testtest

First Impressions

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Can this be one good thing to happen in 2020? Springfield thinks so! A project that has been in the works for quite some time, Springfield is getting into the Bolt Action game. Yes another year and not only new products, but a whole new product category. It’s easy to say boo hoo so what. But that’s coming from the people that can not see the big picture. These were the same people that said Springfield was entering a crowded AR market. But in the long run who was right? Springfield has spent the better part of the last decade with steady growth and diversification. Each new market that Springfield has entered, they brought something to the table that the public wanted and they have been rewarded with success after success. So enter the Model 2020 Waypoint a “bespoke” bolt action for the masses. Wait but the starting price is 1699.00 and tops out at 2399.00. So how is that for the masses. Well first this is basically a production custom shop type gun and has a check list of features that would make even the pickiest shooter nod in appreciation. And while it may not seem like it custom guns with things like carbon fiber barrels can end up costing much more. So already these feature rich rifles are a value over some other competitors. But let's not think short sighted…..lets look into the future. Of course Springfield is going to release the show pony stallion first. I mean you want to make your best first impression right? Think a couple years down the line, it just makes sense that the Waypoint series of bolt actions will expand in both directions like the Saint, XD, and 1911 firearms have. Springfield makes and offers firearms in all price points from the value series Defender XD and Range Officer to the Custom shop Professional and and Elite XDM. It is easy to imagine a still feature packed Waypoint, but that does not have a hand painted custom stock and 5 QD sling points, or a top of the line Carbon Fiber barrel. Or even a fully tactical “sniper” version, believe me it will come, but in the mean time holly molley! I could imagine the conversation now. Dennis Reese to his engineers. Let's make a bolt action, but I want you to make this thing with no restrictions. I want you to look at everything we dislike in other bolt actions and make a rifle that would be in the realms of a custom shop for other gun makes. But this will be a production beast. Make a rifle that would make your mamma proud. Well as you read through the 2020 Waypoint pamphlet it reads more like an apple announcement. Fluted bolt runs with EDM cut raceways for perfect fitment. Hand painted carbon fiber Stocks with a total of 32 different rifle options. But then we get into the meat and potatoes of the rifle. The M2020 Waypoint is An American made bolt action hunting rifle. The bolt is fluted and Nitride Coated with two locking lugs that solidly lock into the Cerakoted 2020 Action. There are two cocking cams for smooth operating of the bolt and a robust extractor to make sure this rifle operates in the harshest of conditions during that hot of a lifetime. The 2020 has too-less disassembly, so it is super easy to keep up with maintenance and keep it clean. no proprietary magazines, the AICS pattern mag is almost an industry standard, and Magpul offers really great affordable magazines. And the funny thing is that even during the election pandemic scare, the Magpul AICS Mags have always been in stock with distributors. A user adjustable Triggertech trigger that is adjustable from 2.5-5 pounds. The picitinny rail is a Remington 700 Pattern so if you don’t like the factory rail and want a weaver rail set up, they will be easy to find and replace. A removable bolt knob, I need to kiss that engineer. Being user removable means that oversized, under sized or custom knobs will be easily replaceable without having to machine and thread your bolt. Dennis Reese must have done his best Oprah impression telling his engineers you get a QD mount and you get a QD mount, every one gets QD mounts. The 2020 has 5 QD mounts so what ever style sling you like Springfield has your back. Need to mount a bipod, no problem the stock has reenforced M-lok mounting points. Lets talk barrels, each 2020 Waypoint is guaranteed to shoot .75 MOA with match grade ammo. This means that no expense was spared when it comes to the barrel department. Just look at the carbon fiber wrapped barrels. The barrels are still fluted and then wrapped in a pre tensioned carbon fiber sleeve that helps with cooling and further reduces the weight. The non carbon fiber barrels are fluted stainless steel and offered in the raw or coated. So what does all this mean. These are the real deal when it comes to hunting rifles. If you have to carry your rifle into the hunt, you will appreciate the weight savings. The accuracy means if you do your part you will be successful. And then after the hunt you will be able to take care of your rifle until the next outing. Not only did Springfield create quite a showpiece, but they created quite the work horse.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 9.08.13 AM.png

Last edited:
I think it’s great news, yea, price is a little high, l would imagine down the road they will come out with an economy version like you said with the 1911 and XD line, anyway, it’s sounds good. Thanks for the story Xdman.

Only potential issue for me is...I'm left-eyed and need a lefty bolt.

I'm happy enough with my Savage, no complaints...but that Waypoint is pretty slick looking.

Back