed it some hollow points which is where my question comes in no matter the brand it will not cycle hollow points now i did buy it used so I'm wondering if the magazine could be the reason. I was researching the gun and realized that it came with a 7 round aftermarket mag it should have had a 6 round magazine. So my question is if I was to get a 6 round magazine is there a chance that it would cycle hollow points correctly?
There is nothing wrong with 230 grain ball ammo for self defense.

If you really get down to it, if you use reloaded or remanufactured ammo, you actually void any gun warranty, no matter what brand gun you have, they all state factory new ammo. It’s in all the owners manuals, even Springfield’s.

There is nothing wrong with 230 grain ball ammo for self defense.
I don’t know the ballistics of .45, as I don’t have one, but the idea of using FMJ for self defense has one major problem, over penetration. We are responsible for every round fired and where it goes. If I’m shooting HP’s at least I have a defense that I did what I can be reasonably expected to do to reduce collateral damage. With the technology of modern day rounds there’s no reason to be carrying ball ammo around.

I don’t know the ballistics of .45, as I don’t have one, but the idea of using FMJ for self defense has one major problem, over penetration. We are responsible for every round fired and where it goes. If I’m shooting HP’s at least I have a defense that I did what I can be reasonably expected to do to reduce collateral damage. With the technology of modern day rounds there’s no reason to be carrying ball ammo around.
1602196276545.png

Don’t say I didn’t give you something.......🤪🤪🤪🤪

Back