testtest

defense ammo

Grumps

Operator
I'm not ask what I should use, but what YOU use and why. The more I look for what I want to try, I find even more different rounds.

I know what ever I decided on, I will need to run it before I choose to carry it, I'm just looking to limit my expenses by trying what others have found they trust.

Forgot to mention I will carry the hellcat, and wife will care p365 sas

Last edited:
This is my current ammo...
1609602770273.jpeg

When I had a 9 mm, I carried only Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots (147 gr). The guns were a M&P and a CZ Rami. Never had any problems with that ammo in those guns.

I still rely on Federal for my .40 and .357 mag but my other guns seem to prefer different ammo. For example, my tiny Walther loves anything with Fiocchi stamped on it and pretty much hates everything else. So I had to find a Fiocchi bullet that would reliably expand and penetrate.

I would love to only have one or two ‘go to’ brands but I found that my guns each like what they like.

I'm a little concerned with my ability to get back on target with +P ammo out of the hellcat. I'm not sure how bad the recoil will be.
Acknowledging my VP9 is bigger than the Hellcat, I can't feel much of a difference between 9mm and 9mm +p. I bet you'd be fine. Give it a go if you can find some.

Depends on the gun and what its defending me from. My woods carry is different than my
EDC.

My HELLCAT & MICRO9 get the same Hornady that the FBI choose. They have testing resources that I don't.

How will you judge what you like when you test?
You might want to reconsider using CritDuty in a short barreled pistol; it’s designed for duty (4”+) length barrels, and has issues getting proper expansion at the reduced velocity from shorter tubes.

This is the standard pressure 135gr fired from a 3.5” barrel (S&W M&PC). They also penetrated 18.1”, which is just over what’s considered overpenetration.
C70C6BAE-5A02-4A22-887D-FE3890911870.jpeg

Last edited:
1609692132974.png
1609692189988.png
1609692348266.png
1609692927197.png

I use Barnes in my Hellcat, EMP and PPS M2. The HST's in my commander and full size 9mm's. I use the HST 230gr in my .45acp's (including my Shield) with Barnes in my 10mm. When in the Wild generally will be a FMJ. I used to use ranger T's in my .45's but like a damn idiot I shot my boxes (2 for rotation purposes) and have not been able to purchase more but I could get the HST's leaving me with no reserve T's.

Last edited:
You might want to reconsider using CritDuty in a short barreled pistol; it’s designed for duty (4”+) length barrels, and has issues getting proper expansion at the reduced velocity from shorter tubes.

This is the standard pressure 135gr fired from a 3.5” barrel (S&W M&PC). They also penetrated 18.1”, which is just over what’s considered overpenetration.
View attachment 13553

Maaybe I misunderstood the tes, but it seems to indicate a S&WM&Pc with a 3.5" barrel as 1 of the test guns. Thats close enough to the HELLCAT for me.

I appreciate the heads up and look forward to any different info that you may have.

Maaybe I misunderstood the tes, but it seems to indicate a S&WM&Pc with a 3.5" barrel as 1 of the test guns. Thats close enough to the HELLCAT for me.

I appreciate the heads up and look forward to any different info that you may have.
A M&PC was the gun used to test the 9mm loads in the Lucky Gunner tests (and fired the rounds pictured earlier). The Hellcat, having an even shorter barrel, will likely have less expansion and more penetration.

The FBI test using their issue duty weapons—currently Glock 17’s with 4.5” barrels.

Browning 124 grain FMJ interlaced every other round with Critical Defense Hollow Points. I want the best of both worlds. I alternate fmj and hollow points in every carry mag. They are getting 4+ rounds shot at them +
Carry size/medium pistol.

Back