testtest

Don't laugh — katana question

KingDiamond

Operator
Founding Member
Alright, I'm probably just asking for abuse here, but I want to buy a Katana (I've always loved the graceful curvature of the blades), but am not sure what to get. Anyone know anything about these? I know enough to know that a "real" Japanese one would be many thousands of dollars, so I'm looking at Chinese ones. I don't want to spend more than $300, but I do want a differentially heat treated blade if possible (I can't afford a true "folded steel" one that's not junk).

I'm looking at the Ronin Clay Tempered #3 (https://roninkatana.com/samurai-sword-clay-tempered-high-carbon-steel-katana-model-3/). It seems to have a properly heat treated blade and even real rayskin on the handle. But the price seems WAY too low for what you get.

Anyone know about these?

I have several swords that are reproductions of famous swords throughout history (sword of Charlemagne, Christopher Columbus sword, Excalibur, etc). I also have several Japaneses and Chinese reproductions as well. I bought them mostly as art and they were somewhat costly and aren't meant to be functional (blades are blount, not really that sharp, although I have some cheap Japaneses swords that have very sharp blades). My Japaneses collection includes several Katana's, Wakizashi (smaller Katana that's often seen with Katana worn in robe, and Tantos (small swords often used in Seppuku (ritual suicide)). Most of my swords were quite expensive ranging from $400 - to several thousand dollars. I got them from several online outlets but I found that almost all of them were made by the Royal Armory of Spain. I'd love to get an original set of Japaneses swords from Japan. I seem to understand that it's illegal to own these swords in Japan, but they maybe able to produce them for export. Some of the Japaneses master sword craftsmen (techniques handed down throughout family generations), would fold the steel over 400 times. If you found one of these, expect to spend mucho dollars for it.
I was into swords before I got interested in gun collecting (I seem to have expensive collecting habits that also include collecting Beer Steins from all over the world o_O). I bought books on swords explaining the different kinds from all over the world and how they are made.
I know this is long winded, so I'd suggest getting some books, or research on the internet (which wasn't as accessible when I was collecting) on the Katana. Also, what do you want them for? I you want reproductions for art like I was collecting, expect to pay more money. If you just want a cheap katana that has a sharp blade in a fairly cheap scabbard (saya), I've seen them as low at $50 (funny story, a friend of mine completed a Karate course and was handed a Katana upon completion. He showed it to me claiming it must be worth hundreds of dollars, only to be disappointed when I told him I have the exact one I bought for $50). Sorry for the long post.

I have several swords that are reproductions of famous swords throughout history (sword of Charlemagne, Christopher Columbus sword, Excalibur, etc). I also have several Japaneses and Chinese reproductions as well. I bought them mostly as art and they were somewhat costly and aren't meant to be functional (blades are blount, not really that sharp, although I have some cheap Japaneses swords that have very sharp blades). My Japaneses collection includes several Katana's, Wakizashi (smaller Katana that's often seen with Katana worn in robe, and Tantos (small swords often used in Seppuku (ritual suicide)). Most of my swords were quite expensive ranging from $400 - to several thousand dollars. I got them from several online outlets but I found that almost all of them were made by the Royal Armory of Spain. I'd love to get an original set of Japaneses swords from Japan. I seem to understand that it's illegal to own these swords in Japan, but they maybe able to produce them for export. Some of the Japaneses master sword craftsmen (techniques handed down throughout family generations), would fold the steel over 400 times. If you found one of these, expect to spend mucho dollars for it.
I was into swords before I got interested in gun collecting (I seem to have expensive collecting habits that also include collecting Beer Steins from all over the world o_O). I bought books on swords explaining the different kinds from all over the world and how they are made.
I know this is long winded, so I'd suggest getting some books, or research on the internet (which wasn't as accessible when I was collecting) on the Katana. Also, what do you want them for? I you want reproductions for art like I was collecting, expect to pay more money. If you just want a cheap katana that has a sharp blade in a fairly cheap scabbard (saya), I've seen them as low at $50 (funny story, a friend of mine completed a Karate course and was handed a Katana upon completion. He showed it to me claiming it must be worth hundreds of dollars, only to be disappointed when I told him I have the exact one I bought for $50). Sorry for the long post.
Poor guy from the karate class! And no need to apologize for the length of the response — this is exactly what I wanted. Any suggestions on books I should get?

As far as needs go, I want one for display now, but one that could stand up to some "backyard cutting" if I want to do some training and actually learn to use it a bit. I'm wondering if I should bump up to the $300ish Pro Dojo ones from Ronin, or consider some of the Paul Chen ones? Geez, just what I need. Another collecting compulsion....

Of course! I'm going to sling it over my back and carry it every day :)

Or, I'm just being a being a blade dork and simply want one! I've always had a weakness for these, and have decided I'm going to get one ... eventually.
Blades are pretty cool and can be just as beautiful as any gun. Having trained in Kali for quite a few years taught me a different level of respect for them.

Poor guy from the karate class! And no need to apologize for the length of the response — this is exactly what I wanted. Any suggestions on books I should get?

As far as needs go, I want one for display now, but one that could stand up to some "backyard cutting" if I want to do some training and actually learn to use it a bit. I'm wondering if I should bump up to the $300ish Pro Dojo ones from Ronin, or consider some of the Paul Chen ones? Geez, just what I need. Another collecting compulsion....
I hear ya KingDiamond, collecting can be expensive. I forget the book's title I got, "History of the Sword" or something like that. I removed and stored my books to make room for the Beer Stein collection :sneaky:, so I'm not really sure where it is currently. I did come across a book that might interest you "Samurai Swords a collectors Guide" https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Swords-Comprehensive-Introduction-Preservation/dp/4805314575
I searched for "History of the sword" on the internet and found several (but not the book I have).
I always was interested in taking a course in Kendo which is Japaneses sword fighting. They use wooden Bamboo swords and it seemed quite interesting.
I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your suggestions. Go with your gut and get something that look good, is somewhat functional and that doesn't break the bank and you can't go wrong. Good Luck on whatever you choose and enjoy the start of your collection :)

Thanks for the advice, gang. I'll pick up a copy of that book and do some more digging. If anyone has some hands-on experience with the Ronin swords, please chime in!

Alright, I'm probably just asking for abuse here, but I want to buy a Katana (I've always loved the graceful curvature of the blades), but am not sure what to get. Anyone know anything about these? I know enough to know that a "real" Japanese one would be many thousands of dollars, so I'm looking at Chinese ones. I don't want to spend more than $300, but I do want a differentially heat treated blade if possible (I can't afford a true "folded steel" one that's not junk).

I'm looking at the Ronin Clay Tempered #3 (https://roninkatana.com/samurai-sword-clay-tempered-high-carbon-steel-katana-model-3/). It seems to have a properly heat treated blade and even real rayskin on the handle. But the price seems WAY too low for what you get.

Anyone know about these?

So if i can make a suggestion. If you want a nice looking but functional katana, not just a wall hanger, I would definitely go with Cold Steel Warrior Series Katana. It is a bit over your price range but i believe its worth it, check the videos.

My collection of blades, few are missing. :D

68652404_2547024725317941_7407148182624272384_o.jpg

Check out touch of modern, they often have good deals on one of a kind swords.

Anyone remember this one?

Mission drives gear - I know nothing of swords, but I know that this is a universal truth where it comes to gear/equipment.

Wall-hangers? That's easy. :)

You expressed that you might eventually want to do some training with the sword, KingDiamond. In your shoes, I'd consult with local Kendo associations and practitioners and see what they have to say about this investment. Even for backyard cutting, there's a level of safety that should not be overlooked (the above video was real, and it's something that folks of my generation may have actually witnessed on television that very night).

I have seen that video ... Who would've thought a home shopping channel one would be junk? :)
I have a reproduction of a U.S. Calvary sword that was literally forged on a beach in India. I have read that ships anchor just off shore with the materials shipped onto the beach where workers have the hot stoves going right on the beach. They make them there & ship them right back out to some unknown supplier. It’s why they‘re so cheap (similar to the ones in Pakistan).

A blade of any size or shape as long as it's sharp. I do have some blades, but I have axes, hatches and tomahawks. I would send a pic, but I keep getting to large file error.

A blade of any size or shape as long as it's sharp. I do have some blades, but I have axes, hatches and tomahawks. I would send a pic, but I keep getting to large file error.
TEXASforLIFE, here is the tech specs on images for the forum. Hope this helps.

Currently, the limit for attachments is 2MB. There is also currently a limit of max. 10 attachments per post.

The current attachment file types allowed are:
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe

gif

TEXASforLIFE, here is the tech specs on images for the forum. Hope this helps.

Currently, the limit for attachments is 2MB. There is also currently a limit of max. 10 attachments per post.

The current attachment file types allowed are:
txt
pdf
png
jpg
jpeg
jpe

gif
Good to know Mike...Thanks

Back