testtest

Does target color matter?

mikep

Professional
I normally shoot splatterburst targets, mostly silhouettes. They are black with a red “center mass” area along with bullseye targets on the head. Most if not all my shots hit just left of my point of aim and it has been driving me nuts.
Last week i picked up a pack of Birchwood Casey splatter targets are standard 10” circular target but it has a gray background instead of black. Well, from the first to last shot all landed in the bullseye from 5 and 7 yards, dead center. I definitely notice a clearer sight picture against a gray background vs black.
So, has anyone else here experience anything like this, where the target color affects how well you shoot?
I am going to do a proper side-by-side experiment this weekend. However, I may invest in gray targets. Hahaha.

I got some non-name splatterburst targets that were dark blue rather than black and I had a hell of a time fo using on them. It felt like my eyes were going! I’ve also used these weird orange and grey splatterburst targets and they work pretty well. The hourglass shape is supposed to help you fo us. I usually use them at 25yds.
AA7E59AF-400E-4996-A04B-39B20EB71418.jpeg

I normally shoot splatterburst targets, mostly silhouettes. They are black with a red “center mass” area along with bullseye targets on the head. Most if not all my shots hit just left of my point of aim and it has been driving me nuts.
Last week i picked up a pack of Birchwood Casey splatter targets are standard 10” circular target but it has a gray background instead of black. Well, from the first to last shot all landed in the bullseye from 5 and 7 yards, dead center. I definitely notice a clearer sight picture against a gray background vs black.
So, has anyone else here experience anything like this, where the target color affects how well you shoot?
I am going to do a proper side-by-side experiment this weekend. However, I may invest in gray targets. Hahaha.
Yes, I have a hell of a time with bullseyes that are yellow. WTF !!!
I do fine with the Blue or Black, but yellow bullseye give me heck…
19CC923A-C302-423D-BA64-F7A3BC710AA5.jpeg
19CC923A-C302-423D-BA64-F7A3BC710AA5.jpeg

Seems to me i read somewhere that a person can be partially ( just a bit) “colorblind” in the sense that it only manifests in certain color combinations or light conditions…

I’ve wondered before if that’s what ails some of my shooting.

Seems to me i read somewhere that a person can be partially ( just a bit) “colorblind” in the sense that it only manifests in certain color combinations or light conditions…

I’ve wondered before if that’s what ails some of my shooting.
There are a few different types of color blindness. Two primarily. My dad is red/green color blind. And there can be a few variations within that type. I have never heard of anyone being "A little" color blind, but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I'm no authority.

I do know that women are carriers so if you are color blind thank your mom. Color blind women are extremely rare. 95% of color blind people are men. 1 in 12 men are color blind and 1 in 200 women are color blind.

There are a few different types of color blindness. Two primarily. My dad is red/green color blind. And there can be a few variations within that type. I have never heard of anyone being "A little" color blind, but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I'm no authority.

I do know that women are carriers so if you are color blind thank your mom. Color blind women are extremely rare. 95% of color blind people are men. 1 in 12 men are color blind and 1 in 200 women are color blind.
I am red green color blind.
I never had an issue with the color of targets, but I had to change my front sights from red to green.
I can pick up the front sight faster with the green one.

I've found using a black target with black iron sights (without dot(s)) is sometimes difficult to see. I've commonly heard it is recommended to paint the front sight post white (fingernail polish) to help. Haven't done that yet...I just buy the gray splatter targets. It's better for me at indoor ranges that have a shooting bay light to shine down on my firearm, but many I frequent do not have good bay lighting. Sucks getting old.

I've found using a black target with black iron sights (without dot(s)) is sometimes difficult to see. I've commonly heard it is recommended to paint the front sight post white (fingernail polish) to help. Haven't done that yet...I just buy the gray splatter targets. It's better for me at indoor ranges that have a shooting bay light to shine down on my firearm, but many I frequent do not have good bay lighting. Sucks getting old.
I think for me it’s not so much picking up the front sight, but more proper sight alignment. Black on black washes out the alignment while black on gray provides better contrast. Throw on top of that 51 year old eyes, cross dominance and and astigmatism it’s a wonder i can even hit the target at all! Hahaha.

for me, and my old eyes, i prefer as little coloring as possible,

for instance, i prefer these targets..

1660045232998.png

over these, which at times, confuses me, because of this one, "looking too busy" for me to focus.

1660045311891.png

Interesting on the differences in color of targets, never thought about it however I will check it out.

Getting old has its struggles but I will say it beats the alternative.

Dad is partially green colour blind,so I can see why different target colour/sight colour combination can work for some and not others, it's like most things have to keep trying different things till it works,it's hard enough finding the right gun and ammo to be confident shooting without throwing colours into the mix

I use 1/2 standard size torso targets that allow for me to practice at half the distance. One down side is that the targets are an orange hue which washes out the contrast of a red laser. My green lasered Shield works just OK on the targets. If you are shooting a laser, go with a white target in daylight. The matter has been rendered academic with my red dotted Hellcat. The Holsun sun powered green dot/circle on the MDRX rifle is outstanding on any color target.

So, if you are lets say green color blind, do you hope & pray that dudes in green shirts stay away? 🤔
…that actually raises a good point, there.
Finding a brand of target “you can always see good” isn’t particularly good or realistic training for SD, imho. Especially if you do happen to have an eyesight issue.

Kinda like your favorite lane at the outdoor range. Or just your fav range, period. Like it cause it’s nice & isolated, or spread out, where nobody bothers you, huh? Well, if you’re ever in a SD situation I think I can guarantee you there’ll be somebody else nearby!
I’ve told myself a few times: Gotta mix things up a bit to stay sharp 😉

Back