testtest

Dumb Dumb!

Bear007

Custom
Well I just did a dumb thing. I was out shooting my .308 bolt action and SA AR-10, trying to stop wobbling. Well I still wobble more than I like and now I need a new range bag.

Someone took the blocks that were there so ... I grabbed my range bag so I could just practice breathing out and squeezing the trigger. I had no problems when I was shooting my old Sears bolt action (win 70) in .308. Not thinking, I decided to switch to my AR-10 to see if I wobbled with it too. The muzzle brake burned up the entire side of the bag, it's pockets and a few things inside the bag.

Dumb dumb dumb!

Attachments

• 20210917_140002.jpg
    20210917_140002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
Well I just did a dumb thing. I was out shooting my .308 bolt action and SA AR-10, trying to stop wobbling. Well I still wobble more than I like and now I need a new range bag.

Someone took the blocks that were there so ... I grabbed my range bag so I could just practice breathing out and squeezing the trigger. I had no problems when I was shooting my old Sears bolt action (win 70) in .308. Not thinking, I decided to switch to my AR-10 to see if I wobbled with it too. The muzzle brake burned up the entire side of the bag, it's pockets and a few things inside the bag.

Dumb dumb dumb!

I have done something without thinking of what could happen also. I was shooting across my pickup bed using a bipod. The muzzle (brake) was aligned 18" away from the tail light and with 1 shot the concussion shattered the lens of a $500 fixture.:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
Well that makes me feel a little better since my bag was FREE! Still, it was a good bag with lots of good size pockets in and out that fit everything good.

Dumb dumb dumb!
Keep it and tell a good war story. "There I was, surrounded by hostiles, shooting fire arrows!"

Dumb dumb dumb!
c'mom man....

all you had to tell the wife was you deserve a new range bag, since you got her that 5 karat diamond ring......

oh wait........that was the mistress.....

sorry, carry on........

I've done a similar thing. I was shooting my M1A off a weighted nylon bag rest and did not realize the small gas port just forward of the handguard was venting right into the rest. After a single magazine it had cut a slash right through the heavy nylon rest and weighted pellets started pouring out all over the place.

I bought a new rest and now I put a piece of heavy leather over it when I'm shooting, gas port or no.

Been there and done that.

speaking of not knowing where the muzzle is while shooting. I have a Masonic Brother that was in Afghanistan, they took fire while he was taking a number two. He got behind the engine of the Humvee and took some shots with his pants down and “not finished“. He shot his own engine and soiled his pants, that was a shifty day. He did not take into account the optic above the bore line.

Been there and done that.

speaking of not knowing where the muzzle is while shooting. I have a Masonic Brother that was in Afghanistan, they took fire while he was taking a number two. He got behind the engine of the Humvee and took some shots with his pants down and “not finished“. He shot his own engine and soiled his pants, that was a shifty day. He did not take into account the optic above the bore line.
The very best thing about that day is your buddy lived to come home and tell the story!

THANK HIM FOR ME FOR HIS SERVICE!

They had a story on TV months ago about a swat sniper who missed the shot when they went to breach for the same reason. He was looking thru the scope and didn't realize he had a block wall below his sight line.

There’s nothing worse than when you do something stupid and you have no one else to blame. Luckily it has not happened to me, except for the time I was prepping my car for a track day, installed new pads and despite one wheel not spinning freely I deduced that I just needed to wear the pad down a bit. Went out for a drive with a spotter and was expecting a thumbs up and instead heard “Dude, you’re on fire!” And then there was the time…

As others have written, don't be too embarrassed - we've all done something similar! :)

Be sure to mind muzzle blast. This also includes anything else that may be damaged.......

^ Not my video, not me, but serves to highlight the point.
Fired a deer rifle from the hood occasionally as a bench rest for target shooting, but never an AR.

Guess I’ll stop using my truck altogether.

Never thought of concussion dents.

Been there. Touched off my custom 4.5 inch Ruger Redhawk using the jeep hood as a rest. Nice big scorch mark.

Then there was the day Don tested out a new 44 mag load we had just worked up. It was raining so he shot through the window, with the muzzle inside. Three days later when we could hear again I told him what a dumb bass he was. Probably one more reason I wear hearing aids today.

UPDATE:
I bought a new range bag to replace the burned up bag. No more carrying multiple rifle cases and a range bag. This bag will carry 2 rifles, 2 handguns and lots of pockets for large amounts of ammo and other gear. And it has backpack straps! If it gets any bigger I'll get a golf cart next time! 🤣
20210923_210546.jpg

And so I don't do it again, I bought me a simple little shooter's block, it works great! The block is light as a feather which is great since I have to carry it with the rest of my gear.
20210923_210431.jpg

Back