testtest

Data Breach Straight Ahead

And wait until gunbroker and brownells get hacked as they have demanded copies of Passport/DL which I can pretty much guarantee they are not going out of their way to protect. That's going to be fun...

And wait until gunbroker and brownells get hacked as they have demanded copies of Passport/DL which I can pretty much guarantee they are not going out of their way to protect. That's going to be fun...

Thats making a hell of an assumption that is extremely insulting to thier DP staff and the company. Pray tell just how can you guarantee that? Have you worked for them? Have you ever even worked in IT or data processing?Do you have any clue what exactly it takes professional IT people to do such things?

I have, spent 20 years working hard in It from programming to Systems analysis to management, and NO professional IT person is going to be cavalier about customers information. That, I can pretty much guarantee

Last edited:
Thats making a hell of an assumption that is extremely insulting to thier DP staff and the company. Pray tell just how can you guarantee that? Have yoy worked for them? Have you ever even worked in IT or data processing, do you have any clue what exactly it takes professional IT people to do such things?

I have, spent 20 years working gard and NO professional it person is going to be cavalier about customers information.
Really? Have you lived entirely under a rock for the last 20 years? How many "leaks" do we need to have before WE feel insulted, sorry for your "bruised IT professional ego", nothing is safe so demanding and collecting unnecessary data is a no-no. The DoD doesn't keep for a copy of a Passport to go on a military base and retrieve technical data. ITAR registration doesn't require it, DD-2345 doesn't either, but somehow an internet company selling ammo is entitled to and we should accept it? And yes, I DO have a clue, I see the "IT professionals" in action every day, have done so for over 30 years. That is PRECISELY why I said what I said.

Didn't we just get a breach at this auction site? How is Lastpass doing? How many more name would you like to the list of "impossible to happen because of our IT superheroes"? LinkedIn? Twitter? Google? Apple? You don't remember any of these? Should we add the US Marshalls, because that was just mentioned too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Have you lived entirely under a rock for the last 20 years? How many "leaks" do we need to have before WE feel insulted, sorry for your "bruised IT professional ego", nothing is safe so demanding and collecting unnecessary data is a no-no. And yes, I DO have a clue, I see the "IT professionals" in action every day. That is PRECISELY why I said what I said.

That's bull, yes breaches happen constantly. Hackers spend thousands of hours constantly trying to breach, and they only have to get it once. The IT professionals have to get it right every single time. And that means anticipating every possible attack on every single manner and putting in safe guards, they miss one slight opening it's exploited. Blaming them for not stopping hackers is like blaming a bank for getting robbed, that plain crap.

Yes saving more information is not a great thing however the dedicated IT people will do every damn thing they can to protect it when they are forced to collect it. To say otherwise is insulting.

You are are pushing off blame for breaches into professionals implying they are cavalier about thier job just because they are forced into something.
So no you truly have no freaking clue how they do thier jobs.

That's bull, yes breaches happen constantly. Hackers spend thousands of hours constantly trying to breach, and they only have to get it once. The IT professionals have to get it right every single time. And that means anticipating every possible attack on every single manner and putting in safe guards, they miss one slight opening it's exploited. Blaming them for not stopping hackers is like blaming a bank for getting robbed, that plain crap.

Yes saving more information is not a great thing however the dedicated IT people will do every damn thing they can to protect it when they are forced to collect it. To say otherwise is insulting.

You are are pushing off blame for breaches into professionals implying they are cavalier about thier job just because they are forced into something.
So no you truly have no freaking clue how they do thier jobs.
OK :)

I bought a pile of stuff from Brownells in the last week. They demanded nothing of the sort.

I bought a pile of stuff from Brownells in the last week. They demanded nothing of the sort.
I know, I have also bought many things over the years from them, including tons of 5.56 and 9mm mags and ammo. Decent price, fast shipping, never had any problem. Then all of the sudden a couple years ago, they demanded a copy of DL or Passport to buy ammo, which I can't and won't do. There was no bad blood, they understood my point and couldn't do anything about it as their policy was such for ammo. It was more disappointing than anything, really.

No other vendor that I deal with (Palmetto, SG, norma, SIG,...) has required this for ammo or anything else. As for gunbrokers, a copy of DL or Passport is a requirement to create an account. Armslist has no such requirement.

Call me paranoid (or conspiracy theorist ;)), but it just makes me uncomfortable when databases of personal information are being built... The guardians of these databases are not always equipped to guard them well despite what they think, or can be pressured into giving them away by force. It is only a matter of "when/how" not "if".

I know, I have also bought many things over the years from them, including tons of 5.56 and 9mm mags and ammo. Decent price, fast shipping, never had any problem. Then all of the sudden a couple years ago, they demanded a copy of DL or Passport to buy ammo, which I can't and won't do. There was no bad blood, they understood my point and couldn't do anything about it as their policy was such for ammo. It was more disappointing than anything, really.

No other vendor that I deal with (Palmetto, SG, norma, SIG,...) has required this for ammo or anything else. As for gunbrokers, a copy of DL or Passport is a requirement to create an account. Armslist has no such requirement.

Call me paranoid (or conspiracy theorist ;)), but it just makes me uncomfortable when databases of personal information are being built... The guardians of these databases are not always equipped to guard them well despite what they think, or can be pressured into giving them away by force. It is only a matter of "when/how" not "if".

Pray tell who is going to use force to make them give up thier data. I got to stop reading this thread I will be laughing to hard to fall asleep.

Dude you have serious issues, you just make up all sorts of stuff and spout it out as fact.

Last edited:

What state are you in ? I bought ammo from them not long ago and I didn't have to show any ID. It was literally sitting on my front porch when I got home from work. There are people on-line from Jersey and some other states that have had to show ID, but that's because of the state you live in.

Back