testtest

Finding work.

With everything going on and so many people who have lost their job due to the pandemic and the closure of the economy “including myself” I’m happy to announce that I have been offered and accepted a position with a local bourbon distillery to be there new off shift facilities manager.
How is everyone else fairing in this new normal? I hope ok.
I’m in Kentucky, how are other states doing?

I think that this virus is a wake-up call to younger folks on making a career choice.
Here in Illinois the building trades are busy, just too bad that some young people don't want to get their hands dirty.
Medical and first responders is also a good choice.
College is not for everyone.

Congrats on what sounds like a great job. I run a service and installation truck for the local natural gas company so while everyone else was working from home ( if they were lucky) I’ve been on unlimited overtime killing old mains and installing new ones for the new MLS soccer stadium being built in downtown STL. I get all the high profile jobs around here it seems. Ballpark Village, The Foundry, SLU.

Construction site for new soccer stadium.

I think that this virus is a wake-up call to younger folks on making a career choice.
Here in Illinois the building trades are busy, just too bad that some young people don't want to get their hands dirty.
Medical and first responders is also a good choice.
College is not for everyone.
You are exactly right.

As an educator it is crazy that we think everyone should go to college. I have students who would thrive in what I would call shop classes, but they struggle sitting in a classroom all day. These kids would make fantastic carpenters, electricians, welders, etc....

You are exactly right.

As an educator it is crazy that we think everyone should go to college. I have students who would thrive in what I would call shop classes, but they struggle sitting in a classroom all day. These kids would make fantastic carpenters, electricians, welders, etc....
I don't know if the trades talk to young folks before graduation, but the electrical union I belong to goes to schools and job fairs to promote the trade.
What some don't know is that if you finish your apprenticeship you could graduate with an Associates Degree in Electric, what better a way to get a degree and get paid while you are learning.

I don't know if the trades talk to young folks before graduation, but the electrical union I belong to goes to schools and job fairs to promote the trade.
What some don't know is that if you finish your apprenticeship you could graduate with an Associates Degree in Electric, what better a way to get a degree and get paid while you are learning.
The company I worked for last year did that for needed welders. The problem was as mentioned the younger generation does not want to work. They expect to be paid without contributing to the job. Millennials are a scourge to the future of this country.
For me! I was collecting decent unemployment but that’s NOT for me.
I WANTED TO WORK!!!

With everything going on and so many people who have lost their job due to the pandemic and the closure of the economy “including myself” I’m happy to announce that I have been offered and accepted a position with a local bourbon distillery to be there new off shift facilities manager.
Congrats 👍, from a former Jim Beam fan. Unfortunately, stomach no longer handles the "spirits" these days.

Last edited:
You are exactly right.

Ditto on the college not for everyone. I attended VoTech (Building Trades) during my junior & senior yrs of high school. That set the stage for a successful 21 yr career in the Navy. College is not for everyone, although at 42 yrs old I had to do some college courses in order to embark on a second career (teaching) for 16 yrs.

Last edited:
Farm and ranch work my whole life and you learn too do most everything! Welding, building, natural gas, propane, electrical, hydraulics, backhoes, forklifts, tractors, dump trucks, tractor trailers, skid steers, masonry, dozers and wheeled loaders. Yes, riding horses, hunting and the rest of country life included. I used too operate 50 sections (about 30,000+ acres), but can only manage 6 sections. I do have a wide variety of a skill set when needed. I didn't live on a typical farm or ranch.

Ditto on the college not for everyone. I attended VoTech (Building Trades) during my junior & senior yrs of high school. That set the stage for a successful 21 yr career in the Navy. College is not for everyone.
That's what I tell a lot of high school grads, "College is not for everyone"! Don't start college if you head is not onto it! It will just create another bill too pay!

Congrats !!
Spirits supplier for 30 years myself

That's what I tell a lot of high school grads, "College is not for everyone"! Don't start college if you head is not onto it! It will just create another bill too pay!
I agree and it’s not all about college not being for everyone it’s just now a day it’s just not a cure all. I’ve spent my whole life working hard and always going up in pay and responsibilities to where I am today in upper management without a college degree.

I agree and it’s not all about college not being for everyone it’s just now a day it’s just not a cure all. I’ve spent my whole life working hard and always going up in pay and responsibilities to where I am today in upper management without a college degree.
Same here. Never finished college, about 18 credit hours short, been working hard ever since trying to prove I'm capable of taking on as much responsibility as I can, same deal, upper management now with no degree. Going to make sure my son finishes his college though, not completing mine is one of my biggest regrets.

I have a college degree. Political Science and a minor in English Comp. My job only requires a high school diploma. I make more money than people I know with Bachelors degrees. My wife has a Bachelors in Economics, is a CPA and has another Associates degree in Computer Programming. I make more money than her.
And the trades are hurting for workers right now.

Congrats on the new job.....just remember....no taste testing....😬

Congrats on your new job @Keystone19250. That's very good to hear.

I'm in The radiology field. I have been furloughed for going on 6 weeks. "They" are going to re-access the situation sometime in June. My guess is they will let me go at that time. This is all becasue of elective procedures being cancelled and numbers aren't there. It will turn around eventually, but I don't think they will "wait" for it to do so.

Congrats on your new job @Keystone19250. That's very good to hear.

I'm in The radiology field. I have been furloughed for going on 6 weeks. "They" are going to re-access the situation sometime in June. My guess is they will let me go at that time. This is all becasue of elective procedures being cancelled and numbers aren't there. It will turn around eventually, but I don't think they will "wait" for it to do so.
Hope they don’t let you go, maybe it will be ok if they start opening up again.

Hope they don’t let you go, maybe it will be ok if they start opening up again.
Hope not, but I am expecting it. I deal with all of the imaging coming from all modalities, X-ray, CT, MRI, Ultrasound, etc, and all of the networking and computer related radiolofy stuff that goes with it. People are actually staying away from hospitals becasue of what is going on (around here anyway) ER visits are next to nothing, all office visits have been cancelled. We just got the green light to open in phases, (in MA) but they are saying 3 weeks between each phase. We shall see.

Back