testtest

confused on what I read and what I'm seeing with .300 Blackout Mag

Excuse my ignorance on this one... I recently purchased a DD PDW in .300 Blackout. Getting ready to go to the range Wednesday to test it out and zero in my red dot. But I was reading about the .300 Blackout mags and it was saying you CAN'T use a 7.62 mag with .300 Blackout, but you can use a 5.56 mag... BUT the 3 mags I got from PMAG for my .300 Blackout say on the top 7.62x35, but then at the bottom is says 300 BLK.

Am I missing something? Why is there a big difference in what I'm reading online from what the actual mag says as pictured below.

I just don't want to screw up and blow up my new PDW. ;)

Thx.
2022-06-12 13.22.19.jpg

Excuse my ignorance on this one... I recently purchased a DD PDW in .300 Blackout. Getting ready to go to the range Wednesday to test it out and zero in my red dot. But I was reading about the .300 Blackout mags and it was saying you CAN'T use a 7.62 mag with .300 Blackout, but you can use a 5.56 mag... BUT the 3 mags I got from PMAG for my .300 Blackout say on the top 7.62x35, but then at the bottom is says 300 BLK.

Am I missing something? Why is there a big difference in what I'm reading online from what the actual mag says as pictured below.

I just don't want to screw up and blow up my new PDW. ;)

Thx.
View attachment 28111
The only difference between a dedicated .300BLK mag and a 5.56 mag is the mag follower.

Because of the heavier grain weight of some .300BLK subsonic bullets there could be feeding issues when using a standard 5.56 mag.

Lower grain weight .300BLK rounds should cycle without issue in a 5.56 mag.

The 7.62 mag that you read about was most likely a 7.62x51 NATO mag which is the equivalent of a .308 round. The 7.62x51 mag is a lot larger in front to back width and won't fit into a standard AR-15 platform nor will it hold the .300BLK in place.

The 7.62 is the designation giving to the bullet width not the full cartridge length. There are a whole slew of different length 7.62 based cartridges on the market.

Stick with Magpul Pmags and you can't go wrong.

One thing to note is if you want to use .300BLK subsonic ammo and have it cycle reliably you will need a suppressor to add the necessary back pressure to cycle the bolt.

@Magnum50 a word of caution if you shoot 5.56 and .300BLK firearms.

A .300BLK will chamber in a 5.56 firearm and can be fired with catastrophic results with death a possible outcome. If you shoot both caliber types from AR mags be aware of not mixing magazines that may be loaded between firearms.

The .300BLK bullet is pressed into a shorter cut down 5.56 case.

.300BLK is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Enjoy your new PDW!

I don't know squat about a .300 BLK, but the idea of cutting down a 5.56 and loading a .30 caliber bullet sounds something like the 7.62X39. Are they similar ballistically?
Edit: Disregard, I looked them up myself.
Thanks

Last edited:
@Magnum50 a word of caution if you shoot 5.56 and .300BLK firearms.

A .300BLK will chamber in a 5.56 firearm and can be fired with catastrophic results with death a possible outcome. If you shoot both caliber types from AR mags be aware of not mixing magazines that may be loaded between firearms.

The .300BLK bullet is pressed into a shorter cut down 5.56 case.

.300BLK is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Enjoy your new PDW!
I use black mags for my 5.56 and FDE/tan mags for my .300BO.

That way there is no confusion at the range or during drills

Back