testtest

danged squirrels

Old_Me

Ronin
so i went and did a few errands yesterday (Monday) and when i got home, i was going to water my garden.

wouldn't you know it, a dang squirrel ate away several leaves of my eggplant?

not enough to kill the plant, thank God.

so i had some "chicken wire" and i made 4 "cages" to protect them and the 'mater plants.

(i only have 4 in total).

earlier today, i bought an owl, to put into the garde, but this one, the head does not move.

when i go to the range in a little bit, i am going to stop at the Tractor Supply store across the street, they have the movable head owl.

frankly, i did not even think of that place, as they are far and very few in my state.

next, if i have to.....

this will be me, protecting my veggies....

170803-javelin-missile-ac-646p.jpg

how do some of your protect your veggie gardens, from the rodents?

Sherman tanks? M1A1 Abrams tanks?

LARS rockets..??

a squadron of Special Forces..???

Need hawks and osprey. Our squirrels disappear when the raptors are around

My back yard is like a wildlife refuge. Birds of all types, squirrels everywhere, we've been feeding a family of groundhogs down near the river bank, we have a mating pair of bald eagles, tons of red tailed hawks and bald faced buzzards, heron, deer, turkey, coyotes and the list goes on and on. Even though there are a ton of raptors around there is no shortage of squirrels. Yes, they disappear, along with smaller birds, when the hawks, owls, eagles and other flying apex predators are around, but they don't go far. Little bastards pulled one of my wife's plants out of her pot the other night. Well, she claims it was squirrels. I never heard of squirrels attacking shrubs in the middle of the night.

I personally don't kill squirrels ( or anything I don't absolutely have to) but if it's impossible or impractical to squirrel proof your garden another option is a pellet rifle. Smoke a few squirrels and leave their carcasses laying there for a few days and the squirrel community will get the hint. I know this to be true because it's how I used to deal with it. These days I am a live and let live kinda guy. At least as far as woodland creatures and animals other than human are concerned.

I personally don't kill squirrels ( or anything I don't absolutely have to) but if it's impossible or impractical to squirrel proof your garden another option is a pellet rifle. Smoke a few squirrels and leave their carcasses laying there for a few days and the squirrel community will get the hint. I know this to be true because it's how I used to deal with it. These days I am a live and let live kinda guy. At least as far as woodland creatures and animals other than human are concerned.
We let the wildlife take their share. Except wild hogs. Kill them all!

My mother used to plant marigolds around the garden that usually kept the rabbits and squirrels out. I have never seen a squirrel eat that type of plant material, I would be more inclined to believe it was a rabbit unless you saw it eating the plant. Another option is to spread diatomeaous earth around the perimeter of the garden, they don't like it, and it will also keep out crawling insects.

Need hawks and osprey. Our squirrels disappear when the raptors are around
"The Squirrelator"..........

some of you guys are funny with your choice of "squirrel eradications"..... :ROFLMAO:

in other news, when i got to the Tractor Supply place earlier.,.??

they sold the one owl they had, that had the movable head...

and to think, i was looking at it online, and could have paid online, then just pick it up....

oh well, i did order one, paid for it, and the store will get it in short time.

i'd rather not pay for delivery to my house, if it ships free to the store.

they did have plastic hawks, but i thought, nah........

dang, maybe i'll pick one up, can't have too many predatory fake birds in my 15' x 15' garden..>!!!!

the Mrs is gonna go ape-crap on me too....

"what da hell you growing, food or fake birds"...????

"uhhh.......i dunno how those fake birds got there dear, maybe they got tired flying north"...????

I give them some "squirrel chow". Once they eat that they usually don't come back for seconds. I had one last year that messed up the yard once he had a snack i saw him in the alley laying on his back sunning himself.

I give them some "squirrel chow". Once they eat that they usually don't come back for seconds. I had one last year that messed up the yard once he had a snack i saw him in the alley laying on his back sunning himself.
if it comes down to that, it's what i'll have to do as well.

last year, there was an over abundance of assorted nuts.....on the trees, not the bipedal type, and the squirrels mated like crazy.

this year, promises to be even more nuts...........ok, bipedal and in the tree's.....so even MORE mating will take place, and populate more

the other day, i actually saw, no less than 7 squirrels running along the cable on the telephone poles....

in all my life, i never saw that many, all at once.

2 at the most.........

if it comes down to that, it's what i'll have to do as well.

last year, there was an over abundance of assorted nuts.....on the trees, not the bipedal type, and the squirrels mated like crazy.

this year, promises to be even more nuts...........ok, bipedal and in the tree's.....so even MORE mating will take place, and populate more

the other day, i actually saw, no less than 7 squirrels running along the cable on the telephone poles....

in all my life, i never saw that many, all at once.

2 at the most.........
Hilarious-squirrel-nuts-meme-image.jpg

so i went and did a few errands yesterday (Monday) and when i got home, i was going to water my garden.

wouldn't you know it, a dang squirrel ate away several leaves of my eggplant?

not enough to kill the plant, thank God.

so i had some "chicken wire" and i made 4 "cages" to protect them and the 'mater plants.

(i only have 4 in total).

earlier today, i bought an owl, to put into the garde, but this one, the head does not move.

when i go to the range in a little bit, i am going to stop at the Tractor Supply store across the street, they have the movable head owl.

frankly, i did not even think of that place, as they are far and very few in my state.

next, if i have to.....

this will be me, protecting my veggies....

170803-javelin-missile-ac-646p.jpg

how do some of your protect your veggie gardens, from the rodents?

Sherman tanks? M1A1 Abrams tanks?

LARS rockets..??

a squadron of Special Forces..???
1685475273464.jpeg

They do make a tasty stew. A little tougher than a rabbit so cook it in a slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, onions, and any other vegetables you like in stews. Par boil the squirrel pieces first and remove the meat from the bones before putting it into the slow cooker.

Back