testtest

Did I Overstep on this One?

wmg1299

Professional
I normally only post gun-related content, but something that happened today has been on my mind. My oldest son recently got his learner’s permit, but his girlfriend is a year older and already has her license. When they went to do their walkthrough at the high school today, they realized that the car had a flat tire. My son’s girlfriend called her parents, but they didn’t answer or return her call for about half an hour.

My son called me because he could not find a jack in his girlfriend’s car (it turns out the previous owner must have kept it). I was off work today, so I headed out to meet them at the school. I figured that this was a great opportunity to teach my son how to change a tire. I explained and walked them through the process of changing the tire (I think they did pretty well). We discovered that the spare in her vehicle was a temporary “donut” tire, and that her flat tire had a two screws stuck in it.

I told his girlfriend that she shouldn’t be driving very far on the donut, and had her follow me to a tire shop that I like in the neighborhood. By this time her dad had called her back, and seemed to approve of the plan. The shop was able to plug both holes, and she insisted on paying the $20 they charged for the work.

Her father travels a lot for his construction job, and only gets to spend a few months at home during the year. He seems like a decent guy, but I’m not sure what he thinks of me. He only knows me as an attorney who makes comfortable living and lives in the country club area of town. I don’t think he’s aware of the two decades I spent working as a street cop to put myself through law school. I’m not overly concerned about his personal opinion of me, but I always go out of my way to try not to offend people without cause.

Due to the fact that I know nothing about the relationship between dads and daughters, I decided to defer to any of you guys who have experience in this area. Did I overstep by handling the situation instead of waiting for her dad to take care of things? Would most dads be happy that the situation got handled safely, or would they feel that I had robbed them of a chance to be the hero for their little girl?

Well, I have 5 sons and 1 lonely daughter:( (but she holds her own) and she hasn't started to date yet. The sons who have dated are able to help with most care related things and mostly don't need my help (but do call for advice/assistance if needed). Nothing wrong on how you took care of the issue. I'm not out for a popularity contest and don't care 1 iota what other people think about me, period! As long as the 2 of them get along, then that's what matters. The girl's parents need to like your son though. You're just helping out on a situation with easy a resolution.

2 sons and 1 daughter. I would have helped either son and girlfriend had I been called and been very thankful for the daughters boyfriend receiving help from his dad. I would have thanked the dad, reimbursed if necessary and gone on with my day. As a parent I would have been responding to help my son and his girlfriend. I think you acted as all parents should.

You did the right thing end of story.
Doesn’t matter if your a lawyer, doctor, mason, cop, carpenter, teacher. Good people do good things for others and if someone has a problem with that then that’s on them.

Ps- Tell your son to make sure she gets a jack for that car.

You did what any good, caring parent and human being would do. What you did shows the kind of person you really are regardless of social/career status. With his job situation, he probably has one less thing to worry about. Just my thoughts. My father would have done the same thing.

I normally only post gun-related content, but something that happened today has been on my mind. My oldest son recently got his learner’s permit, but his girlfriend is a year older and already has her license. When they went to do their walkthrough at the high school today, they realized that the car had a flat tire. My son’s girlfriend called her parents, but they didn’t answer or return her call for about half an hour.

My son called me because he could not find a jack in his girlfriend’s car (it turns out the previous owner must have kept it). I was off work today, so I headed out to meet them at the school. I figured that this was a great opportunity to teach my son how to change a tire. I explained and walked them through the process of changing the tire (I think they did pretty well). We discovered that the spare in her vehicle was a temporary “donut” tire, and that her flat tire had a two screws stuck in it.

I told his girlfriend that she shouldn’t be driving very far on the donut, and had her follow me to a tire shop that I like in the neighborhood. By this time her dad had called her back, and seemed to approve of the plan. The shop was able to plug both holes, and she insisted on paying the $20 they charged for the work.

Her father travels a lot for his construction job, and only gets to spend a few months at home during the year. He seems like a decent guy, but I’m not sure what he thinks of me. He only knows me as an attorney who makes comfortable living and lives in the country club area of town. I don’t think he’s aware of the two decades I spent working as a street cop to put myself through law school. I’m not overly concerned about his personal opinion of me, but I always go out of my way to try not to offend people without cause.

Due to the fact that I know nothing about the relationship between dads and daughters, I decided to defer to any of you guys who have experience in this area. Did I overstep by handling the situation instead of waiting for her dad to take care of things? Would most dads be happy that the situation got handled safely, or would they feel that I had robbed them of a chance to be the hero for their little girl?
no, you did good, i know, i have 3 daughters....and 2 sons.

in fact, i got them all that "star" lug wrench for better, faster lug nut removal.

i also (when they were all single and living at home) i added them all onto my AAA membership.

even when they all got married, i bought the memberships for all of them, for 2 years, until they were able to do it on thier own

as a father with 3 girls, you had better believe i'd have appreciated your time, efforts, and generosity,

Well, reading down through the posts, it appears you've gotten a 100% positive response and vote. Well done.

If I were the father of the boy and in the same circumstance, I would've done exactly what you did...... If I were the father of the girl, I would've done exactly what you did if I had been available, and since I wasn't I would have been very grateful to you and to her boyfriend for having a dad like you. One who cares.

BRAVO ....... "you done good dad, you done good"!!!

You did the right thing end of story.
Doesn’t matter if your a lawyer, doctor, mason, cop, carpenter, teacher. Good people do good things for others and if someone has a problem with that then that’s on them.

Ps- Tell your son to make sure she gets a jack for that car.
I feel confident that her dad is taking care of the jack situation. From what I overheard on the phone, I think he was kicking himself for not checking for it when he bought the car. I would not be surprised if dad has already purchased one. I appreciate all of the of the positive responses.

Back