testtest

Compact Range Bag

Jah_Happy

Alpha
Edit: Ended up going with the Osage River Light Duty bag. Extremely happy with it so far, thanks for all the suggestions!

Hey guys / gals,

Im in the market for a new small (compact) range bag. I just need something to hold 1-2 handguns and the usual ear protection, ammo, cleaning, etc. I just dont want something huge like vacation luggage lol.

Any thoughts on these from Amazon? I appreciate your insight.

Reebow Tactical:

Orca Tactical:

Osage River Light Duty:

DBTAC small:

Last edited:
I have the Orca bag that you linked to Amazon. I get quite a bit gear in there for my needs. I don't carry pistols in it, but there is room in the center compartment, and there are dividers so that other gear doesn't come in contact with the pistols. Hardware for the strap and hardware on the bag is metal, not plastic. I've weighed my bag and it usually runs 13-14 lbs loaded, which includes usually up to 200 rounds. My pistols I carry in gun rugs in another bag. In one side pocket I carry single stack mags, and on the other side I carry the dbl stack mags. No slots for AR mags, but could be stowed in center compt depending on your particular load-out. Two-way zippers are sturdy, and I added the 550 cord lanyards to the zipper pulls.
20200110_075024.jpg
20190320_090517.jpg
20190320_091715.jpg
20190320_091443.jpg
20190320_091608.jpg

Last edited:
How small?
I have a few of the original 5.11 push pack. These work great for quick trips to the range just to have prepped on standby.

PSA
If you happen to buy a hazard4 product. DO NOT USE YOUR REAL PHONE NUMBER! They have a sharing problem. I had a guy calling me for a week, literally begging me to buy something from a 3rd party.

I have the Orca bag that you linked to Amazon. I get quite a bit gear in there for my needs. I don't carry pistols in it, but there is room in the center compartment, and there are dividers so that other gear doesn't come in contact with the pistols. Hardware for the strap and hardware on the bag is metal, not plastic. I've weighed my bag and it usually runs 13-14 lbs loaded, which includes usually up to 200 rounds. My pistols I carry in gun rugs in another bag. In one side pocket I carry single stack mags, and on the other side I carry the dbl stack mags. No slots for AR mags, but could be stowed in center compt depending on your particular load-out. Two-way zippers are sturdy, and I added the 550 cord lanyards to the zipper pulls.View attachment 304View attachment 305View attachment 306View attachment 307View attachment 308
Wow thanks so much for the info and the pictures! Im definitely leaning towards this now.

I found one of these for $10 at a goodwill. It's been a really good bag so far. It's not too large either. Just enough to hold my mags, cleaning kit, tools, ear/eye pro.
I had a youtube suggested video on one of these, ill have to go back and watch it now. Thanks!

Similar to the sizes shown in the thread, but perhaps larger than you intended, I own the 5.11 range bag linked below from Midway USA. It holds all that I need and more. Regardless if it's not in your wheelhouse, good luck with your search.

I have multiple of the bag in the link below. I use it everything - range bag - carry on bag for flying - EDC bag. I even keep one with roadside emergency supplies in my truck and one in both the wife's and kids vehicles. And I have yet to find a gun that doesn't fit in the holster that comes with the bag.

Gun Backpack.jpg
My wife and I each have one and several friends have purchased as well. This is made by Case Club and sold on Amazon. I consider this bag to possibly be my best shooting accessory purchase. 12+mags 4 pistols and 400+rnds plus hearing glasses and other items. You can make it very heavy but its always lighter coming home.

I have a case club 3 gun case that I love. The weight when loaded is the only complaint, but what can you expect when you have an AR, shotgun, and pistol with multiple magazines. The case is very sturdy and has multiple locking points.

Last edited:
I have the Propper unit - the one that Mountain Man cited above - for my daughter's stuff. It really looks quite similar to the Reebow that you listed as your first link above, @Jah_Happy

Purchased on-sale at $40.

For the $10 that Mountain Man paid for it, that's awesome and a no-brainer, but at the $60 MSRP or even the $40 on-sale, I feel that it's a harder decision.

It's a great size for one or two pistols, mags, PPE, and a couple hundred rounds of ammo - I think it would fare well with what you have in-mind. I'll snap some pix when I get home in a few, and re-post below.

Durability is a bit of a concern: there's a couple of reviews on the Propper site which suggests that it's not as durable as one would have liked a $60 bag to be. Unfortunately, I've only had this bag for a few months, and what's more, my daughter's range-sessions are infrequent at-best, so my experiences here are limited.

As-promised:

This is the Propper I wrote about in my post above - https://www.propper.com/bags/propperr-range-bag.html , which appears to be identical to the Reebow listed in the OP.

Sorry about the messy backgroud. Our basement flooded last summer, and we're still in the process of the interior reno/consolidation. :)

webbing ext.jpg

^ Outside of the bag, main front pocket on the left (wide side). To the right is a webbing panel, on which I typically lace through the trauma bag (Dark Angel DARK Slim - https://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-slim-trauma-kit/), when my daughter goes to the range with me (this is her dedicated pistol range bag). The main pocket has two (very nice) pulls and a VELCRO ID-panel at the top.

Inside that long pocket we find:

long 2 mags.jpg

A six-mag bay (those are Magpul PMag GL17s, standard 15-round Glock 17 mags, so you now have an idea of size/overhead), and a zippered mesh pocket.

The bag has an orange lining throughout, which I find to be very nice as it helps offset dropped small, dark parts very well.

I've opened and laid out atop the bag the cleaning pad that's included in the bag. It's just slightly bigger than the bag itself.

On the other wide side of the bag:

long 1.jpg

Zippered compartment on the main bag side (versus the drop-down side, on the other side of the bag). My daughter likes to put her earpro and eyepro (in the black case with orange triangle symbol) in this pocket. It's nice that you can zipper it, to retain valuables. She's got spare batteries and her earplugs in there, too. Those are standard-sized muffs (ProEar Golds, the equivalent of today's "SC Tac" model) for-scale, and yes, everything fits inside and can be fully zipped with minimal fuss.

You can also see in this picture above how the DARK Slim laces into the webbing on that side of the bag.

long 1 and side 1.jpg

^ This picture shows this pocket closed. Zippers just have 550-cord pulls, not the nice rubberized pulls on the main long pocket opposite to it.

There's a couple of open pockets on the outside. That's a ballcap in one (which provides scale), and a pair of sports "compression sleeves" in the other (she's a kid, so she really doesn't like burns from spent cases: if she wears a short-sleeve shirt to the range, she'll slip the sleeves over her arms).

My fat left hand is holding open a rather reasonably sized pocket on the narrow side of the bag (opposite side is, remember, the webbing side). It has a partial-length (although more than reasonable coverage - I actually wouldn't hesitate to put, say, earpros or a med-kit in there; it's certainly large enough for a couple of bottles of water) VELCRO closure.

You can also get an idea of the main shoulder-strap hardware and setup in this picture.

Finally -

Inside.jpg

This is the inside of the bag. The interior on both long sides is covered by pile/loop VELCRO, while any area not is again high-vis lined in that same orange. You'll see in the upper right corner a hint of some webbing - that's actually a separate VELCRO(hook)-backed panel (I forgot to photograph this, I apologize) which allows you to mount additional gear, and it can mount, for example, on that long side where she's got her PPEs, which is covered in pile/loop VELCRO. The pile/loop lined interior of this main portion allows the ancorage of up to two divider inserts, which are also in the same hi-vis orange color as the rest of the liner (again, I apologize for having forgotten to show this feature), should you decide to subdivide this main compartment.

Instead of showing the inside empty, that's a stuffed-to-the-gills Midway USA Tactical Pistol Case - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870 . If you go to that product page, you'll see that this particular case has two zippered pop-up pockets on the back, along with a 7-bay mag-pouch on the front. In my picture, all of these pockets are filled, with the back pop-up pockets each carrying about 100 to 150 rounds of .357-SIG and 9x19 ammo. My daughter's G17 is laid on top of the bags for scale. The main compartment of the Midway USA Tactical Pistol Case itself can hold two G17-sized handguns in an L+inverted-L/stacked format.

The two zippers on this flap also have those nice rubberized pulls overlaying cordage.

A final clarification is that the two long side pouches both protrude away from the main compartment, so main compartment volume is not impacted by what you fill those two side pouches with.

Hope this helps!

I use the Blackhawk Sportster pistol range bag. It has two padded exterior pockets for pistols and magazines. The interior has room for ammo, hearing protection, cleaning and first aid kits. Perfect for my needs. Note. This is a soft case with a shoulder strap. You can find one on Amazon.

Last edited:
How small?
I have a few of the original 5.11 push pack. These work great for quick trips to the range just to have prepped on standby.

PSA
If you happen to buy a hazard4 product. DO NOT USE YOUR REAL PHONE NUMBER! They have a sharing problem. I had a guy calling me for a week, literally begging me to buy something from a 3rd party.
🤔 Maybe provide the number of the state Better Business Bureau. 😈

Back