testtest

Got my CCW today..!

Old_Me

Ronin
yay me,

after at least 18 months of range time, buying guns, ammo, taking a class of CCW laws, and some safety training, today i went to the police dept, and picked up my first time ever, CCW permit.

to be honest, when i first started going to the range, i did ask many of the RSO's if they carried, and thier thoughts. i really wasn't too sure if i even wanted to get a CCW.

but, honestly, i had a retired cop that knows me, and the family say, "i think you should get one, with the way things are these days"

so i kept practicing and practicing, to where i can blow out the center of the targets, with a .45 ACP, and get good groupings with any of my 9MM's, and even my .380, and .22LR...!!

i am not a "natural" shooter, like some or you may be. it took me time to get better and better.

now however, i have an issue.

i told my doctor of my sport/hobby. i had a blood test for lead.

it is elevated.

so i gotta cut back on the range visits, to maybe only once per week, rather than 3 or 4 times...

so it was a great news for me day...and then a not so great as well........

so i'll wear a mask, like we all have been of late, and i'll most likely have to wear latex gloves as well, for the lead to ooze out of me.

I'd say that the range needs more ventilation.

Doubt a mask will stop the lead but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Do you wash your hands before you leave the range?
Ours has a heavy metals removing hand soap they encourage all to use before exit.
yes, i use my own hand wipes, but they are not lead removers, and then i use thier actual lead removing lead wipes.

but i cannot honestly say that i have done this every single time. as many times, i was rushed to get out and get home, for other business.

i also sweep up my brass. they have a dry mop, not straw brooms. then of course, i use a dust pan to pick that up. once i get home, i open up the bag, and dump out the shell casings to be sorted out.

now however, not being able to get a press, dies, etc, i am only saving my brass to exchange for more pre-reloaded ammo from a store.

Congratulations. Maybe there is an outdoor range you could visit not far away.
i am new member of a state owned out door range. but i had only been there one time, for "orientation of the rules"

i just had not had the time to drive down there since then.

now i see, where i'll have to.

i want to stay in practice, so it's gotta be done.

so i can "see" i gotta make some important changes.

my doctor emailed me, and said, in the fall, he will test my blood again, to see what the levels are, and if what i am doing made any differences.

Congrats on your CCW, personally I wouldn’t stress out on the lead issue, I have been around, casted bullets, used and chewed on lead sinkers for years, (60 years old now) I was tested but never gave to much a thought on it. I usually shoot at my outdoor range, only few times on the other indoor range, doesn’t hurt to be cautious, but don’t spass out, main thing is clean your hands real good before you eat anything after shooting.

Congrats on your CCW, personally I wouldn’t stress out on the lead issue, I have been around, casted bullets, used and chewed on lead sinkers for years, (60 years old now) I was tested but never gave to much a thought on it. I usually shoot at my outdoor range, only few times on the other indoor range, doesn’t hurt to be cautious, but don’t spass out, main thing is clean your hands real good before you eat anything after shooting.
"(60 years old now)"
Keeping in mind, those are in Martian years? Multiplied by how many Earthling years? Ahh, just a kid! At least another 60 to go before middle age! :)

yay me,

after at least 18 months of range time, buying guns, ammo, taking a class of CCW laws, and some safety training, today i went to the police dept, and picked up my first time ever, CCW permit.

to be honest, when i first started going to the range, i did ask many of the RSO's if they carried, and thier thoughts. i really wasn't too sure if i even wanted to get a CCW.

but, honestly, i had a retired cop that knows me, and the family say, "i think you should get one, with the way things are these days"

so i kept practicing and practicing, to where i can blow out the center of the targets, with a .45 ACP, and get good groupings with any of my 9MM's, and even my .380, and .22LR...!!

i am not a "natural" shooter, like some or you may be. it took me time to get better and better.

now however, i have an issue.

i told my doctor of my sport/hobby. i had a blood test for lead.

it is elevated.

so i gotta cut back on the range visits, to maybe only once per week, rather than 3 or 4 times...

so it was a great news for me day...and then a not so great as well........

so i'll wear a mask, like we all have been of late, and i'll most likely have to wear latex gloves as well, for the lead to ooze out of me.
Congratulations!

I would immediately fire any doctor who asked me if I owned a gun.

Not saying that's what happened with the OP, just sayin'.
My new doctor’s assistant asked me about gun ownership when I first went to him, told her this question has nothing to do with me coming here to see him, and if she kept pressing the issue I would leave and find another doctor and is basically none of your business if I owned firearms or not, needless to say, I now have a different doctor.

Congratulations on the CCW! When you first start carrying you feel like everyone notices, but the truth is no one notices.

As for the lead, that can be a serious issue because it can cause cognitive issues. It probably wouldn’t hurt to get it checked again. I shout at two different indoor ranges each week and one has noticeable poorer ventilation. Is shooting outside an option for you? Perhaps mix it up. Also, one range I shoot at has deleted soap and the other doesn’t. I keep a big bottle of de-lead sip at home and wash my hands, arms and face pretty vigorously when I get home.

I believe one of the side effects of lead poisoning is a lack of impulse control so if you can’t stop buying more guns this probably why. That. could be your get out of jail free card with your better half. 😇

Have fun, but watch your health.

Being in a small town and my family doc graduated from the same town I did........His parents like me a lot and they're country folk also. He (doc) likes guns too! So not an issue for me! Can't get these kind of people anywhere, except in a small town!

Old me, sounds like you are doing it right!

My department had an indoor range on site. Our officers shot a lot. Lead contamination is a real problem, especially in the older ranges where the positive air pressure and filters are inefficient. Housekeeping practices are important as well. Our instructors got regular lead tests and if it reached a certain point they were off the range for a period of time. I teach a class in a civilian indoor range once a year but honestly I would rather be outdoors, I realize not everyone has the option.

I'd say that the range needs more ventilation.

Doubt a mask will stop the lead but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Do you wash your hands before you leave the range?
Ours has a heavy metals removing hand soap they encourage all to use before exit.
i do know that the range filters get changed. i have a very difficult time, opening the door, to get out or get in, that suction is incredible, and at my age, i need a "Hulk" to open it for me.

If your doctor is like my doctor I'd get a second opinion! Many doctors are not gun enthusiasts.

i actually asked my doctor at my last visit, a couple of weeks ago.

i kinda led (no pun) up to the question of lead in my blood, then he looked at me, and then i said, that i am involved in this sport. he right away said he has "many" patients that are shooters, and they too go thru lead testing.

he's really a cool doctor.

he never said anything about not shooting anymore, just that he will recommend some things to "get the lead out".

Congratulations on the CCW! When you first start carrying you feel like everyone notices, but the truth is no one notices.

As for the lead, that can be a serious issue because it can cause cognitive issues. It probably wouldn’t hurt to get it checked again. I shout at two different indoor ranges each week and one has noticeable poorer ventilation. Is shooting outside an option for you? Perhaps mix it up. Also, one range I shoot at has deleted soap and the other doesn’t. I keep a big bottle of de-lead sip at home and wash my hands, arms and face pretty vigorously when I get home.

I believe one of the side effects of lead poisoning is a lack of impulse control so if you can’t stop buying more guns this probably why. That. could be your get out of jail free card with your better half. 😇

Have fun, but watch your health.
thanks...yes, one of the side effects of lead poisoning, buying more guns..i... am now only up to....22.

i am a member of a state owned out door range, and i'm gonna start going, as early as next week, if it does not rain.

i carry "wipes", but they are not lead wipes. the range has that, before we leave.

and fun is job #1.....!!!!

i emailed my doctor this morning to my portal. his assistant got back to me.

my lead level is 27

here is what i found on a google search:

In adults, lead blood levels up to 10 mcg/dL are considered normal. Anywhere from 10 to 25 mcg/dL is a sign that you're regularly exposed to lead. At 80 mcg/dL, you should consider treatment.Feb 10, 2021

so as i may have said, i do own a very old house, built in 1860

in september of 2019, i had the main lead water pipe, from the street into my house, replaced with copper.

it was done for a minimal cost thru my water company, with federal funding, that i paid back, already

soooooo.........i have to figure there are still lead pipes in this house, that and the shooting range, i can see the lead in my body increasing.

i emailed my doctor this morning to my portal. his assistant got back to me.

my lead level is 27

here is what i found on a google search:

In adults, lead blood levels up to 10 mcg/dL are considered normal. Anywhere from 10 to 25 mcg/dL is a sign that you're regularly exposed to lead. At 80 mcg/dL, you should consider treatment.Feb 10, 2021

so as i may have said, i do own a very old house, built in 1860

in September of 2019, i had the main lead water pipe, from the street into my house, replaced with copper.

it was done for a minimal cost thru my water company, with federal funding, that i paid back, already

soooooo.........i have to figure there are still lead pipes in this house, that and the shooting range, i can see the lead in my body increasing.
There are water tests you can have done on your tap water to test for lead and other contaminates. Usually a kit supplied by local health department and sometimes colleges. Health department should know who to contact in your area if they don't offer the service themselves. A water filtration system may help too. Lead poisoning can be some nasty stuff, can effect the brain. Imitates calcium in body effects bone growth if remember right. Is worse to kids than adults.

On older buildings and lead pipes, generally speaking just service lines are or can be lead or galvanized iron pipe. Water supply plumbing inside older homes around that period were generally galvanized with the exception of some lead drains unless replaced already. Most drains were cast iron. Lead toilet elbows were pretty common though, sometimes lead vent pipes or stacks too. Older copper pipes with joints sweated in place used lead based solder too. Newer solder is lead free. But, you're likely familiar with all that stuff by now? Older homes are a learning experience.

Back