testtest

Do You Even Plink Bro......

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
What's your favorite ammo to plink with?

I prefer the federal 36gr copper hollow point because I rarely every get a bad primer and they never leave excess lead in my barrels

The Winchester ammo seems to give me a bad primer strike roughly every 50 rounds.

Remington thunderbolt has been the worst in my experience when it comes to lead fouling. I spent roughly 45min picking lead from my SW22 victory one day and I will never use that ammo again because of this.

20200322_151523.jpg

What's your favorite ammo to plink with?

I prefer the federal 36gr copper hollow point because I rarely every get a bad primer and they never leave excess lead in my barrels

The Winchester ammo seems to give me a bad primer strike roughly every 50 rounds.

Remington thunderbolt has been the worst in my experience when it comes to lead fouling. I spent roughly 45min picking lead from my SW22 victory one day and I will never use that ammo again because of this.

View attachment 3547
Aguila. Because it's super cheap.

I am a big fan of Aguila Super Extra copper plated. It burns fairly clean, not much fouling...has a funky smell to the powder, but I can live with that. All of my rimfires like it, and I’ve found that the dud rate is very low (probably due to Eley priming).

I bought 10k of it from a local farm/fleet store when it was their weekly special of $18/brick.

My least favorite? Thunderbolt or Wildcat...

I am a big fan of Aguila Super Extra copper plated. It burns fairly clean, not much fouling...has a funky smell to the powder, but I can live with that. All of my rimfires like it, and I’ve found that the dud rate is very low (probably due to Eley priming).

I bought 10k of it from a local farm/fleet store when it was their weekly special of $18/brick.

My least favorite? Thunderbolt or Wildcat...
Have you used the Winchester m-22 before? I have 3000 rounds and haven't tried it yet. If so what's you take?

I tried the Remingtong Thunderbolt once becuase last time .22 was scarce, I happended into a small gun store that had it in bulk. I didn't like it because of the lead fouling. I have historically used Remington Clean Bore and have had good success with it. It has been a while, though, since I shot much with a .22.

I usually buy 500 round box of ammo at a given time at the local Wally world but the current ammo panic situation has me stocking up until prices go down and it becomes available again.

What line of Aquila do you prefer? I'm always interested in trying new ammo.

As mentioned, I like Super Extra...it’s basically a Mini Mag at half the cost.

Their Super Max is similar to a Stinger, iirc.

I also like their Interceptor line for carry in my S&W 43C.

I started using CCI mini mags 36 gr HP back around 1968 and love them. I have used Federal , Remington , and Winchester and always had duds quite often. Go back to CCi mini mags and just shoot and shoot and shoot. I have no idea how many 1000's of of .22LR I have fired through the years but I don't think I would have to use more than both hands to count the misfires I had with the CCIs.

I will never use any brand of .22 other then the CCI ammo.

I started using CCI mini mags 36 gr HP back around 1968 and love them. I have used Federal , Remington , and Winchester and always had duds quite often. Go back to CCi mini mags and just shoot and shoot and shoot. I have no idea how many 1000's of of .22LR I have fired through the years but I don't think I would have to use more than both hands to count the misfires I had with the CCIs.

I will never use any brand of .22 other then the CCI ammo.
CCI definitely makes a good product!
I like the stingers for a hot .22lr. you can see a major difference in regular .22lr vs stingers when you shoot a soft target like a melon. I haven't shot many mini mags but I do have a few boxes on hand.

So it has specs close to mini mag at half the price. That's a good deal I'll look into those. Where do you buy usually?

I like to buy ammo locally; it has to be a spectacular deal to buy online, usually...I don’t mind paying a bit more to keep the small guy going.

There’s also a guy at the gun shows I go to that carries Aguila, and is pretty competitive, price-wise.

Otherwise...Sportsman's Guide carries their entire line, iirc.

I’ll add—I have a habit I picked up long ago—whenever I go into a gun store, particularly if it’s one I frequent often—I always buy something...spare mag, etc...to make up for probably fondling a few guns while I was in...also makes them more likely to deal—they know I’m spending money with them.

I can always use ammo, and often if there’s nothing else I need, I’ll buy a 100 or so rounds of .22. I’ve got 4-5 .50 cal cans full of various loose boxes...

Federal and blazer brass for 9mm
Federal for 5.56/.223
Lake City bulk M118LR for .308
CCI for .22
Winchester white box seems to jam my guns as well as the Aquila. More issues than not with those 2 brands across my firearm brands. Stopped using them

I’ll add—I have a habit I picked up long ago—whenever I go into a gun store, particularly if it’s one I frequent often—I always buy something...spare mag, etc...to make up for probably fondling a few guns while I was in...also makes them more likely to deal—they know I’m spending money with them.

I can always use ammo, and often if there’s nothing else I need, I’ll buy a 100 or so rounds of .22. I’ve got 4-5 .50 cal cans full of various loose boxes...
Im the same way

Back