testtest

Echelon first impressions

OkiePewPew

Staff member
I know a lot of people have already chimed in on the Echelon but I wanted to give my initial impressions.

First, weight:
Xdm Compact 9mm 28oz (my edc)
XDM Elite 4.5” 9mm 31oz (for apples to apples comparison)
Echelon 4.5” 9mm 24oz

That is ½ pound lighter than the XDME and ¼ pound lighter than the XDM Compact. Big props there alone.

Grip: The patented grip texture we all love from the Hellcat is now on a full size gun and it’s awesome. The texturing is flat enough to not be uncomfortable but grippy enough to really set your hand when firing. There’s also grip pads in the right places for a proper thumbs-forward grip and for your trigger finger to rest. The trigger finger pad is a little awkwardly placed but serves its purpose as both a trigger finger and thumb rest depending on your handedness so it makes sense for a full ambi pistol.

Slide: The serrations are deep but not sharp and provide excellent grip when charging. The rear of the slide has two ears that also assist charging more than I thought they would. The loaded chamber indicator is on the right side which makes it near useless for a righty unless you use the support hand to feel for it. Of course there’s always the option to turn the gun on it’s side and just look. The reverse cut in the slide, just in front of the ejection port, is excellent for a quick press check.

Other stuff: The mag release is the smoothest I’ve found of any of my Springfields. Empty, full, whatever, it ejects effortlessly. The frame rails are tiny tiny. I’m sure they’ve tested it to all get out but seeing those tiny things makes me cringe lol. The trigger reset is short and trigger pull is only 2x the reset, making for a solid factory trigger. But what in sweet baby Jesus' name is that tiny slide lock/release?! It's a freaking blade and not nice for those of us who train for and like using it as a release, ugh.

Overall I’d say this is the most refined pistol HS/SA has put out. Can’t wait to get it out and finally shoot it.

I know a lot of people have already chimed in on the Echelon but I wanted to give my initial impressions.

First, weight:
Xdm Compact 9mm 28oz (my edc)
XDM Elite 4.5” 9mm 31oz (for apples to apples comparison)
Echelon 4.5” 9mm 24oz

That is ½ pound lighter than the XDME and ¼ pound lighter than the XDM Compact. Big props there alone.

Grip: The patented grip texture we all love from the Hellcat is now on a full size gun and it’s awesome. The texturing is flat enough to not be uncomfortable but grippy enough to really set your hand when firing. There’s also grip pads in the right places for a proper thumbs-forward grip and for your trigger finger to rest. The trigger finger pad is a little awkwardly placed but serves its purpose as both a trigger finger and thumb rest depending on your handedness so it makes sense for a full ambi pistol.

Slide: The serrations are deep but not sharp and provide excellent grip when charging. The rear of the slide has two ears that also assist charging more than I thought they would. The loaded chamber indicator is on the right side which makes it near useless for a righty unless you use the support hand to feel for it. Of course there’s always the option to turn the gun on it’s side and just look. The reverse cut in the slide, just in front of the ejection port, is excellent for a quick press check.

Other stuff: The mag release is the smoothest I’ve found of any of my Springfields. Empty, full, whatever, it ejects effortlessly. The frame rails are tiny tiny. I’m sure they’ve tested it to all get out but seeing those tiny things makes me cringe lol. The trigger reset is short and trigger pull is only 2x the reset, making for a solid factory trigger. But what in sweet baby Jesus' name is that tiny slide lock/release?! It's a freaking blade and not nice for those of us who train for and like using it as a release, ugh.

Overall I’d say this is the most refined pistol HS/SA has put out. Can’t wait to get it out and finally shoot it.
IMG_2018.gif

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Although I agree with everything @OkiePewPew posted about the Echelon I’ve honestly spent the last few days contemplating whether I’m going to hang on to the one I won.
Yeah I’m sure that’s going to surprise some on the forum however keep in mind I got away from the 9mm platform over a year ago because I just wasn’t shooting the 9mm firearms I had to justify keeping them.
I’d rather spend the money on ammunition on the guns I carry and shoot.

Although I agree with everything @OkiePewPew posted about the Echelon I’ve honestly spent the last few days contemplating whether I’m going to hang on to the one I won.
Yeah I’m sure that’s going to surprise some on the forum however keep in mind I got away from the 9mm platform over a year ago because I just wasn’t shooting the 9mm firearms I had to justify keeping them.
I would keep it and just have a couple of boxes of ammo around for it …
Its a nice gun and for just paying taxes on it( I presume), it would be worth holding on to.
You’re really not out any significant $.

Knowing that you got away from the 9mm platform, I am going to go out on a limb to help a brother out.
I don't need another 9mm, but I"ll give you a couple hundred bucks for your Echelon to cover your taxes plus a Starbucks gift card.

I would keep it and just have a couple of boxes of ammo around for it …
Its a nice gun and for just paying taxes on it( I presume), it would be worth holding on to.
You’re really not out any significant $.
And I agree with you and trust me I am very conflicted.
I didn’t pay any taxes when I picked it up which honestly I was very surprised about and I don’t need the money it’s just to me something else to buy ammo for and probably shoot very little.
I’ll give it some time before I do anything.

I will say this if I decide to sell it it will be to an FFL licensed dealer and if they attempt to give me a low dollar amount I’ll keep it.

if they attempt to give me a low dollar amount I’ll keep it.
You'll be keepin it then, they will not offer you what they can buy from there suppliers for. Not too long ago i took an Armalite AR-180 to sell or trade and he told me nobody wants those kinds of guns and said he would give me 50 bucks for it. i didn't say nothing just got my gun and left.

I once seen an older woman bring in an immaculate early model wooden stocked FN FAL. Her husband had died and it had been in a closet for many years. guy told her it wasn't worth anything and nobody would buy it but he would take it for 50 bucks. i told her that scumbag is lyin but she sold it to him anyway. i left there never too return.

If these were California Compliant, I would be all over this.

I understand they need to be on a certain list however there is 10round mags available on the SA website.
Yes, unfortunately, they are not on “the roster” which means no bueno for FFL transfer not to mention being added to my CCW Permit.

Back