testtest

First Look: Ed Brown M&P Shield Magazines

Ed Brown famous for his 1911 magazines are now making magazines for the S&W Shields, looks to be another great option and a great new product from Ed Brown

I'm not sure why anyone would go out of their way to buy these new Ed Brown mags considering OEM Shield mags work flawlessly and the aftermarket mags are the same price.

The Ed Brown mags aren't bringing more capacity or better reliability. If there was some standout feature of these new mags I would contemplate buying them but for now I'll stick with OEM Shield mags.

I'm not sure why anyone would go out of their way to buy these new Ed Brown mags considering OEM Shield mags work flawlessly and the aftermarket mags are the same price.

The Ed Brown mags aren't bringing more capacity or better reliability. If there was some standout feature of these new mags I would contemplate buying them but for now I'll stick with OEM Shield mags.
Between my two shields I have close to 20 OEM mags for them and haven’t found a fault in any of them. I paid less than $34 a piece for them too. While I like my Ed Brown 1911 mags, I don’t love them. Not nearly as much as my Wilson Combat mags.
That said, I’m glad to see Ed Brown making these mags and pricing them competitively. I know we’ve all dealt with the pain of trying to find mags for old guns when there are no more OEM mags being produced or available at reasonable prices.

Isn’t it usually the reason for aftermarket products is suppose to be, among some added feature, a price savings? There’s nothing in the article that spells out the benefit of the new EB mags.
I always go with spec original equipment.
Nice to find replacements for obsolete pistols in stainless steel but I wonder why EB is putting out M&P replacements when that S&W line up is still active, unless S&W is giving up or cutting on magazine production.
Surly EB doesn’t skimp on quality or have a product sourced overseas, but side-by-side what makes the EB version better, is it lighter, brighter, more durable than OEM?

Isn’t it usually the reason for aftermarket products is suppose to be, among some added feature, a price savings? There’s nothing in the article that spells out the benefit of the new EB mags.
I always go with spec original equipment.
Nice to find replacements for obsolete pistols in stainless steel but I wonder why EB is putting out M&P replacements when that S&W line up is still active, unless S&W is giving up or cutting on magazine production.
Surly EB doesn’t skimp on quality or have a product sourced overseas, but side-by-side what makes the EB version better, is it lighter, brighter, more durable than OEM?
The OEM mags already are stainless steel. Maybe the MSRP of the Ed Brown mags won't reflect street price and sell for a few dollars less than OEM making them marketable.

Too bad these aren’t for the Shield Plus. I have the 4” Performance Center model and have been looking for extra mags. I’ll keep on searching.
Joe Bob Outfitters has Shield plus mags in-stock for $39.00 each.

I order from Joe Bob's fairly often because of their fair pricing, fast shipping and most of the time free delivery.

For some reason the link says 10 round but the link is to the 13 round mags.

Joe Bob Outfitters has Shield plus mags in-stock for $39.00 each.

I order from Joe Bob's fairly often because of their fair pricing, fast shipping and most of the time free delivery.

For some reason the link says 10 round but the link is to the 13 round mags.

Saw some 13 rounders in the $28 range on a few sites. One, I've bought firearms and optics from before, so I know they're legit. But thanks for taking the time to search 10mm, I appreciate it.

Saw some 13 rounders in the $28 range on a few sites. One, I've bought firearms and optics from before, so I know they're legit. But thanks for taking the time to search 10mm, I appreciate it.
I've seen the Shield mags on mag shack .com for $33.00 each but I'm not sure how legit that site is.

I switched to the Shield Plus as my EDC this year, but I don't have any experience with the original or 2.0 models. Have there been problems with the S&W Shield mags? I had always heard that the reason for the thriving aftermarket for 1911 mags was that manufacturers often provided cheap/unreliable mags with purchase. I've never heard of issues with Shield mags, and I've never had any problems with my Shield Plus mags. I wish nothing but the best for EBC, but I'm not sure how much demand there will be for this particular product.

I switched to the Shield Plus as my EDC this year, but I don't have any experience with the original or 2.0 models. Have there been problems with the S&W Shield mags? I had always heard that the reason for the thriving aftermarket for 1911 mags was that manufacturers often provided cheap/unreliable mags with purchase. I've never heard of issues with Shield mags, and I've never had any problems with my Shield Plus mags. I wish nothing but the best for EBC, but I'm not sure how much demand there will be for this particular product.
No problems with any of my S&W Shield mags. I have a 9mm V1, and then the Performance Center V1 in 9mm, 40, and 45, (and then the recently purchase PC Sheild Plus (non optic but has Night Sights)).

I literally have at least 2000 rounds through my Shield 2.0 and at least 5000 through my M&P full-size without ever having an issue.

These Ed Brown mags look like they are made for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
So far my many Shields and their mags have caused me no issues. Super guns at a super price. An extra magazine manufacturer can be a good thing.

I seem to remember a period of time, maybe so far back, where none of us could find anything in stock anywhere...

And all manufacturers have minimum order size requirement for distributors to meet prepaid freight, maybe the Ed Brown distributors (more than one) asked for "add-ons" for their stock orders to meet those minimum requirements? The more stuff you can buy from one place, they easier it is to place orders. The Shield is a top seller, lots of mags needed by a lot of people...maybe this makes good business sense. I'm just guessing here...

Back