testtest

Flower Pot “Heater”

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With the the freezing temperatures in the South a few weeks ago terracotta pots and safe chafing heat cans can serve as an emergency heat source.

Flower Pot “Heater”

1615486745945.png

I guess the point I was trying to make is that #1 water transfers heat very well, as does metal so heating water in a metal comtainer would cool of faster than solid thick material.

So the the clay pots would absorb heat, hold it & release it better than heating water over a stove.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that #1 water transfers heat very well, as does metal so heating water in a metal comtainer would cool of faster than solid thick material.

So the the clay pots would absorb heat, hold it & release it better than heating water over a stove.
Seems like I recall reading once that people in the old days used to heat bricks in the fireplace or wood burning stove, then at bedtime wrap one in cloth and put it in the foot of the bed..
Same principle? Slow release of heat ?

Seems like I recall reading once that people in the old days used to heat bricks in the fireplace or wood burning stove, then at bedtime wrap one in cloth and put it in the foot of the bed..
Same principle? Slow release of heat ?
They also had foot stoves, cast iron covered pans with decorative cutouts, that they put the heated bricks in and slid in under the far foot of the covers. For the wealthier folks.

On the neat old long wood handled brass bed warmers?
Can possibly be dual purposed? - May make great popcorn poppers too?

Have also heard stories of people placing baked potatoes in beds or pockets to be used as warmers too.
Improvisation is mother of invention?

I'm late to this party but when you have no electric or gas it's harder to boil water. I think the burner under the pot would do great. It would be far better than an open flame. @Talyn thank you for sharing.

sunflower heater on a grill tank works pretty good.
I have a wall mount lp heater that I put on a stand so I can move it where I need it, then hot a hose that hooks to a grill tank, it wont burn for a long time on high, maybe 4 hours, but it throws out a lot of heat. Ut does have a fan, nut it is an add on accessory and not needed.
But I have a generator anyway. Kind of need one in the middle of nowhere. I think 70% of my little town owns generators. So since my furnace is lp, I am set.

If I was going to use something like this, especially in a closed space, I'd want to have a carbon monoxide detector. I say this because years ago I remember that three Boy Scout troop leaders were found dead in their tent while on a camping trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains and were apparently poisoned by carbon monoxide from a propane-fueled space heater. I'm wondering if Talyn's setup would pose a similar danger.

If I was going to use something like this, especially in a closed space, I'd want to have a carbon monoxide detector. I say this because years ago I remember that three Boy Scout troop leaders were found dead in their tent while on a camping trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains and were apparently poisoned by carbon monoxide from a propane-fueled space heater. I'm wondering if Talyn's setup would pose a similar danger.
It could if you didn't have ventilation. I agree a carbon monoxide detector would be of great value.

Agreed, but note the heat source for the flower pot heater is a Sterno-type/alcohol heater which emits far less nasty gases than a different combusting heat source.

Back