testtest

Flashlight EDC

USMC1911

Elite
I have owned several different flashlights over the years. I have Recently found one I really enjoy carrying. The Surefire Stiletto Pro. I like how they made the design to fit flat like a knife in your pocket. I tend to carry it on my person as opposed to sitting in a bag. Is a flashlight part of your EDC? I also like to take training with the use of hand held lights and firearms.

Attachments

• 480E0F6E-2161-4E08-9B2C-721ACF24A4C8.jpeg
    480E0F6E-2161-4E08-9B2C-721ACF24A4C8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 3024B640-6A76-460E-B14A-93DC3BE33E0E.jpeg
    3024B640-6A76-460E-B14A-93DC3BE33E0E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 116
I carry a Streamlight microstream ( 35 lumens ) all day long around my apartment and when I go out I have a microstream usb (250 lumen high and 50 lumens low ) . If I think I will be venturing farther away from my home I will also use my Surefire Z2 with after market bulb or my G2Z with identical bulb at 1000 lumens rating. I have always had a flashlight with me in my vehicle since I started driving.

My everyday light is a Fenix RC05SE. Apparently the SE is a special order for REI. It has the tail cap switch as opposed to a button on the side. It also remembers the last brightness setting that you used.

It's a 300 lumen light. It's 4 inches long, just a little bit more than 5/8 in outer diameter. It has a clip but I can't really speak one way or the other about it because I never use it I just carry it in my pocket.

I carried out I think for the last 5 years that I worked security and I used it every single night. It was adequate for most of the things that I did. I especially like the fact that it was rechargeable. I have no problem believing that I've saved the price of the light multiple times by having to buy batteries.

I also own a Fenix UC35 that I carried on my belt at work. I had the first one I bought for about 5 years before the charging port gave out.

I contacted Fenix for a warranty replacement. The first person I spoke to asked for the serial number on the light. He then informed me that I had purchased it from another distributor and I'd have to deal with them for a replacement.

Then he gave me the phone number for that distributor and told me who to speak to.

When I contacted the other distributor the first CSR had already emailed the person he directed me to and given him the pertinent details.

I sent the flashlight in for replacement. Fenix payed shipping both ways and upgraded me to the latest version of the light at no extra charge. I had the new light back within a week.

Their customer service won a customer for life.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have owned several different flashlights over the years. I have Recently found one I really enjoy carrying. The Surefire Stiletto Pro. I like how they made the design to fit flat like a knife in your pocket. I tend to carry it on my person as opposed to sitting in a bag. Is a flashlight part of your EDC? I also like to take training with the use of hand held lights and firearms.

I have a couple of flashlights I like to carry. The Microstream is "just enough" so I usually carry the bigger generic flashlight because it's brighter and has a focused beam.

1672091586569.png

My local range offers a "Low Light Techniques" class that I have yet to take. It's on my list. ;)

Does your Stiletto light have a rechargeable battery? I like the flat profile. I learn something new here every day. Thanks! :)

[EDIT] I see the Stiletto has a USB recharging port. Very cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi guys,

FWIW I won't by a flashlight that isn't USB rechargeable
I am just the opposite, don't own one. I want to be able to.pop in a spare battery and get back running in seconds if needs be.

I guess it depends on how you operate. Rechargeable batteries are convenient, if you remember to keep them charged. If the battery dies, it's convenient to be able to pop in a new one. I've gotten into the habit of carrying a couple spare batteries in my backpack. I usually have a flashlight in the glove box, one in my pocket, and two in the backpack not to mention the big one on my nightstand. I love flashlights. :D

BassCliff

Hi guys,

I guess it depends on how you operate. Rechargeable batteries are convenient, if you remember to keep them charged. If the battery dies, it's convenient to be able to pop in a new one. I've gotten into the habit of carrying a couple spare batteries in my backpack. I usually have a flashlight in the glove box, one in my pocket, and two in the backpack not to mention the big one on my nightstand. I love flashlights. :D

BassCliff
Oh I have rechargeable eneloop batteries both aa and aaa, quite a number. I just do not own a rechargeable only flashlight. I want my flashlight to use alkaline, lithium or rechargeable batterues interchangeably.

Last edited:
Oh I have rechargeable eneloop batteries both aa and aaa, quite a number. I just do not own a rechargeable only flashlight. I want my flashlight to use alkaline, lithium or rechargeable batterues interchangeably.
You can use non rechargeable batteries in a Fenix light. You could even buy spare Fenix batteries and recharge them.

The USB charger just made it easier to charge the light at work if I needed to.

Cheap 10 dollar gas station flashlight. Discard the AAA battery pack. Cut a piece of pvc pipe the correct length. Add 2 CR 123 / 3v batteries. Out performs your high dollar Surefire lights. My edc 3 years now, zero problems.

Attachments

• 20221229_120211.jpg
    20221229_120211.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 115
Using Fenix PD 35 series ($75, w/5 light settings up to 1000L) since 2012, bought another spare for critter watch when the dog goes out at night in 2015. The original sets of rechargeable lith batteries I bought for rotation are about at the end of their life, 7-10 yrs not bad but the new longer lasting high amp batteries are +$20. Some Fenix models accept and can interchange with AA alkaline and or the long shelf life CR123.
I have a generic 170L SHTF nightstand flashlight with a Cr123 that has a 7 yr old battery (just checked) and still going strong. I have to try that conversion Yotehtr did for my glovebox flashlights.
I put a dates on my batteries for the smoke/CO detectors, a habit that spilled over to household emergency lanterns/flashlight lights and tools to have an idea of their age especially for the Li-on variety.

One thing about the Fenix is the color of the outer light, it seems to cast yellowish (warm) tint in low output modes rather than an bright cool white. This is annoying when trying to distinguish the color or wiring doing automotive electrical work.

I don't know about outperforming anything, but I have a Streamlight on a shotgun that is pretty nice and I have a $30 Feyachi that is bright as the sun, came with rechargeable batteries that never seem to go dead and has lasted and served me very well for many years now.

IMO, people spend way too much money on flashlights.

I have four of their weapon lights. they are good to go and 1200 lumens to boot. They make some pretty good stuff. I was impressed with their lights i bought a few other items from them and have been impressed.

I have their steel, ball bearing, flip up BUIS on 3 of my ARs. They're not spring loaded, but they are tough enough.

The WML is now relegated to hand held. The MOE to M-Lok adaptors I had it hooked up to my 500 with broke. Those were Magpul products. The pressure switch and everything else is still just fine.

The 500 now wears a Streamlight mounted to a barrel clamp, which has a QD sling mount on the other side. Courtesy of GG&G and @Talyn.

Received my Stiletto today. Nice light the "tactical switch" button is almost impossible to push though. Not sure if designed that way or not.

Back