testtest

Environmental Awareness

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
There is a lot of talk about backup guns, bug out bags and being prepared but are we really aware of our current environment and how it can be used against us or to our benefit in an emergency situation.

What are some of things you do in a regular day to stay aware of you're surroundings or set yourself up for a better chance of survival in an urban setting?

When entering a building do you assess the exit situation?

Do you look for something that can be used as an improvised weapon in a pinch?

Stopping at a red light do you always leave at least 5ft between yourself and the car in front so you can make an emergency getaway if needed?

These are just a few minor examples of the things I make myself aware of how about you?

Being 100% prepared for a potential bad situation goes beyond just carrying a firearm and some backup accessories and should include direct awareness of whatever environment you are in at the moment or are planning to go into.

Last edited:
1581387458285.jpeg

There saying assess...hehehe....hehehe....

I will not interact with my phone for more then a few seconds when in public or standing in line getting a coffee if at all.

Below is a prime example of not being aware of your surroundings dating back to 2013 when a man pulled a gun multiple times and even waved it around on a crowded subway car and nobody noticed because they were too absorbed in their phones. The man shot a passenger dead whom he already pointed the gun at once point blank after drawing a second time without the anybody noticing.

There is an original uncensored video online somewhere you could probably still find if you wanted witness how society is so out of touch with their environment and surroundings.

Pretty bad stuff!

Last edited:
Well @10mmLife i was just fixing to get on and do a write up about this very topic. Guess great minds think alike. You beat me to the punch and win this round lol.
@KLGunner I would participate if you started a different thread on this topic. You do an awesome job of engaging the members and I'm sure you will bring something new and unique to this or a similar topic.

Was taught always leave enough space between cars long before I could drive, Never knew why at the time even though it was being explained to me. Always check for exits. Always know who is around and what they are doing. Always have my back towards the wall and facing the door if I am out to eat. Everyone use to think I was paranoid until some nut job started running through a local mall stabbing people. Ended up killing someone in a pizza place were my girls were the week before. Now everyone listens and pays attention.

Was taught always leave enough space between cars long before I could drive, Never knew why at the time even though it was being explained to me. Always check for exits. Always know who is around and what they are doing. Always have my back towards the wall and facing the door if I am out to eat. Everyone use to think I was paranoid until some nut job started running through a local mall stabbing people. Ended up killing someone in a pizza place were my girls were the week before. Now everyone listens and pays attention.
I think there is a big difference between paranoid and prepared that most people don't understand with most people living life with a false sense of security brought on by the thought of not wanting to believe a terrible event can just happen anytime from a random bad actor.

When I go somewhere I'm not worrying that something bad will happen. I do not live life in fear.

Anywhere I go no matter what I do it's done with confidence, and being alert to my environment! Confidence in you're ability and preparedness will only increase you're chances of survival should SHTF.

Last edited:
When learning to drive, I was taught to leave space in front of you in case you were rear-ended, and it (hopefully) wouldn't slam you into the vehicle in front of you, however, I leave space nowadays for that reason, and as an avenue for "exit".

Last edited:
Yesterday, two cars were driving along a major street in our city shooting at each other and anybody else that happened to get in the way. I think the news said one innocent was hit, and several innocent cars. What a mess. I try to watch who is beside me, but on a busy street this gets pretty difficult.

Back