testtest

Crooked LGS

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I thought about selling my HK45 today since I don't shoot it that well due to the trigger. It's in cherry condition, 3 mags, etc. Pricks told me it's a 60% gun and offered me $300. They had one on the shelf for $950. I didn't expect to get full purchase price but come on, that's just taking advantage. I guess I'll keep it now.

I thought about selling my HK45 today since I don't shoot it that well due to the trigger. It's in cherry condition, 3 mags, etc. Pricks told me it's a 60% gun and offered me $300. They had one on the shelf for $950. I didn't expect to get full purchase price but come on, that's just taking advantage. I guess I'll keep it now.
Is a shame on that LGS benstt. Now know where not to go for something else now?
You may try another one or two LGS for comparables if nothing else if needing to sell?
Have only sold one gun. Even selling at a fair price, still regret it. Unless in dire straights would keep it too.

Just like tools. Same deal with the tool trucks. They'll pay you or trade you at 40% value tops, then sell for 80% or better. The dealer is not your friend. He/She is a businessman. Buy low, sell high.
You wanna get a decent return, sell on armslist or one of the pay services like gunbroker or something. Sell face to face local. Get what you're asking.

General rule in the stores I contract for is 50% of dealer price. 300-400 would be spot on, the store can just buy a new one unless they are hard up for inventory. It’s a used gun, the store does not know it’s history or even if it works. Every gun that comes through the store is “new” and only had a couple shots through it. The flip side perspective is that the store is not there to make you money, they are in business to make money……buy low sell high as said before. Same with every commodity industry. Just sell it yourself on GB, a local auction company or find a gun store that will sell it for you.

I feel fortunate that we have a local forum for trades and sales, pretty much everything in the last year has been going for good market prices, individual to individual, avoiding the middleman. Other than purchasing through IOP, I can't remember the last time I bought a gun from a LGS.

I'd personally be all over an HK45 in the $400-$500 range. I guarantee you someone local to you would be too.

Selling things or trading them in at retail stores is always a losing proposition. From trading your car in at a dealer to trading your old bass rig in at Guitar Center, the deck will not be stacked in your favor. Sell it outright to a local guy and buy the gun you want.

I was more curious. If they made a real offer I might have sold it or traded it on something with a better trigger.
Why not find someone who specializes in HK with verifiable knowledge and references. Get that big b!tch tuned up.
Or better yet, reach out to HK-USA, see if they can do something or recommend someone close to get the job done.
I won't trade off a car because it runs rough, i get in there and make it do what i want. Guns are no different. There's a craftsman out there waiting to make that rascal run like it oughta

Why not find someone who specializes in HK with verifiable knowledge and references. Get that big b!tch tuned up.
Or better yet, reach out to HK-USA, see if they can do something or recommend someone close to get the job done.
I won't trade off a car because it runs rough, i get in there and make it do what i want. Guns are no different. There's a craftsman out there waiting to make that rascal run like it oughta
I would send it to Grayguns. I would send any HK hammer pistol to Grayguns.

i can understand your disappointment, and i can say this, about that..

the range i go to (open to the public, but offers memberships too), if i sell a gun thru them, they knock down the price to offer me, as they look up current NEW prices..

then if i go ahead with the sale (and i have), i have to wait until the new buyer goes thru the background check, and that can take "up to" 3 weeks...and it has.....but my check is waiting for me, when i go to use the range..

now, not only do they knock down the price i'd like to get...they also get a 20% commission....

at my LGS, which i recently sold 2 guns to...

they offer at least 60% of the value, cuz they cannot sell the guns as new, only as used.

like pawn shops, these places need to recover thier outlay of cash, and make "some profit"

i knew this going in, at BOTH places, and i am fine with that.

but my guns, that i sold were all under the $500 price tag when NEW.

one gun i sold to my buddy, the range took care of the background check, and he only paid them the transfer fee (35.00) , and he paid me cash, on an agreed to price, which again, me knowing it was a used gun, i took $200 off the price of when i bought it NEW.

maybe others here will not agree to what i have gone thru, but it worked for me, done deals, and it's the way many LGS's, pawn shops, and ranges (that sell USED guns) do things.

you will NEVER get full price paid, and to think (maybe you did/maybe you didn't) that more money is deserved, may be a fallacy.

Never sell a gun direct to a LGS. You will always lose out on a deal they offer. Even trading a gun in for another and cash will result in a poor outcome unless you are tight with the establishment. An LGS that sells under a consignment is better and the best is selling via a gun friendly forum or classified adds and meeting at an FFL that you know.
keep the H&K. Find a gunsmith that can do a polish of the trigger mechanism for you. You’d be surprised at the results.

I guess I got lucky on my Hellcat OSP that I traded in.

I paid $569 I think. It was listed at $549 just the week before. This was in September of 2019, when a lot of folks were just starting to ramp up and buy guns in anticipation of civil unrest after the 2020 election results.

So just a few weeks back on the 1st of July I just happened to be in the same LGS to go shoot and they had 1 Hellcat RDP left on the shelf.

They have had a hard time keeping any in stock for more than a few days.

I showed him my OSP model (which I bought there and they also had a log of all my trips to their firing range), and said he would credit me $400 for it.

Told him to give me 15 minutes to run home and get the case and everything and would be right back.

Traded it in (so that $400 was a $169 "loss" compared to purchase price of $569), and they were not gouging their customers because of the current shortage, and actually had the Hellcat RDP listed at MSRP of $899.

So I felt like I got a very fair deal.

The Hex Wasp itself was $299. Take that away from the $899 and that leaves the rest of the RDP valued at $600.

Not sure how much value to assign to the compensator but let's say $50 to be generous (and also the enhanced or upgraded trigger vs the standard Hellcat),

That brings it down to $550.

So in my thinking, I got a new Hellcat RDP model for $150 more than I paid for my original Hellcat OSP, plus I got a Red Dot optic, compensator, and better trigger.

Back