testtest

Garrison Purchase

Thinking of purchasing a Garrison in 9mm. I was wondering if anybody has one and what they think about it. Ket me know the good and bad.
I have looked at them at my shop, but to be honest with all the issues SA are having with there pistols, I rather get a Kimber in 9mm, Swartz safety and all.
Although mine are .45’s, I have had zero issues with both my SA 1911’s.
I trust SA 1911’s in both calibers and would not hesitate to buy one.
I had a Kimber ProCarry 2 that had severe issues always and had another that ran flawless. I’d say SA is no better or no worse than Kimber, but I lean towards SA on 1911’s

Although mine are .45’s, I have had zero issues with both my SA 1911’s.
I trust SA 1911’s in both calibers and would not hesitate to buy one.
I had a Kimber ProCarry 2 that had severe issues always and had another that ran flawless. I’d say SA is no better or no worse than Kimber, but I lean towards SA on 1911’s
Had zero issues with either of my Kimber’s, on my RO Operator, had to change recoil spring due to it was underpowered from factory, my SA-35 is going to be trader fodder, very disappointed in it, jams more then my grape jam I put on toast, plus I don’t believe in having to send a new gun back because it doesn’t work, something broke and such yea, but not do to function issues, just me

I have a stainless .45acp Garrison and a beautiful blued 9mm Garrison. A stainless 9mm or .45acp should cause you no issues provided you keep them lubed well. Both of mine were purchased brand new. I've carried 1911 pistols since 1970, before either pistol was fired they were field stripped and lubed.

My 9mm ran fine with 124gr fmj for only two magazines. Then the slide went into slow motion fail to return to battery situation. It took a firm slap to the slide to get it to fire a single round at a time. I called SA warranty, it was recommended that I return the pistol to SA for evaluation which was to take "2 to 4 weeks". I chose to have a local 1911 gunsmith evaluate the issue. And before someone again says I "voided the warranty", so be it. I live in northern AZ close to Gunsite gunsmiths, Dave Lauck and Don Williams, all top notch 1911 smiths.

There were obvious burrs on the slide and frame, an out of spec disconnector, and raised serial number stencil on the bottom of the slide. It took the gunsmith less than one week to determine the quality control failure. Once addressed the pistol ran like I expected a SA 1911 pistol to perform. Garrisons are great shooters with light recoil due to the weight of the all steel construction. SA needs to improve their quality control procedure. The SA customer service and warranty department reps are very responsive to consumers.

I have since tried two other brand new blued Garrison .45acp and 9mm pistols at a law enforcement supply source. Both had the same slide to frame interference. There are a few reviews on the internet about similar failure to return to battery complaints on blued Garrison pistols.

I got approx. 500 rds through it. Unfortunately the beautiful bluing began to wear through to bare metal on the right side of the frame between the grip panel and the main spring housing. The bluing was not worn on the grip front strap, grip safety, or slide or anywhere else.

SA has had my blued 9mm Garrison since March 27th to evaluate the finish wear. I'm hoping to hear soon when it will be returned to me.

You might also consider a Ronin model. I've got a 4.25" .45acp Ronin that is beautiful and performs very well.

Last edited:
Well i went and looked at it this morning and it did nothing for me. I did a complete 360 and purchased a stainless Ruger Single Six! Really it's a birthday present to myself. Had one years ago and wish i never got rid of it.
IMG_1978.jpeg

Just the shear number of threads on this forum about people having issues with SA 1911s is enough to insure I probably won't buy one. But then the next 1911 I buy ( and I also believe 1911s are .45 ACP) will be a high end job that I know will run great right out of the box.

Had zero issues with either of my Kimber’s, on my RO Operator, had to change recoil spring due to it was underpowered from factory, my SA-35 is going to be trader fodder, very disappointed in it, jams more then my grape jam I put on toast, plus I don’t believe in having to send a new gun back because it doesn’t work, something broke and such yea, but not do to function issues, just me
Think I just have fixed my SA-35, I tried putting a stronger recoil spring in it, not sure what Springfield uses, but I know a stock spring is 17#, mine didn’t feel like that so I installed a 18#, seemed to help immensely, so I am going to wait till I at least get 300 rounds through it before I make a decision on trading or keeping it. Had to do the same thing with my RO Operator in 9mm, weird.

I have a blued 9mm Garrison and it works just fine other than a few hiccups on its maiden voyage the day I picked it up but that was due to an abundance of factory travel snot and an out of spec round issue. I cleaned all the factory slime out, properly oiled it, replaced the weak #9 factory recoil spring with a #12 and did a few cosmetic mods and it went through 200 rounds of 115 and 124 grain with zero problems.

Attachments

• IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
nutmedge that is really nice. Did it come with an extra .22 mag cylinder? This model is on my bucket list!
Yes it did! I haven't shot the magnum yet. This was a brand new pistol so happy I didn't have any new gun issues

New 9mm Garrison went from gun store right back to SA got it home the slide locked up so bad I could not get it to move and i could not get a magazine in it unless I held the release in.called SA they emailed me all return labels and off it went.three weeks and no info on it
this makes me wonder about "some" gun makers.

what i mean is that, i have a Kimber Custom II.

it had an issue, so i called CS.

the agent told me what to do, and i sent it back to them down in AL

it was worked on (they found additional issues i was not aware of), they fixed it, and sent it back to me in less than 10 days.

so, what i wonder is, "what is the defect rate per gun model, per units sold"..??

then "what are the turn-around times"..??

if Kimber can get my gun, diagnose it, repair it, then return it to me in less that 10 days......this is telling me that thier defect rate is MUCH lower than say Springfield, as i read time and time again, right here on this site, the horrendous turn around times from S/A, regarding repairs..

sending "spare parts for no charge", i give S/A high accolade's, but overall i am thinking thier repair/return times just suck.

They do this with all products from cars to toasters they make it the consumers problem so your forced into jumping through hoops to get your defective product fixed on your dime.I bought a Lazy Boy recliner $2700 it was defective they said we will send someone out to fix it I fought them tooth and nail I wanted a new one I didn’t pay for a defective recliner I paid for a working one I got a new one after fighting with them and it was also broken after three recliners they finally delivered a working one. Never Lazy Boy again

Back