testtest

Do we have any "smart" homes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcd

Professional
Founding Member
Over the past year or so I have slowly added things to a smart hub (Smartthings) in my home. I now have over 50 devices I can control via phone or voice command (it can get a bit addicting) It's set up so lights and doors unlock when I am in proximity, cameras turn on inside when I leave the house (outside cameras are on 24/7), I get notifications of leaks, motion, power outages, etc. It could go on and on. My wife says I am nuts (of course she is right) but now I see her using some features as well. Has anyone else really taken a dive into this? What is your setup like and what are you using?

As of this moment no with no plans to change. The thing that is somewhat keeping me at bay now is I feel the pull of everything that I read in my Utopian lit class decades ago coming to reality. People are more withdrawn and isolated yet have less privacy. If my physical condition should reach a point that adding "smart technology" would improve my quality of life then sign me up Alexa.

My brother wants his whole place controlled by a computer.

I'm waiting for his Roomba to attack him, or go on strike for higher voltage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Skynet likes smart homes.

We did a big remodel a couple of years ago, and I took that opportunity to put in a bunch of smart switches and outlets. I chose the Wink hub - not sure it was the best choice, but it's working ok. LOVE the ability to program and control the lights, inside and out with an app on my phone. No more worrying about setting manual timers on lights around the house when we go on vacation, or remembering to turn on the outside lights in the evening. I can change them as I see fit remotely. Also put in wifi thermostats when we replaced our A/C systems, which I also control from my phone. Again, awesome. Our Ring doorbell; greatness. That said, I'll NEVER have a web-based door lock system or internal cameras. If I can access it, so can a hacker. We do have a couple of Amazon devices, but we only use them as bluetooth speakers, since they are always muted when they are plugged in. I'll definitely be putting in more smart switches and outlets, but that's about it, as I have NO interest in letting the outside world see or hear inside the house.

We did a big remodel a couple of years ago, and I took that opportunity to put in a bunch of smart switches and outlets. I chose the Wink hub - not sure it was the best choice, but it's working ok. LOVE the ability to program and control the lights, inside and out with an app on my phone. No more worrying about setting manual timers on lights around the house when we go on vacation, or remembering to turn on the outside lights in the evening. I can change them as I see fit remotely. Also put in wifi thermostats when we replaced our A/C systems, which I also control from my phone. Again, awesome. Our Ring doorbell; greatness. That said, I'll NEVER have a web-based door lock system or internal cameras. If I can access it, so can a hacker. We do have a couple of Amazon devices, but we only use them as bluetooth speakers, since they are always muted when they are plugged in. I'll definitely be putting in more smart switches and outlets, but that's about it, as I have NO interest in letting the outside world see or hear inside the house.
Agree and understand about the cameras. With everything we do, there is always a risk. My indoor cameras don't even have power going to them when people are home. There is a sequence of events that needs to take place in order for that to happen and I am able to control and be notified of those events.

Analog here too, and staying that way. Reminds me of a meme I saw - "Software engineer: the most high-tech device in my house is my printer and I keep a loaded gun next to it in case it makes a noise I don't like".

No farcebook for me.
No Amazon.
No Alexa.
I have the microphone on my Android phone turned off because I would talk about something with friends while my phone was in the room, and then for three days I'd get ads about whatever it was.

I do things the old-fashioned way - I go GET stuff I need.

The most automated I've gotten is some motion-sense light switches, and a couple exhaust fan switches replaced with timer switches (mainly so the fan will run for a few minutes after a shower, and get all the humidity out of the house).

It's not that I have anything to hide...I just don't like nosy. People, corporations, whatever - I don't stick my nose in yours, so don't stick your nose in mine.

Only camera I trust to be inactive is the one with a lens cover on it. My laptop camera has a piece to electrical tape over it. Smart phone apps can have complete control of the camera and microphone. Of course any time it is powered up it is giving away, with in a foot or two, exactly where I am. My vehicle is doing that and more. Electric/Gas meter reports my usage and when. Compares my usage to the residents of my community and the energy efficient residence. Won't even go in to the internet. I intend to keep my home as dumbed up as possible. Never know what those smart homes are plotting.

Only camera I trust to be inactive is the one with a lens cover on it. My laptop camera has a piece to electrical tape over it. Smart phone apps can have complete control of the camera and microphone. Of course any time it is powered up it is giving away, with in a foot or two, exactly where I am. My vehicle is doing that and more. Electric/Gas meter reports my usage and when. Compares my usage to the residents of my community and the energy efficient residence. Won't even go in to the internet. I intend to keep my home as dumbed up as possible. Never know what those smart homes are plotting.
Don't forget about the cable company knowing everything you watch. "Smart" tv's? They are listening and watching as well. Everyone's digital footprint is getting bigger.

Don't forget about the cable company knowing everything you watch. "Smart" tv's? They are listening and watching as well. Everyone's digital footprint is getting bigger.
Didn't really forget it...... more pushed it back out of mind as that's where the internet is connected. I have the new fiber optic cable which means it is sucking everything that is going on out of our home. Goodness, now I won't be able to go to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back