testtest

Fiber Optic Sight - What's your favorite color?

What's your favorite color?

• Red

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Green

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
I bought my first XD-M last month, and really like the fiber optic front sight. It shipped with a red pipe installed, but has red and green spares. I compared the spares side by side, and the green appears to be much brighter. I wonder if there is a real difference between the two or is it simply a matter of personal preference.

Personal choice due to some folks seeing color differently, some may not see one or the other as well.
I will say that after a day of shooting they dull in appearance greatly from firing residue. Powder or gun cleaners in general will also dull them over time. My son and I have the same XDm 3.8 compact 45, his came with the FO pipe mine 3dot. I liked the 3dot better myself. I switched mine out for Truglo TFX pro set. Trueglo set these in a hermetically sealed sapphire tube so no chemical could get at the pipe and eat or dull them.
I love them great day and night sights.

Personal choice due to some folks seeing color differently, some may not see one or the other as well.
I will say that after a day of shooting they dull in appearance greatly from firing residue. Powder or gun cleaners in general will also dull them over time. My son and I have the same XDm 3.8 compact 45, his came with the FO pipe mine 3dot. I liked the 3dot better myself. I switched mine out for Truglo TFX pro set. Trueglo set these in a hermetically sealed sapphire tube so no chemical could get at the pipe and eat or dull them.
I love them great day and night sights.
Thanks. I have failing eyesight, so I need something bright. The 3-dot setup washes out for me.

Last edited:
I am red green colorblind and I had to change my sights to green.
That is why I can't have a red dot sight or a red laser.
I had to remove the red paint on my snub and painted it white.

I bought my first XD-M last month, and really like the fiber optic front sight. It shipped with a red pipe installed, but has red and green spares. I compared the spares side by side, and the green appears to be much brighter. I wonder if there is a real difference between the two or is it simply a matter of personal preference.

I read an article recently about this. I’ll post it if I can find it, but basically what it said was human eyes can see a much broader spectrum of green than they can red.

So here’s the follow up to my own post regarding red and green acuity. For what it’s worth I have recently changed several of my fiber optic front sights to green and just bought a green dot Truglo optic for my TX22. For me green is much easier to pick up - even outdoors. The green dot optic is almost shocking compared to my red dot Deltapoint Pro. This may just be because it’s a novelty right now - time will tell - but at the moment, I am all in on green.

Color blind here also, and I changed the red fiber optics on my SA pistols from red to green. Made a world of difference for me.

So here’s the follow up to my own post regarding red and green acuity. For what it’s worth I have recently changed several of my fiber optic front sights to green and just bought a green dot Truglo optic for my TX22. For me green is much easier to pick up - even outdoors. The green dot optic is almost shocking compared to my red dot Deltapoint Pro. This may just be because it’s a novelty right now - time will tell - but at the moment, I am all in on green.
Great, thanks!

I just assume I prefer red because I shoot my XD Mod.2’s and 911 Alpha well, and they have the red pre-installed. I have multiple guns with green/yellow tritium or hi-viz sights, but none of my guns have come with green fiber optics installed. I’d be tempted to try the green, but am cautious about altering a gun that I shoot well.

I just assume I prefer red because I shoot my XD Mod.2’s and 911 Alpha well, and they have the red pre-installed. I have multiple guns with green/yellow tritium or hi-viz sights, but none of my guns have come with green fiber optics installed. I’d be tempted to try the green, but am cautious about altering a gun that I shoot well.
I see you point, thanks.

I shoot green FO sights. Even in foliage it pops, for me. Dawson Precision is my preferred FO sights. The TFX sights, as Duty sights, for FO and Tritium work well.

Back