testtest

Granddaddy's gun

I'll be getting an heirloom piece this week from my grandfather's widow and I don't necessarily want to take it to the range but I do want to clean it up properly and put it on display in my home. I'd like some suggestions on tasteful mounting ideas. This was originally my great grandfather's and I'll be do a lot of research on it when it finally comes home

I'll be getting an heirloom piece this week from my grandfather's widow and I don't necessarily want to take it to the range but I do want to clean it up properly and put it on display in my home. I'd like some suggestions on tasteful mounting ideas. This was originally my great grandfather's and I'll be do a lot of research on it when it finally comes home
And…. What are you getting?

Forgot to add it's a shotgun but I don't know any other details

I've spent an inordinate amount of time over the last year dreaming up designs for shotgun displays. However I have limited all my meandering to displays no one can find or see unless I let them or I screw up in some magnanimous way.

For an heirloom display and something you aren't going to shoot, much less need immediate access to while denying anyone else access to it, I think I would try to pick some qualities that your grandfather would appreciate and relate to. You know, what kind of guy was he, how did he spend his time, what did he use the shotgun for, what sort of material would have been something familiar to him, etc.. Incorporate things that remind you of him into the design. The possibilities are limitless.

Do you have any specific parameters in mind ?

My dad used to make wall racks for Hawken rifles using oak 1x10s with two 1 1/2" dowels to hold the gun and then he would carve scenes on either side on the bottom and smaller dowels to hold a powder horn and other paraphenalia.

A few months ago I helped an elderly neighbor of my sister's after some crazy ass flash flooding. I had to remediate some issues with basement window wells and gutters. Of course I refused to take any money for the work, but the lady brought up this stand that her recently deceased husband had made for all of his black powder rifles. It's got a round bottom with strategically placed U shaped blocking to hold the butt stock and a round upper support with corresponding cuts to hold the barrels. It's actually pretty cool. It's not actually something I will utilize so it's out in my shop, for lack of a better storage solution. If something like that interests you I could snap a picture later ?

What an honor to be entrusted with an heirloom like that!

While reading through this thread, and thinking about the world we live in, not to mention fires, floods, etc. I had a thought that maybe instead of displaying the physical shotgun, you could get a really high quality, large picture, a nice shadow box for accessories, etc, and display that, keeping the real thing safe somewhere and only showing it to those who would appreciate it. You could even incorporate some type of lighting to make it really beautiful.

Just an idea. I know you would be crushed if something happened to the real thing while in you care.

Shotgun lamp:

4D84068B-16BD-43AC-8A28-5EDAF4662B51.jpeg

What an honor to be entrusted with an heirloom like that!

While reading through this thread, and thinking about the world we live in, not to mention fires, floods, etc. I had a thought that maybe instead of displaying the physical shotgun, you could get a really high quality, large picture, a nice shadow box for accessories, etc, and display that, keeping the real thing safe somewhere and only showing it to those who would appreciate it. You could even incorporate some type of lighting to make it really beautiful.

Just an idea. I know you would be crushed if something happened to the real thing while in you care.
Sounds interesting. A nice print with physical accessories added if I understand correctly.

I'll be posting pictures tonight but I came back with 2 of the 3 guns. His widow could not find the shotgun but did find a modern savage chambered for . 30-06 and a scoped .22 Remington 513 with a scope from what looks like the 40s.

Last edited:
From my very brief research that model was built from 1940-1968. My great grandparents were killed in 1956 in a car accident and my great grandfather had it long before then. I'll be hunting with it as soon as I can. I'll have to find magazines for it too

Well, she (my grandad's widow) found the shotgun. It was hiding in a closet. As I understand it my great grandfather did the engraving. It's an Ithaca 37 20 ga. Not sure of the year but I know it's an old piece. View attachment 33231View attachment 33230
It's a beaut. I have one just like it except no engraving. My father bought it for his father to quail hunt with in the 70s. Granddad had been using a heavy, bolt action 16 gauge. Which I also have.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion. Do not reblue this or in any permanent way attempt to restore it. Get and keep the rust off it and let it be. It's perfect as it is.

It's a beaut. I have one just like it except no engraving. My father bought it for his father to quail hunt with in the 70s. Granddad had been using a heavy, bolt action 16 gauge. Which I also have.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion. Do not reblue this or in any permanent way attempt to restore it. Get and keep the rust off it and let it be. It's perfect as it is.
That's my intention with this shotgun and the little Remington 513 (.22lr) Match Master. I may refinish the stock as there are some rough spots but I'm going to do A LOT of research and CLEARLY understand how to do it properly before I do ANYTHING other than basic maintenance.

I just got done cleaning the little 22 and it needed it. For a gun born in the 40s it's in amazing shape

Back