testtest

First Time CCW: What Do I Need To Know?

i'd like to add, that the public range i am a member of, they conduct classes in ccw law(s) of the state. also, they conduct classes in SAFE gun handling, shooting.

they also conduct classes the actual ccw qualification(s).

what i think is important, is to get training in all that one can, rather than to "just carry", and hope you can shoot IF you need to.

i have personally seen people that got their ccw, practiced up to the time of qualification, got their ccw, and i don't see them any more, practicing.

then too another VERY important thing to consider, is getting on as a USCCA member, for that carry insurance.

it "may be a good shooting"...but the civil lawsuits after, is where one will need that USCCA insurance.

Hi my name is David. I don't have a pistol yet. I'm looking at a hell cat 9mm. Just would like to ask is that a good choice. I am 65 male. I have use guns though out my life. But never to ccw. Can someone help me. Can't tell if anyone is getting this message. Would like to know.
i have the Hellcat, and to me, it's a very good gun.

now, there are others, about the same size, and magazine capacity.

i would highly suggest you get to a gun range that has ccw classes. maybe even the ccw laws in YOUR state.

best of luck to you

Hi my name is David. I don't have a pistol yet. I'm looking at a hell cat 9mm. Just would like to ask is that a good choice. I am 65 male. I have use guns though out my life. But never to ccw. Can someone help me. Can't tell if anyone is getting this message. Would like to know.
I would visit a range that has this model for rent, so you can try before you buy. That way you don't waste money on something that isn't right for you.

Welcome aboard!

Hi David,
Welcome to the forum!

On CC handgun? I'd talk to at least a few people who do CC and visit a local range to talk with someone in charge there as well about the pro's and cons of CC and handguns. Take your time read and listen whatever you can about subject, there's many considerations besides just which firearm. There's much to learn, but not so much it can't be.

Hellcat or another firearm may suit you just fine. But, like clothing, some fit and some don't. Trying out various firearms for fit in hand and fit for preferred type of carry, prior to purchasing is a smart move.

There's many fine pistols out there for CC including Hellcat. But, that doesn't matter if particular one doesn't work for you personally. Hellcat has quite a few possible options depending on which model you choose to investigate which is why think it may be a good choice. If you go that route, I'd go with one of the OSP versions because it gives you the option of using a red dot or not. A plain Hellcat doesn't really offer that option.

Then, even on some Hellcat OSP versions, there's both Tritium (Night sights) or fiber optic sights that use light to enhance sight recognition. Both types are available and to consider.

The Hellcat RDP, the newest version, looks like a good CC one too, combining some popular features like red dot, compensator with threaded barrel and improved trigger all into one package.

Plus, on top of all that, there's different size mags to choose from that fit all Hellcat models. With mags, sometimes it's the capacity that matters, but also the length matters too. For reducing CC printing issues, the smaller mag is likely a good choice, but the 2 larger sizes may be better for hand grip. Depends on your hand size and grip. Regardless of your decision and road you chose to follow, best of luck to you.

I believe that mental preparation for becoming a pro-active armed citizen is where the decision to carry (or not) begins.

If an individual is not psychologically prepared to use his or her weapon when needed, it is advisable to NOT carry the weapon. When displayed, there is a serious chance the firearm may be taken and used against its owner.

Once that barrier has been dealt with, then the defensive carrier must begin to prepare the mind for a heightened sense of situational awareness. Col. Cooper’s Color-Coded Awareness provides a logical and reasonable method for training the mind to be continually aware of one’s surroundings and also describes a method for bridging back and forth between condition levels of readiness without adding unneeded stress levels to everyday life. Practicing this technique does not require any material tool and it is suggested one practice the method even when unarmed.

The combination of the first two steps in self defense prepare one for the biomechanical steps needed to attain proficiency with the firearm or chosen tool. Proficiency of course includes safe firearm handling practices. It would be foolish to purchase the equipment only to be found having bled out from a self-inflicted accidental gunshot wound to the groin or elsewhere!

Merely strapping a tool to one’s person does not make him prepared for its use any more than purchasing a Fluke volt/ohmmeter makes the average person an electrical engineer.

Just because I own a hammer…

PS Going to the range and trying out various platforms and calibers is great advice. I prefer to carry the most potent caliber I can manage well. In my case, I come sown on the 45 ACP's side in the XD-S with Crimson Trace Laser Guard for daily carry. Whenever Springfield comes out with the XD-E optics ready with Hex installed, I will trade off.

Try out several handguns. Everyone's hands are different sizes and shapes. More than likely you'll know when you pick up the right handgun for CCW. It needs to be something that feels good in your hand, can be drawn easily and covertly, which means holster selection is almost as important as handgun selection. Then it's a matter of practice, practice, practice, then more drills and practice. While doing this, learn your state CCW laws. Know where you can carry, what constitutes a lethal threat, anything you can think of that might apply to carrying concealed. Then practice some more. Think about your sight picture, back drop, and beyond. Remember that once you pull the trigger that round is going to do what it was designed to do, destroy whatever it impacts, be that the person who is the threat, an innocent bystander, or someone standing behind the bad guy who catches the round after it passes thru the bad guy. Carrying a concealed handgun carries a huge amount of responsibility and it bears thinking about on a constant basis while you're out and about. After a while, you should develop a survival mindset where you're constantly aware of your surroundings, exits, people who are in your line of sight, and any out of the ordinary activity going on where you are. Situational awareness is very important if you are carrying a concealed handgun. You're not carrying a gun to be a hero, you're carrying a gun to protect your life and the life of your loved ones. Keep that defensive mindset and keep practicing, there's always room for improvement at the range, and in your method of thought while carrying concealed. Proper weapon and ammo + proper holster + proper mindset = good situational awareness. Only way to achieve it is thru more training and more education.

People are talking about situational awareness when carrying a handgun, but those skills should be engrained well before you ever even think of carrying a weapon...I've taught my kids from very early on that you must always be aware of your surroundings and stay vigilant. This isn't a lifeskill just for those of us that are armed, this is even more important for those that aren't! The old saying of keep your head on a swivel is more important these days since everyone else is constantly distracted with their face in their phone 24/7 and they are the ones that have target or victim flashing over their head in neon for the would-be badguys!

People are talking about situational awareness when carrying a handgun, but those skills should be engrained well before you ever even think of carrying a weapon...I've taught my kids from very early on that you must always be aware of your surroundings and stay vigilant. This isn't a lifeskill just for those of us that are armed, this is even more important for those that aren't! The old saying of keep your head on a swivel is more important these days since everyone else is constantly distracted with their face in their phone 24/7 and they are the ones that have target or victim flashing over their head in neon for the would-be badguys!
You were fortunate to have your dad instruct you so wisely.
Not all children are brought up to be aware of their surroundings.
This skill I learned in the Scouting program but it wasn't codified until I began reading Col. Cooper's work.
I miss Cooper, Reagan and Rush every day.

Agreed. "Head on a swivel" is what I have always said to my kids.

David, since you have shot a lot of guns, you are used to different guns, so you at least have some idea of which guns you prefer.

I think there are four factors you need to consider: comfort, weight, caliber, and reliability:
  • Comfort: if it is uncomfortable to carry, you probably won't carry very often.
  • Weight: if the gun is very heavy, you may not carry it very often. A big factor in weight is how many bullets are in the gun. I have found that carrying my 8-round Ruger EC9S with a spare 7-round magazine doesn't feel as heavy as carrying my 14-round Beretta. Both guns are about the same size, but with the Ruger, half of the bullets are on my left, and half on my right, whereas with the Beretta, all of the bullets (plus the gun) are on my same side. (That's probably why it feels heavier to carry the Beretta!) But it isn't that much heavier, so I go back and forth about which gun I prefer to carry.
  • Caliber: How well do you shoot a particular caliber? If a large caliber (e.g. 357 magnum) makes it hard to quickly get off the 2nd and 3rd shot, you should probably choose a smaller caliber (e.g. 38 special). Two or three well-placed shots, fired quickly, from a .380, can do more than one shot from a .45.
  • Reliability: The gun has to work, whenever you pull the trigger. If your gun is prone to feed failures and other issues, then either figure out why and fix it, or get a more reliable gun. My Ruger EC9S has always performed flawlessly, with all brands of ammo. However, my Beretta had many failures to feed with cheap ammo, till I fixed a couple of things on it: (1) I started lubricating my slide with a good quality gun grease rather than oil. (2) I got a stainless steel guide rod (with recoil spring) to replace the plastic guide rod which came with the gun (and which was starting to bend!). Once I fixed those two issues, my Beretta has performed flawlessly (Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact).
Go to your local gun store and get a few cheap holsters of different sizes. Then go to the range and rent a few different guns, using whichever holster fit the gun. Try them out before buying them. And watch lots of Youtube videos put out by others who speak about their experiences with CCW. One of my favorites is sootch00 - he has a lot of excellent videos. Another excellent one is "Lucky Gunner Ammo" (Chris Baker). In my opinion, Chris Baker is the best gun teacher on Youtube.

David, since you have shot a lot of guns, you are used to different guns, so you at least have some idea of which guns you prefer.

I think there are four factors you need to consider: comfort, weight, caliber, and reliability:
  • Comfort: if it is uncomfortable to carry, you probably won't carry very often.
  • Weight: if the gun is very heavy, you may not carry it very often. A big factor in weight is how many bullets are in the gun. I have found that carrying my 8-round Ruger EC9S with a spare 7-round magazine doesn't feel as heavy as carrying my 14-round Beretta. Both guns are about the same size, but with the Ruger, half of the bullets are on my left, and half on my right, whereas with the Beretta, all of the bullets (plus the gun) are on my same side. (That's probably why it feels heavier to carry the Beretta!) But it isn't that much heavier, so I go back and forth about which gun I prefer to carry.
  • Caliber: How well do you shoot a particular caliber? If a large caliber (e.g. 357 magnum) makes it hard to quickly get off the 2nd and 3rd shot, you should probably choose a smaller caliber (e.g. 38 special). Two or three well-placed shots, fired quickly, from a .380, can do more than one shot from a .45.
  • Reliability: The gun has to work, whenever you pull the trigger. If your gun is prone to feed failures and other issues, then either figure out why and fix it, or get a more reliable gun. My Ruger EC9S has always performed flawlessly, with all brands of ammo. However, my Beretta had many failures to feed with cheap ammo, till I fixed a couple of things on it: (1) I started lubricating my slide with a good quality gun grease rather than oil. (2) I got a stainless steel guide rod (with recoil spring) to replace the plastic guide rod which came with the gun (and which was starting to bend!). Once I fixed those two issues, my Beretta has performed flawlessly (Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact).
Go to your local gun store and get a few cheap holsters of different sizes. Then go to the range and rent a few different guns, using whichever holster fit the gun. Try them out before buying them. And watch lots of Youtube videos put out by others who speak about their experiences with CCW. One of my favorites is sootch00 - he has a lot of excellent videos. Another excellent one is "Lucky Gunner Ammo" (Chris Baker). In my opinion, Chris Baker is the best gun teacher on Youtube.
There is one other thing that I failed to mention, and that is, when you carry, you must become a "peacemaker", if you are not already. You have to do what you can to avoid situations which could result in a fight; and you have to do what you can to reduce tension when things are moving in the direction of a fight. Why? Because a fight can lead to gunfire. So not only could someone get killed or maimed from gunfire (including you), but if you have to shoot someone, and a jury thinks you started it, even with a cross word, they might find you guilty of murder (if someone died in the gunfight).

This principle also applies when you are driving. If someone cuts you off, let him through; don't fight him for that spot, because that could lead to a road rage incident, which could lead to gunfire, if you or the other driver are carrying.

I'm about to start carrying pepper spray in addition to carrying a gun, so that the gun is not my only option.

I am not a "hellcat" person and do not own one. That said, I do have a few compact, striker fired 9mm handguns that I do carry on occasion.

If I were looking for a compact 9mm for carry, I would simply get a good idea of 3 that are known to be reliable and then I would go handle them at the gun store. If the gun has a reputation of being reliable and suits my ergonomical and Co$t requirements, I would mull it over for about 30 seconds and just pick one. I dont necessarily feel that a person absolutely has to go to the range and shoot one, its just not that deep. That is assuming that a person is familiar with striker fired guns. If you have NEVER fired a striker fired gun, .. then yeah, you might want to test one out.

The only concern that I have ever had about any CCW is physical size, (suitable caliber), reliability and being able to manage a proper grip. If I can operate the controls properly and my natural grip allows for proper finger placement and alignment of the weapon, I am good to go so long as I trust that it will be reliable.

Back