testtest

Go Bag — 10 Items You Forgot

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With the war in Ukraine, the need for a Go Bag has become more palpable. Preparedness at home would mean absolutely nothing…if you're forced to leave your home. All of the useful, necessary stockpiled goods would be of no use if I was forced to leave home in such a way. Therefore, preparing a pack stashed with essentials seems obvious. But things that are often overlooked in the usual lists.

With the war in Ukraine, the need for a Go Bag has become more palpable. Preparedness at home would mean absolutely nothing…if you're forced to leave your home. All of the useful, necessary stockpiled goods would be of no use if I was forced to leave home in such a way. Therefore, preparing a pack stashed with essentials seems obvious. But things that are often overlooked in the usual lists.

Nice video but ... I'm thinking if 20 'experts' list 20 items you really need and 10 items that most forget, the 50# bug out/in bag (if you're lucky) can end up at 100#,if you're lucky.

Nice video but ... I'm thinking if 20 'experts' list 20 items you really need and 10 items that most forget, the 50# bug out/in bag (if you're lucky) can end up at 100#,if you're lucky.
I guess that would happen if one didn't think critically, for oneself. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised by the number of civilians moving around in the rubble dragging regular luggage. Ukraine had moved past the old Com Block civilization and embraced a more Western life style. With Russia breathing down my neck I would expect to have seen more people with a prepped escape strategy, including a way to carry necessary stuff bug out style. I do belive they have a modern consumer market over there, maybe not. My 2 cents..... or .005 cent, adjusted for inflation.

Context is always needed. 3 day food supply is always smart and a canteen ( or any kind of water storage) doesn't do you a lick of good if you can't be sure your source is purified and filtered (depending on the source).

I don't have a K-pod so the chin strap doesn't really help me.

Zip tie cuffs might be handy but I'll always try to use tactics and AVOID people I don't know (regardless of uniform or lack thereof).

To expand upon the cleaning rods, just keep a simple GI kit handy. To back up the OP (and the youtuber) having a way to clear firearms is important. Ask those who died with Custer at the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Feet. TAKE. CARE. OF. THEM. Socks are worth MORE than your weight in gold but even the best socks aren't all that helpful with crappy boots. I'm not sure what GIs are using now, but when I was in the Army we had boots as light as tennis shoes and man were they COMFY! Cost as much as a good pair of work boots ($100-150). Bonus tip for them, lace them with 550 cord if the laces you get suck.

A multi-tool is always helpful and that's coming from a guy who doesn't like them.

Even though my wife and I are older and more likely to "bug in"...I maintain a couple different "situation" kits. Backpack with life emergency supplies, separate drag bag with security equipment. We live in South Florida near the beach so we always have food and water stores. Basic prepper stuff and healthy security capabilities.

Honestly, depends on if it is SHTF scenario. Like World war, end is near stuff.
I will take what I need from those less fortunate. Not being bravado, but end of civilization, I will use my firepower to take what I need. From all those around me.
Is what is, do what you have to do
That's straight up Book Of Eli s**t right there now! I don't need enough ammo to win a war! Just enough to get some more! If the end was to come god forbid. Man will be turning on each other like insects! It's sad but true in my opinion.

Last edited:
That's straight up Book Of Eli s**t right there now! I don't need enough ammo to win a war! Just enough to get some more! If the end was to come god forbid. Man will be turning on each other like insects! It's sad but true in my opinion.

Except random moving around and all the other crap you see in the zombie flicks is completely stupid. Yeah, I got a bunch of guns and some people with me that know how to use them. So do a lot of other people and as the saying goes, there's always someone bigger and badder. No, the thing to do is find or create a stronghold. One you can defend. Then go out in small groups taking what you need from those who can't stop you.

Absolutely Agreed! As I stated earlier I live in a small very rural community. There were some people from the town of Kodiak out here where I live this winter spot lighting deer on the logging roads behind our houses. They were actually stupid enough to shoot in the direction of our houses and kill a fawn in one of my neighbors back yard, or close to it anyway. In the middle of the night! Well that didn't go over to good with my neighbor Dave. All us out here know the logging roads like the backs of our hands! Dave knew where the poachers wert exiting the logging roads out on to the main road to town. He jumps in his pick up. Waits for them at the exit. Then proceeded to give them a piece of his mind. One of the things he said was. "You idiots shoot right twords houses with families that have small children! How many guns do you think I have? How many guns do you think my neighbors have?" He got the point across real quick. None of us out here are going to murder anyone for poaching deer and spend the rest of our lives in prison. He was just trying to get the point across that they were shooting in the worst direction possible at the time. All of us out here have talked about WTSHTF how we would all develop a strong hold in one of the best bunkers out here for a good defensive position. Posting 24 hour sentries, putting all our supplies like food, ammo, medical, and, what ever else comes to mind all together as one. It helps to fortify and have a plan!!!

Last edited:
Except random moving around and all the other crap you see in the zombie flicks is completely stupid. Yeah, I got a bunch of guns and some people with me that know how to use them. So do a lot of other people and as the saying goes, there's always someone bigger and badder. No, the thing to do is find or create a stronghold. One you can defend. Then go out in small groups taking what you need from those who can't stop you.
I am in mass suburbia. Millions of people in N Tx. Roads would be clogged within 30 min.
You see the “ get our of town, hurricane is about to hit” line of cars in Louisiana, S Tx and Florida every few years. That would be my situation.
I’ll have enough food, water and gas for several weeks. After that, i’d try to make it out. I’ll fortify in place short term.
Really though, if end was here, it would be band with neighbors I know I can trust. Between the millions of cars and house pantries of dry goods, we would be able to secure what we needed. Or die trying.
I’m not about to support those who dont directly involve me or can help . Trusted neighbors will have to rely on each other as their will be millions in the same boat.
Work our way out to better sustainable quarters from there.

If I had time, like knew it was coming weeks ahead, then I have plenty to bug out to my country dwellings were there is sustainable water and food.

A "Go" or "Get Home" bag will depend on where you live & how far away from home you are whether at work each day or when traveling outside your standard operating area for a multi-day trip.

And with the latter it will depend on where you're traveling to & how long it will take to get back if you have your own transportation, or without it.

Honestly, depends on if it is SHTF scenario. Like World war, end is near stuff.
I will take what I need from those less fortunate. Not being bravado, but end of civilization, I will use my firepower to take what I need. From all those around me.
Is what is, do what you have to do
So you're the reason things go all Mad Max when times get tough. Instead of banding together with others to rebuild, you'll just decide you're the only one who deserves to live and take whatever you can get however you can. That's what I hear you saying.

You know, it's not enough just to survive. You have to deserve to survive as well. If you become evil, then your survival just makes the world an even worse place. Who wants to survive in that?

I shall now dismount my high horse.

I am in mass suburbia. Millions of people in N Tx. Roads would be clogged within 30 min.
You see the “ get our of town, hurricane is about to hit” line of cars in Louisiana, S Tx and Florida every few years. That would be my situation.
I’ll have enough food, water and gas for several weeks. After that, i’d try to make it out. I’ll fortify in place short term.
Really though, if end was here, it would be band with neighbors I know I can trust. Between the millions of cars and house pantries of dry goods, we would be able to secure what we needed. Or die trying.
I’m not about to support those who dont directly involve me or can help . Trusted neighbors will have to rely on each other as their will be millions in the same boat.
Work our way out to better sustainable quarters from there.

If I had time, like knew it was coming weeks ahead, then I have plenty to bug out to my country dwellings were there is sustainable water and food.
That's why I don't live in the city or suburbs. No offense and I don't hold anything against living in the city or suburbs. It's just not for me. 99% of all my family live in the lower 48 states. I feel for them and everyone else that dose If TSHTF. Fortunately there is an abundant supply of natural resources where I live. However, winters can be extremely harsh if a person or people have no electricity or heating fuel for furnaces or gas to run a chainsaw to buck firewood. Certain supplies will only last so long.

That's why I don't live in the city or suburbs. No offense and I don't hold anything against living in the city or suburbs. It's just not for me. 99% of all my family live in the lower 48 states. I feel for them and everyone else that dose If TSHTF. Fortunately there is an abundant supply of natural resources where I live. However, winters can be extremely harsh if a person or people have no electricity or heating fuel for furnaces or gas to run a chainsaw to buck firewood. Certain supplies will only last so long.
I live about 35 miles south of the nearest suburb of STL. In an unincorporated area of a county that is 2 counties away from STL county. It's basically po-dunk and I like it very much. I would prefer to be much further out, but the wife doesn't want to have to drive for an hour to get to the grocery store. I tried very hard to get her to move to The Black Hills. No way she was going for that. Killjoy.

Yeah Roger that I can understand your Mrs. decision to not want to be way out in the sticks. I have a very good friend that lives in Cape Gerardo. I've visited Missouri a couple times. I really enjoyed the state. Definitely plenty of country living there. Considering moving there when I'm to old to keep living the life styty I do up here, but I forgot how to get to get to Missouri. I'll have to have someone "show me" 😂😉

Yeah Roger that I can understand your Mrs. decision to not want to be way out in the sticks. I have a very good friend that lives in Cape Gerardo. I've visited Missouri a couple times. I really enjoyed the state. Definitely plenty of country living there. Considering moving there when I'm to old to keep living the life styty I do up here, but I forgot how to get to get to Missouri. I'll have to have someone "show me" 😂😉
I was just in Cape Girardeau a few weeks ago. Not far at all from me. I drove my wife nuts singing Cape Girardeau to the tune of Desperado by The Eagles all day. :)

From your location take off south/southeast.

Having grown up in a hurricane and tornado-prone area and having endured many an evacuation, I can tell you that the best go-bag is one that's always near you, and is so small that it won't occur to anyone to try and make you leave it behind. Mine is an old crossbody purse that hangs on my bedroom door, although I might upgrade that to my seldom-used SCB at some point. I carry:

- An envelope with copies of my ID documents, recent vaccinations for my dogs, a copy of the title to my car, and other important bits and bobs.

- An extremely basic first aid kit (Pepto, Advil, Neosporin, Band-Aids, stuff like that).

- Spare usb cord, wall charger, and Anker Powercore charger.

- A flash drive with backups of all my important docs, an ancient mini-mp3 player (need my tunes!) and some earbuds.

- A "backup wallet" with an old drivers license, a spare credit card, my passport, and about $300 cash.

- A small Eagle Creek packing cube with spare socks, underwear, and a mini hygiene kit (disposable toothbrush, mini floss, deodorant, folding hairbrush).

- Spare glasses (An older prescription, but close enough to get by for a few days).

- A keychain with small flashlight and assorted multitools. (Gerber Shard and Leatherman PS last time I checked).

It hangs next to my favorite hoodie. My shoe rack is next to it. In the event of a house fire or extremely sudden evacuation, I could have most of what I need to get by on hand with little trouble. (Your actual EDC/purse/laptop bag should also be nearby if possible.

For best results, mix with a few other "modules" located in other places. I keep a PCSB at work with a travel-friendly dress, thick leggings, nice sweater, and decent flats and boots. I keep a ton of survival-y gear, including an extensive first aid kit, warm quick-drying clothing, and old hiking boots in my car, along with survival rations and water.

If you're planning for the kind of event where you think you might have to go to a shelter or leave the area for some time, I wouldn't necessarily pre-pack. I'd make a list and post it somewhere where it can always be found, like an unobtrusive spot on the fridge. I'd make sure that my stuff was organized in such a way that I could pack quickly and efficiently and be out the door in under 15 minutes. My packing cubes are stored next to my clothes. My travel toiletries live full-time in a 3DCOC. My sleeping bag is next to my A45 on my closet shelf, above a folding dog crate. Assorted snack bars are in a basket in my kitchen, above a case of bottled water and next to my shop bags. There's a stuff sack with sample dog foods and treats hanging next to my dogs' leashes. With a comprehensive list, evacuation can be easy. Drop the sleeping bag and a cube of clothing into the A45. Toss in the crossbody bag, the toiletries bag, the bag of dog food, and a shop bag with some snacks and a few bottles of water. Put the backpack on, dogs on their leashes, snag your EDC and the dog crate, and get out.

Let’s all be honest with ourselves nobody knows how bad the SHTF 💩 is going to be, if it’s global nuclear then the old saying about putting your head between your legs and kissing your … goodbye will very well apply.
Can you say back to the Stone Age?
We all need to pray that doesn’t happen.
Directional or pin point EMP? Then limited loss of life but back to horse and buggy and no more Starbucks. 😬
Can we return from an EMP? I honestly don’t know.
What about a global weather catastrophe?
Another ice age?
We can’t deny the weather is changing.
We are treating this earth like it will last forever however like life nothing is forever.
Humans are nothing more than highly evolved animals and we like to believe we are at the top of the food chain.
We aren’t and please prove me wrong.
Every human on earth needs to be part of a positive solution not the problem but that won’t happen until we ALL start working together as one.
I’ll get off my soap box now.

Back