testtest

Favorite welding equipment

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
What's your favorite welder, and why? I learned on a Lincoln arc welder before moving to TIG, also a Lincoln, so I stick with them. I never got into MIG but I have monkeyed around with flux core.

I still have and use semi-regularly a Lincoln 225amp buzz box that was bought in 1964-5. Used it on the job daily back then burning 1/4" -5/16" inch low hydrogen and/or hard facing rods sometimes for 14-16 hrs without giving it a rest. I bought that machine from that company probably in the early 90's and still have/use it today. 'Course that machine, unlike those of today was a copper wound transformer. Took two men to pick it up and load it in a pickup. Today, what looks exactly like it but wound with aluminum, wouldn't last a full day under those working conditions running that high a current for that 14-16 hrs straight. Probably would crap-out before lunch.

That was many years ago when all that went down. Was certified and welding on boilers and pressure vessels mostly. Later years moved to structural fabrications and welding. Obviously moved to more/bigger/better equipment. Along with at old buzz box, I currently own a 210amp Hobart mig I use for common stuff and occasionally on aluminum with a spool gun, and a Lincoln 140amp mig I typically use with flux core. The Hobart is limited since it requires 220volt AC power, but the little Lincoln is only 140amp machine that requires 120volt AC so it's really versatile. I can take it almost anywhere and use it for small projects.

Over the years I've built everything from air boats to race cars, aircraft engine mounts to spiral staircases (ornamental iron), trailers from 4'x8' utility to 45' car/equipment haulers. More tank conversion BBQ trailers than the law allows to ornamental pool and patio furniture. During the 80's and 90's cut out and welded feet on probably >1000 steel silhouettes for various shooting competitions for several local ranges. And the strangest thing is that welding was my primary profession only for a few years.

Began learning when I was 10-12 yrs old by sweeping the floor in an old man's country shop after school. Began a working career in it when I was about 20-21. Worked professionally at it till I was about 30, then went to work for a local public school system. Worked my up to Districtwide Director of Plant Operations and Maintenance before retirement. All that time I kept up my welding skills and could find a little side work anytime I wanted it.

Not long before I officially retired and moved to a retirement community, I sold off my tig machine, a big water cooled Forney machine and all my shop equipment. But back then I had plenty of room in my own shop. Now here at the retirement community my work shop is about the size of a large walk in closet, much too small to do much fabricating anymore. But then so is my ambition. I couldn't do totally without though and bought the small Lincoln, then the Hobart so I could do aluminum, than a few more small tools.

I'm asked pretty regularly around here now to do little projects for the community. I just finished a two part dolly for moving a big organ around from one place to another. One piece carries the organ itself, the other piece carries the foot pedals and bench. Had to make it in two pieces so they could get them through different doors, then push them together and lock them with small lever over latches. They're a perfect fit for the instrument so they never have to be taken off the dollies. They play it right there on the dollies, then move them when they need to. Was glad I could do it and the folks around here think it's just the greatest feat they've ever seen. Understand most around are DR's, Lawyers, and Indian Chiefs. So this kind of fabrication is foreign to most of them. Great folks, just not many blue collar types. Anyway.....................

To answer your question, my favorite equipment right now I guess would be my current Hobart. Really versatile and capable of anything I might want to do with the one limitation of requiring the 220volt AC service. I still have a soft spot in my heart for that old 225amp Lincoln buzz box too. Honestly don't know what I'd do if I had to absolutely choose one over the other.

As an aside, with today's technology in electrical equipment, most any name brand will do most anything the average welder wants/needs to do. But like anything else, you get what you pay for so "Caveat Emptor".

Well dang guys, aren't there any more than 4 welders on this forum to respond? Or did my long winded explanation ruin everybody's day? I didn't mean to put a damper on the thread, just wanted to provide a little clarity to why my favorites were what they were.

My apology to benstt for messing up his thread.:confused::oops::(

When it comes to stick/tig welding I want a Lincoln but I hate the Lincoln Mig welders. For a Mig welder I want a MIller. I also made my living as a welder till I became disabled due to COPD.

I learned to weld in what we called "Agri" (actuall it was Vocational Agriculture) on a Lincoln stick welder. When I tried my hand at making a living farming (it didn't work out), I bought a Lincoln stick welder that I still have, but it is at my Brother-in-law's house. I don't have anywhere here to use it. After a tornado blew the shop away at the farm, I retrieved my Oxy/Acetylene tanks, brought them to the city, had them tested and filled, then bought a Victor torch set. The torches I had at the farm blew away. I have been using the O/A setup to do minor repairs around here and would like to try my hand at scrap metal art if I had any talent. So, right now, my favorite welder is O/A.

I joined the Navy and was headed to DC (Damage Controlman) school after boot camp, but whilst I was having fun at boot camp, the Navy combined the DC and SF (Shipfitter) rates and called it HT (Hull Technician). After my 9 weeks in Philadelphia at DC "A" school, in January no less, outside with firehoses (but the indoor fires kept you warm), I got to attend "phase 2" of training with 12 wks in sunny San Diego, for welding/pipe fitting/sheetmetal school. Hated just about every minute of the welding throughout my career when I had to do it, and focused more on the DC side of it. Finally, yrs later, the Navy decided to split the rate and have HT's and DC again. I submitted my paperwork and happily converted to DC.

Towards the end of my career, prior to retiring, I got orders to Philadelphia. Shore duty at a repair facility........in charge of the welding/pipefitters/sheetmetal and carpentry shops. At least I didn't have to go and actually do the welding this time, as my function was now as a khaki-clad administrator/stuck in production meetings/desk pusher for two years. Had some very talented Chiefs and younger Sailors working for me who made my job extremely easy. On rare occasions, when I had some free time from meetings, I would shift out of my khakis, put on some coveralls, and be out in the shop with an cutting torch messing with scrap metal. It was a welcome change from the dreary, mind-numbing duties of being the boss. Oh, and on a couple of occasions, I ventured over to the DC school, that was still in operation at that time, and watch the new sailors on the fire field going through their training. Sometines, you gotta return to your roots to appreciate the entire journey. :)

Done ranting now. Oh, we had Lincolns and Millers, and also some large gas operated ones on wheels that we would pull behind a truck, take to the piers, and do repair jobs on the exterior of the ships.

Last edited:
Well, I have been using a tig welder since I was a teenager. My dad was having one, and I was using his welder, so whenever I am using another welder, I am feeling very uncomfortable. However, when I actually used a MIG welder, I liked it really much from the very first moments. It is easier to control, and is kind much more versatile. I guess it actually depends on your needs, so you just cannot say that a certain welder is better than another one. Recently, I was looking to get a new helmet, and I have found this review https://afterpaints.com/best-welding-helmets-reviews/ . Well, the recommended helmet in that review, is just awesome, and there are many other reviews of many other products related to welding.

Well, I have been using a tig welder since I was a teenager. My dad was having one, and I was using his welder, so whenever I am using another welder, I am feeling very uncomfortable. However, when I actually used a MIG welder, I liked it really much from the very first moments. It is easier to control, and is kind much more versatile. I guess it actually depends on your needs, so you just cannot say that a certain welder is better than another one. Recently, I was looking to get a new helmet, and I have found this review https://afterpaints.com/best-welding-helmets-reviews/ . Well, the recommended helmet in that review, is just awesome, and there are many other reviews of many other products related to welding.

I wish these helmets had been available when I started my path of burning rods , wire , and gas.

Which helmet did you get?

I wish these helmets had been available when I started my path of burning rods , wire , and gas.

I sometimes think that, but then realize I've been using the same old Jackson, big window, no flip up lens, and no electronics for about forty years. I like it, it fits well, it works fine, I'm used to it and it's like an old friend now. LOL! LOL!

I sometimes think that, but then realize I've been using the same old Jackson, big window, no flip up lens, and no electronics for about forty years. I like it, it fits well, it works fine, I'm used to it and it's like an old friend now. LOL! LOL!
That's what was on my head all those years also. I just figure this degenerative disk disease in my neck might not be so bad had I owned a welding helmet like the above instead of that heavy Jackson. I do know it would have made life a lot easier .

That's what was on my head all those years also. I just figure this degenerative disk disease in my neck might not be so bad had I owned a welding helmet like the above instead of that heavy Jackson. I do know it would have made life a lot easier .
Oof, DDD is rough. I have a bunch of clients with that. Hopefully it's not too advanced and you can still enjoy life.

That is the thing that was my responsibility every one of those years too. I simply figure this degenerative circle sickness in my neck probably won't be so terrible had I claimed a welding cap like the above rather than that substantial Jackson. I do realize it would have made life much simpler.

We’ve had auto darkening Jacksons for like 20 years now. Yeah I love my Miller mig welder and it is versatile and very user friendly. You can’t use them on gas pipelines or anything though. You have to stick weld those. You also can’t weld aluminum with them very easily ( yeah I know, Spoolmatic blah blah blah). That’s why you need to know how to mig weld. Different tools for different jobs indeed.

I as of late purchased a Lincoln Viking 3350; it's twice what you paid for the Kobalt, however it's awesome and the view is brilliant through it. It likewise won't trigger on daylight, so it very well may be utilized external successfully.

That is the thing that was my responsibility every one of those years too. I simply figure this degenerative circle sickness in my neck probably won't be so terrible had I claimed a welding cap welderstown like the above rather than that substantial Jackson. I do realize it would have made life much simpler.
Thanks For Reply

Back