testtest

FMJ

Pistol or rifle makes no difference! Do you use them and your purpose for the type? I'm a big believer in them for any and everything. 99% of what I killed are with fmj, except birds. The 6.5cal is 1 of the most cartridge varieties I have (6.5gren, 6.5cm, 260rem and 264wm) and now added Hornady 123fmj into the mix. From lapua 100gr fmj, 120 norma fmj, Hornady 123 fmj and lapua 144fmj for the finish, not Finish! Every caliber except for the .277/6.8 I have fmj. Barnes tac-x is the closest I can get for that caliber. Norma makes a 130fr fmj, but can find in the US. In the speer #15 shows a 115fmj in the .277/6.8 cal. The company said not available! :(

I only use them at the pistol range now. When I used to hunt, I used expanding bullets that would "mushroom" after impact.

Pistol or rifle makes no difference! Do you use them and your purpose for the type? I'm a big believer in them for any and everything. 99% of what I killed are with fmj, except birds. The 6.5cal is 1 of the most cartridge varieties I have (6.5gren, 6.5cm, 260rem and 264wm) and now added Hornady 123fmj into the mix. From lapua 100gr fmj, 120 norma fmj, Hornady 123 fmj and lapua 144fmj for the finish, not Finish! Every caliber except for the .277/6.8 I have fmj. Barnes tac-x is the closest I can get for that caliber. Norma makes a 130fr fmj, but can find in the US. In the speer #15 shows a 115fmj in the .277/6.8 cal. The company said not available! :(

I agree with you. I like to reload the FMJBT bullets they are very accurate, I use my reloads for range or target practice both Rifle & Pistol but when shooting a Match I prefer to use match Factory Ammo and FMJBT Rifle FMJFB Pistol is my choice. For Hunting, I use factory ammo and not my reloads.

I use plated, so kinda FMJ, for a lot of handgun blasters-.45, 9mm, etc. I’m starting to switch to coated, though; been using coated in .38’s and .357’s for the past couple years, and I think I’m going to try them in .45 next.

Rifles...I’ve reloaded 55gr FMJBT for .223, but...I got a pile (5k) of 55gr HP-BT (forget by who, offhand...Sierra, maybe?) for a steal a few years ago, and I’m going through them.

Heavier rifle calibers, nah. Usually BT’s, SP’s, or HP’s, depending on purpose...the price break just isn’t big enough.

I use plated, so kinda FMJ, for a lot of handgun blasters-.45, 9mm, etc. I’m starting to switch to coated, though; been using coated in .38’s and .357’s for the past couple years, and I think I’m going to try them in .45 next.

Rifles...I’ve reloaded 55gr FMJBT for .223, but...I got a pile (5k) of 55gr HP-BT (forget by who, offhand...Sierra, maybe?) for a steal a few years ago, and I’m going through them.

Heavier rifle calibers, nah. Usually BT’s, SP’s, or HP’s, depending on purpose...the price break just isn’t big enough.
Have you ever used powder coated lead cast bullets?

Don't know what state you live in but where I am, FMJ are an absolute NO. They are not well suited for a quick, clean, and humane kill under any circumstances. They are totally illegal for any game animal under any circumstance. My typical uses for them is for 'hole punching', some limited competitions, and training classes.

I'm not beating you up as it may very well be totally legal in your home state. Just making a point again about state's rights I guess.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Don't know what state you live in but where I am, FMJ are an absolute NO. They are not well suited for a quick, clean, and humane kill under any circumstances. They are totally illegal for any game animal under any circumstance. My typical uses for them is for 'hole punching', some limited competitions, and training classes.

I'm not beating you up as it may very well be totally legal in your home state. Just making a point again about state's rights I guess.

regards,
jumpinjoe
Texas! Prairie dogs, coyotes, hogs, and other non seasonal animals that are pests/varmints that pose danger too crops and livestock. Never had a problem with 1 shot 1 kill even on 300#+ hogs at extended ranges.

Last edited:
Texas! Prairie dogs, coyotes, hogs, and other non seasonal animals that are pests/varmints that pose danger too crops and livestock. Never had a problem with 1 shot 1 kill even on 300#+ hogs at extended ranges.
My Bad! I thought we were talking specifically about 'game' animals. Actually, here where I'm from I'm thinking the FMJ's are legal for a select few fur-bearers, varmints and/or pests. Especially by some of the fur hunters. Makes a much smaller hole, though I'm still a little skeptical about ratio of 'quick, clean, and humane' kills. I've hunted over many, many years and many, many kinds of animals. I honestly don't think I could say the FMJ's always did as well as the typical hunting bullets.

Here's just an observation to consider ... the FMJ is more likely to tumble in a 300# hog at "extended ranges" and cause a relatively quick kill, when at close ranges, say <100-150 yds, it's more likely to punch a hole right through and keep going unless it hits hard bone, such as a head shot which isn't real common on a running hog way out there. In this case it's likely the hog will keep going too. Just my observation and something to ponder!

Not arguing, just offering a personal viewpoint.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Back