testtest

Gotta ask, any squirrel hunters here

Aint but one thing more fun than squirrel hunting and you have to take your clothes off for that. First two pics were this memorial day opening week end, all from the same old mulberry tree. A couple years back I shot twenty seven squirrels from this same tree in a three day period.
003 (22).JPG
011 (10).JPG
002 (19).JPG
011 (4).JPG
003 (21).JPG

I could limit out in my back yard every day. Alas, I don't eat squirrel so I don't kill them. I feed them. The pair in the fork of the hickory tree behind my shop had a litter a month or so ago. Now I got a pile of little babies hanging around under my bird feeders. :)

yeah, i was going to ask the same thing.

i do know of someone, who he and his wife used to go squirrel hunting, and they indeed did eat'em up too.

i just cannot bring myself to eating a rat with a fluffy tail.

even if, "it tastes like chicken".........:ROFLMAO:
It does NOT taste like chicken. I've had more than one person tell me, " You just haven't had it cooked the right way". I've had it every conceivable way and I simply don't like it. Same with Duck. I also don't care for elk or pheasant, but I will eat the F out of deer and quail.

Aint but one thing more fun than squirrel hunting and you have to take your clothes off for that. First two pics were this memorial day opening week end, all from the same old mulberry tree. A couple years back I shot twenty seven squirrels from this same tree in a three day period.View attachment 28265View attachment 28266View attachment 28267View attachment 28268View attachment 28269
Outstanding. Looks like most if not all are head shots. Great shooting and saves the meat.

What do you do with all those tree rats! Do you eat them?
I grew up eating wild game. I have eaten a lot of Squirrel meat and loved every bite. My mom and dad did this and I carried on as a hunter. When something was killed , Squirrel , Quail , Rabbit , Dove .... etc. , it was cleaned and then put in a bowl of salt water and placed in the fridg over night. It was then wrapped and put in the freezer or cooked for the evening meal.

I would love a meal of fried Squirrel , mashed potatoes , and gravey .

I grew up eating wild game. I have eaten a lot of Squirrel meat and loved every bite. My mom and dad did this and I carried on as a hunter. When something was killed , Squirrel , Quail , Rabbit , Dove .... etc. , it was cleaned and then put in a bowl of salt water and placed in the fridg over night. It was then wrapped and put in the freezer or cooked for the evening meal.

I would love a meal of fried Squirrel , mashed potatoes , and gravey .

“You ain’t gonna be gettin’ no nouveau almandine, thin crust, bottled water, sautéed city food. Foods brown, hot and plenty of it.”
– Cookie, City Slickers 1991
07667F92-F8A6-4C53-BB07-C23720171925.jpeg

Back sometime ago, maybe a year or two, there was a thread about some of our favorite hunts. I wrote that one of my all-time favorites was an early morning squirrel hunt, slipping through the damp woods with a small caliber rifle. Catching just a flash of movement from the corner of your eye as one jumps to hide behind a tree limb, or the back side of the trunk. Bringing home several for supper that night where mama, and later the wife would pan fry them in a cast iron skillet, then smother them to simmer in rich, dark, brown gravy to later be spooned over a 'cowboy' hat full of fluffy white rice. Uhmmm, uhmmm! I felt then as now, the squirrel is either the smallest big game, or the biggest small game I ever hunted.

BTW, the second of my two favorite hunts is quail hunting in the mid morning out in some wide open fields/pastures over two finely trained Brittanies. You seeing only a quick flash of white from time to time as one of them jumps high enough over the pasture grass to look back to see you and to ensure you have seen them. Then one alternately backing the other as they lock up on a point so pure and deliberate it made a grown man realize there's got to be something much bigger than himself in the universe.

Yeh, I'll take either of those hunts anytime .................... !!!

Back