testtest

FIGURING OUT THE "TACTICAL ADVANTAGE"

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The "Tactical Advantage" - what the hell does that mean, anyway? Well it all begins with acute awareness.

THE "TACTICAL ADVANTAGE"

Avoid the Fatal Funnel

1648422010157.png

Good, if brief/incomplete, article.

I haven't gotten too far into The Art of War yet, though I have briefly perused it. I plan on taking that on in depth after I am finished with The Book of Five Rings, which I discovered thanks to the article in this month's Armory magazine with Tu Lam. I bought the book about 2 weeks ago and I have read it once and I am now on the second go round. It's the type of book you really have to concentrate on while you are reading it. It was written around 1645 by an undefeated swordsman named Miyamoto Musashi. I am also working my way through a pile of books on ancient Chinese philosophy.

Although I find these articles informative and always gain good do’s and don’ts I do wonder why none I’ve read mention that if someone enters your domain they are at an immediate disadvantage of being in an environment they know nothing about as in furniture placement and possibly animals that may come into play and that’s not counting on the home owners preparedness and willingness to defend his home.

I was told for many years.After returning from combat.That I was paranoid.That I looked at every man as a possible combatant.When first talked to other vets (20 years later) We discussed this and decided I was dealing with situational awareness.I can't describe it.It's just there.Always.Ive never hurt anyone,but I know it has made me aware of possible bad situations many time in the past 50 years.

I was told for many years.After returning from combat.That I was paranoid.That I looked at every man as a possible combatant.When first talked to other vets (20 years later) We discussed this and decided I was dealing with situational awareness.I can't describe it.It's just there.Always.Ive never hurt anyone,but I know it has made me aware of possible bad situations many time in the past 50 years.
I feel ya, brother.

I honestly don't know if you can teach somebody situational awareness any other way than by putting them in a position where they have to pay attention to what's going on around them or they're going to have to suffer actual consequences.

Before I retired I worked nights as a security guard for a long time. I got "interviewed" alot.
It didn't take me to long to learn to recognize it. I learned to recognize when someone was specifically trying to approach ME and I became fairly good at deflecting it. Most of the time by simply making it clear that I was aware of them. It's been my experience that the players recognize the cues and the others don't.

I walked into a convenience store one night about 3 in the morning while I was at work. I was wearing body armor, I was carrying a gun, I was carrying OC spray and I looked like the Terminator.

As I walked through the front door a tweaker jumped off the trash can he was sitting on followed me inside and tried to take my gun.

I was able to stop him because I was paying attention. As he approached me I turned around, quartered on him and asked him if there was something I could help him with.

When he realized he wasn't going to take me by surprise he turned around LAUGHED at me and walked out of the store.

Situational awareness isn't a list of does and don'ts it's a mindset. What it really comes down to is paying attention to your surroundings and the people in them. Especially pay attention to the people who are paying attention to you because they're probably sizing you up and deciding whether or not you're a mark.

In law enforcement for more than 4 decades, then some private bodyguard work, Mrs Greener of 43 years chuckles at how I enter a room with head on a swivel still 10 years after retirement. She swears she can identify cops and vets by how they enter a restaurant. It becomes instinct. Of course, when I meet fellow retired cops for lunch, I try to get there early so I can claim the "Gunfighter seat".

In law enforcement for more than 4 decades, then some private bodyguard work, Mrs Greener of 43 years chuckles at how I enter a room with head on a swivel still 10 years after retirement. She swears she can identify cops and vets by how they enter a restaurant. It becomes instinct. Of course, when I meet fellow retired cops for lunch, I try to get there early so I can claim the "Gunfighter seat".
I have lunch/dinner with a fellow veteran who can not sit with his back to the door.

I have lunch/dinner with a fellow veteran who can not sit with his back to the door.
My dad is neither a vet or LEO and he never sits with his back to a door. He is an old south St. Louis bar fighter though.

I admit I have an establishment mapped out before I ever sit down. I consider more than just not having my back to the door though. Particularly if kitchen doors or other possible entrances are situated opposite the main door. How are the tables and booths laid out? How far from my table to any possible entrance ? Am I at a table or a booth. Does this establishment have Bombay Sapphire or Guinness Extra Stout ? 🤣

In the interest of full disclosure my wife and I almost never eat out.

Having said that, its not so much that I insist on sitting with my back to the wall but I do insist on sitting as far from the main entrance and as close to an emergency exit as I can get.

When I go to the Gym I never work out near the front of the gym I'm always in the rear

One night several years ago I walked out my front to go to work and two guys tried to rob me before I even made it to my car.

I was working as an armed guard and because I was armed I was able to prevent the the robbery.

The main point to this story is every time I walk out that door I remember that night and it gets my head in the game

My dad is neither a vet or LEO and he never sits with his back to a door. He is an old south St. Louis bar fighter though.

I admit I have an establishment mapped out before I ever sit down. I consider more than just not having my back to the door though. Particularly if kitchen doors or other possible entrances are situated opposite the main door. How are the tables and booths laid out? How far from my table to any possible entrance ? Am I at a table or a booth. Does this establishment have Bombay Sapphire or Guinness Extra Stout ? 🤣
Situational Awareness - Check.
Gin - Check.
Guinness - Check.

You’re my kind of guy, Bob!

You had me at Bombay Sapphire, three olives, shaken, not stirred!

One night several years ago I walked out my front to go to work and two guys tried to rob me before I even made it to my car.

I was working as an armed guard and because I was armed I was able to prevent the the robbery.

The main point to this story is every time I walk out that door I remember that night and it gets my head in the game

^ This is what I tell my daughter.

That there are areas/times when you have to switch-on.

I'm a biologist. I don't believe that it's feasible -nor desirable- to be at hypervigilance for indefinite or extended periods of time.

1648595794348.png

But there are times when you *must* turn-on in order to better your chances of failing that initial interview.

Not being selected as the target is more than half the battle.

^ This is what I tell my daughter.

That there are areas/times when you have to switch-on.

I'm a biologist. I don't believe that it's feasible -nor desirable- to be at hypervigilance for indefinite or extended periods of time.

View attachment 25987

But there are times when you *must* turn-on in order to better your chances of failing that initial interview.

Not being selected as the target is more than half the battle.
Some people ( by some people I mean me) have been in such F'ed up situations all day for so long that the switch flipped on and then broke itself.

Back