testtest

Ear protection recommendations

Looking to purchase some good ear protection for indoor and outdoor use. I’m wanting something lightweight and not too bulky. I’ve read a lot of good things about the Peltor Sport Tactical 500 and it’s an option for me but the one con I read about is that they are on the heavier side.

Wondering if anyone has expertise with those or something similar that could be lighter?

Thanks

Go to your local gun stores or sports and outdoors big box stores and compare. You can judge size and weight by sizing them up visually and holding the ones you like at the same time. As Old_Me stated above, there are lots of brands out there. Talk to others at the range and store employees as well. There are also many threads online about them. Good luck on your search! Search the thread "electronic ear protection" on this forum for example.

Last edited:
There are many good brands out there with the electronic active protection ones being the best. I have a Howard Leight and a Walker both active. I prefer the Walker because the ear cups have more depth and fit better on my Obama sized ears. However, if you shoot alone, do not need to communicate with others at your range and are on a budget, consider the passive DECIBEL DEFENSE ear muffs with 37 dB of quieting. At $26 on Amazon, they are a bargain. I use them on the Kubota. When I have them on, I can almost hear my heart beat.

You want muffs with the highest Noise Reduction Rating (NRR), but nothing is 100%. Also I went to a local audiologist and had custom earplugs made to wear under my muffs. Another more affordable option would be to buy a package of Hearos Xtreme foam earplugs (33 dB NRR) from Amazon. I also recommend wearing hearing protection when you cut grass, run a chainsaw, or blowers, and grass trimmers. And when you have angered your wife and she is having a meltdown!

Last edited:
The electronic muffs are all pretty much the same. The numbers they show you look different but they are neglible. I like the Walker Razor Slims enough to own two pairs.
1656525463579.jpeg

These are the actual muffs @SimonRL has………😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Oh, if you have hearing aids, dont forget to take them out!
My sister found a pair of Walkers lying on the bvd while walking her dog......gangbangers now use them too, this one must have panicked thinking the cops were onto him so he ditched them, probably his gun too.....I thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, they work!

Back