testtest

Darkening a sling?

Jfal

Professional
I got a new sling for a new M1A...love the sling, not a fan of the color. Anyone have luck oiling with linseed oil (same as the stock), tung oil, or dying somehow? I could live with the color, but would prefer something a little darker....it's the leather sling from Springfield that was listed with options for the M1A (new purchase discount...under $40 for a leather sling)...

Attachments

• Sling Color .jpg
    Sling Color .jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 130
I got a new sling for a new M1A...love the sling, not a fan of the color. Anyone have luck oiling with linseed oil (same as the stock), tung oil, or dying somehow? I could live with the color, but would prefer something a little darker....it's the leather sling from Springfield that was listed with options for the M1A (new purchase discount...under $40 for a leather sling)...
Find a local boot or glove maker and ask them best way to do it.
Or pay to have them do it .

You might try Ballistol, as in the gun oil.
German army used it for leather treatment too. My bottle warms it may darken light leather somewhat.

By the way, I’d used the straight liquid rather than the spray ( it has butane or something, for the aerosol maybe?)

I got a leather die from a hobby store, worked well. Now I need to soften the leather to make it more pliable.

Leather dye is cheap and easy to use. I have used it for years for sheaths. I have also cheated and used wood dyes, works on also.

Thanks...I've not worked on dying leather. I'm sure after 50 years it would look fine, but I want to expedite the process...

Maybe a leather dye followed by Ballistol? I forgot that Ballistol is a leather oil...

I have 3 different shoe polishes in my closet for dress shoes (Kiwi tins)...not sure how that would work on the rough side of the sling...but it sure would work to darken it down...then my arms would be the stained color of Kiwi shoe polish:cool:...probably wouldn't hurt, me being a ginger...

Thanks...I've not worked on dying leather. I'm sure after 50 years it would look fine, but I want to expedite the process...

Maybe a leather dye followed by Ballistol? I forgot that Ballistol is a leather oil...

I have 3 different shoe polishes in my closet for dress shoes (Kiwi tins)...not sure how that would work on the rough side of the sling...but it sure would work to darken it down...then my arms would be the stained color of Kiwi shoe polish:cool:...probably wouldn't hurt, me being a ginger...
Here’s a tip. Wear gloves and let it dry before you use it.

I just received a sling from SA and I have to say that it's not the quality that I expect from them. The frogs are attached with what appears to be brads, the leather is thin. I shot on our states hi- power team for a few years and the slings that we had were much better, in my opine, than this. I have another ordered from Eric Hollis but he's a couple of months behind in deliveries. I'm going to contact SA to ask if I can return this one.

I just received a sling from SA and I have to say that it's not the quality that I expect from them. The frogs are attached with what appears to be brads, the leather is thin. I shot on our states hi- power team for a few years and the slings that we had were much better, in my opine, than this. I have another ordered from Eric Hollis but he's a couple of months behind in deliveries. I'm going to contact SA to ask if I can return this one.
I picked up a leather sling for my M1A from Springfield and have to agree I was disappointed in its construction although not paying $100 of dollars for it I understand. I’m looking into how I can attach quick disconnects on my M1A so I can use a sling I bought for a AR

I would suggest Neatsfoot oil.
It is often used on baseball gloves and normally darkens them.
It is also used on saddles.

A couple of images from a review-
41TPA1qfVqL._SY256.jpg

51LXtC4zcbL._SY256.jpg

Feibings makes a lot of leather dyes. Easy to use, relatively inexpensive. I am partial to the British Tan color, not overly dark but really rich in color. If you intend to use a leather preservative- use the dye first. I've used a lot of the Feibings and have never been disappointed.

Mink oil.

I second the suggestion on Neatsfoot oil. I did my Springfield sling with it too. It darkened nicely. Of course I soaked it big time and now hanging it from the ceiling to dry more and blotting it down.

I also did another sling with it years ago and it darkened real nice too.

Last edited:
Back