testtest

Garrison sight removal PITA.

fordag

Elite
I purchased a Garrison 1911 on Friday, also ordered replacement sights from Springfield, (Operator sights). The sights arrived today and I attempted to swap them, a simple job right?

Well the Novak rear sight on the Garrison will not budge.

First and foremost I removed the set screw in the rear sight.

I first tried a MGW Sight Mover Tool #310 for 1911s. It would not budge the rear Novak sight. That sight mover tool has never failed me before.

So I mounted the slide in a vise with wood jaws and a piece of clean leather over the jaws and tried a punch and hammer. The sight still will not budge. I then even tried drifting it out right to left as a last ditch attempt. There was no movement on the sight.

I'm annoyed not just because I couldn't move the rear sight, but because the slide ended up marred from the leather covered vise jaws and trying the remove the sight with a drift. I've never had this happen before and I've done many a sight replacement/adjustment this way.

I personally do not see any benefit to the factory making the sights this difficult to move.

Better yet I was examining the, brand new from Springfield, Operator rear sight and it has no white dots, just two black empty holes.

Before and after pics.

Springfield has quoted me $65 to do the slight replacement for me + $30 shipping with a 2-7 week turn around.

20230515_143956 - Copy.jpg

20230515_155916 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
is the rear sight dependant on a particular way to remove it...??

like from left to right, or vice/versa..???

my Lyman instructions "give" some directions (on some gun companies) as to the direction the rear sight must be moved to remove it.

a local gunsmith might be quicker to do this.

is the rear sight dependant on a particular way to remove it...??

like from left to right, or vice/versa..???

my Lyman instructions "give" some directions (on some gun companies) as to the direction the rear sight must be moved to remove it.

a local gunsmith might be quicker to do this.
In my experience sights go in and out from left to right.

I'd need to do some research to find a reliable gunsmith in my area.

In my experience sights go in and out from left to right.

I'd need to do some research to find a reliable gunsmith in my area.
ok, i just went and got my Lyman sight pusher instructions.

"to install", go right to left. (so, remove left to right)

however, with a Glock..??

either direction!!

i got this from a 1911 site

"I've gone through this with a Springfield XDS. Apparently, Springfield uses a large interference fit with a massive hydraulic press to shove these things in with. So I took a pistol smith's recommendation and basically split the thing in two with a cutting wheel (lengthwise with the dovetail cut) and it popped right out. Had to be real careful to not nick the slide though."

" Massive interference fit. Best to cut them out."

i ain't sure i believe that......but that was from a 1911 website....

ok, i just went and got my Lyman sight pusher instructions.

"to install", go right to left. (so, remove left to right)

i ain't sure i believe that......but that was from a 1911 website....

Interesting on the Lyman. My MGW sight pusher says remove sights left to right and install left to right. Kuhnhausen also states left to right as does Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance.

Apparently, Springfield uses a large interference fit with a massive hydraulic press to shove these things in with.
This is so frustrating. This doesn't help the end user at all. I have no desire to approach my 1911 with a Dremel tool :).

Last edited:
I experienced the same issue with my two Garrison pistols, 9mm and .45acp. The rear sight defeated my heavy duty sight pusher to it's limits. SA installs their rear sight as crazy tight as Kahr installs their oem sights. I decided to just install the front night sight myself (be aware of the 1/16"x1/4" roll pin in the front sight) and leave the rear sight as oem, but with green 'glow paint' on the dots. On my Ronin Commander the rear sight finally did come off, but only with an air cut off wheel to cut it in the middle, penetrating oil, a brass punch and a sledge hammer.

In hind sight I should have just sent the Garrison slides to SA and pay to have it done. The cost would have been less than the frustration factor. The worst part would be the "2 to 4 week wait" wait to get the slide back...they're busy fixing all those Prodigy pistols first.😉

Interesting on the Lyman. My MGW sight pusher says remove sights left to right and install left to right. Kuhnhausen also states left to right as does Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance.

This is so frustrating. This doesn't help the end user at all. I have no desire to approach my 1911 with a Dremel tool :).

That refers to the XD series, not the 1911’s.

Springfield actually makes their 1811’s, where XD’s are made in Croatia.

I experienced the same issue with my two Garrison pistols, 9mm and .45acp. The rear sight defeated my heavy duty sight pusher to it's limits. SA installs their rear sight as crazy tight as Kahr installs their oem sights. I decided to just install the front night sight myself (be aware of the 1/16"x1/4" roll pin in the front sight) and leave the rear sight as oem, but with green 'glow paint' on the dots. On my Ronin Commander the rear sight finally did come off, but only with lots of penetrating oil, a big brass punch and 2# sledge hammer.

In hind sight I should have just sent the Garrison slides to SA and pay to have it done. The cost would have been less than the frustration factor. The worst part would be the "2 to 4 week wait" wait to get the slide back...they're busy fixing all those Prodigy pistols first.😉
The issue for me is my dislike of Novak rear sights that began in 1985, when he introduced them. I thought they were stupid then and my opinion of them hasn't changed. So replacing the rear sight is the entire point of this exercise for me.

I'm probably going to just send it back to SA to save further hassle. Especially since the rear sight they sent me needs to also be replaced.

That refers to the XD series, not the 1911’s.

Springfield actually makes their 1811’s, where XD’s are made in Croatia.
Good to know, still though it certainly feels like they did the same with my Garrison. My 3 lb. hammer and punch didn't budge the sights. I've never encountered sights in this tight.

Good to know, still though it certainly feels like they did the same with my Garrison. My 3 lb. hammer and punch didn't budge the sights. I've never encountered sights in this tight.
doesn't matter, that link i gave you was for a 1911.......

they are pressed in....

PITA, so............

you have choices.....keep the rear sight, send it off to S/A, or a local guy.

maybe a 4th choice...

Here’s a top tip from a gunsmif…..look at the front face of the rear sight. You will see the smudge on one side of the sight from when the sight was installed. on 1911’s the top of the slide is round so you can see part of the front of the sight that was in the dovetail and then pushed past the slide being exposed Again on the other side. Just go the opposite direction.

by the way I charge 30.00 to do an install and that includes the return shipping. Would not normally advertise, but you posted SA’s rates. www.xdman.com

Here’s a top tip from a gunsmif…..look at the front face of the rear sight. You will see the smudge on one side of the sight from when the sight was installed. on 1911’s the top of the slide is round so you can see part of the front of the sight that was in the dovetail and then pushed past the slide being exposed Again on the other side. Just go the opposite direction.

by the way I charge 30.00 to do an install and that includes the return shipping. Would not normally advertise, but you posted SA’s rates. www.xdman.com
I looked for marks showing how the sight had gone in when left to right didn't work. There are no marks on the sight itself. There are marks on the bottom of the dovetail, on both sides, so the marks didn't help in this case.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

This is all making me very happy with my decision to NOT change the sights on my Garrison. I’ve changed my own sights on everything I’ve owned except one handgun but I keep hearing bad things about the Garrison and Springfield sight swaps.

I have a 1 ton press, what I don't have is a fixture to hold the slide in place.
you might be able to make a jig outta spare wood..???

i "wonder too", if maybe a gunsmiths block might be of help..???

i got one like this, i think from Brownells.??

shopping

This is all making me very happy with my decision to NOT change the sights on my Garrison. I’ve changed my own sights on everything I’ve owned except one handgun but I keep hearing bad things about the Garrison and Springfield sight swaps.
i very rarely change sights, only make adjustments.

but i still bought the Lyman sight tool, from Lyman, cheaper than from one of the usual online places i buy from.

i have only once now, had to replace a fiber optic rod in my Kimber, and did pretty good with that, using a good "old" Radio Shack soldering iron for the heat..

sometimes i buy gunsmithing tools, cuz i like tools (former mechanic, and Tim "the tool man" Taylor fan)

so passing by the tool isles at Home Depot, Lowe's, and my hardware stores are impossible.

but also, from time to time, i DO make some repairs, minor that they be, and i don't wanna hack or butcher my guns with improper tools.

i very rarely change sights, only make adjustments.

but i still bought the Lyman sight tool, from Lyman, cheaper than from one of the usual online places i buy from.

i have only once now, had to replace a fiber optic rod in my Kimber, and did pretty good with that, using a good "old" Radio Shack soldering iron for the heat..

sometimes i buy gunsmithing tools, cuz i like tools (former mechanic, and Tim "the tool man" Taylor fan)

so passing by the tool isles at Home Depot, Lowe's, and my hardware stores are impossible.

but also, from time to time, i DO make some repairs, minor that they be, and i don't wanna hack or butcher my guns with improper tools.
I’m pretty much the same, I have to tinker with things and nothing I own stays stock for long, (not even my cars) and my tool collection continues to outpace my toolbox capacity. Even the AR I “built” the way I wanted got changed after the fact. I wanted night sights on my handguns so I did the math and buying a universal sight pusher was cheaper than paying a gunsmith to do it plus I’d be able to adjust the sights if I needed to. Unless it’s a specific range toy and the sights don’t suck I’ll change them, the Garrison factory sights don’t suck enough for me to change them and it’s just a range toy. Even my CZ TS2 Green which is pretty much perfect in every way got the front fiber sight changed from red to green because my eyes pick up the green way better (it’s a little bit of vanity too, the green matches the grips and magwell).

Back