testtest

Grip loosening on Springfield 1911

neil0311

Master Class
Have only shot 300 rounds through my DYL Mil Spec 1911. Love the gun, but the grips seem to be loosening a little.

What do folks recommend? Should I remove them and put blue Loctite on the screws and retighten? Or just tighten up as is without removing?

I use a torque wrench/driver, so what is the recommended torque level to tighten to?

Sometimes you can use an o ring with good results. There's plenty of on-line discussion about this subject. Most of the large gun supply places (Brownells & Midway) sell these

These work great, my Sig 1911 came with them installed from the factory, no issues of panels coming loose.

Maybe this can help.

Attachments

• 4DB57DE9-A41C-4A90-AA9D-9ADC6D6CA311.jpeg
    4DB57DE9-A41C-4A90-AA9D-9ADC6D6CA311.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 151
I use Vibra-Tite. It is re-usable, in other words you can loosen the screws and re-torque them without cleaning and redressing the screw, up to 4 times. No heating etc.
20210902_220427.jpg

VC-3 for screws and Hot Lock for brakes etc.
I find it best to order the small single use packs, The small bottle of VC-3 above has to go ground with a haz-mat fee and while it will prolly do a 1000 guns it has a shelf life.

With that being said i would always try o-rings 1st.
Ten "INCH" lbs, 12 max. depending on what grips are made of.

I use this for torquing on guns. Its small, much easier to control then a fat wrench, especially if you are working with a slotted screw. This one goes up to 25 in lbs. I have em up to 65 inch lbs.
20210902_224123.jpg

A good kit is a must, not the pre put together "gunsmith" kits either. Ever notice how you dont ever use half the bits in the kit?
I pieced this one together over the years and its served me well.
20210807_020403 1.jpg

Thats all I got.

I use Vibra-Tite. It is re-usable, in other words you can loosen the screws and re-torque them without cleaning and redressing the screw, up to 4 times. No heating etc.
View attachment 21227

I find it best to order the small single use packs, The small bottle of VC-3 above has to go ground with a haz-mat fee and while it will prolly do a 1000 guns it has a shelf life.

I use this for torquing on guns. Its small, much easier to control then a fat wrench, especially if you are working with a slotted screw. This one goes up to 25 in lbs. I have em up to 65 inch lbs.
View attachment 21228

A good kit is a must, not the pre put together "gunsmith" kits either. Ever notice how you dont ever use half the bits in the kit?
View attachment 21229

Thats all I got.
Nice kit you have assembled.

View attachment 21227

View attachment 21228

View attachment 21229

Thats all I got.
Thanks HI, Good info and tips.
Agree on O rings, least possible damage or issues. Understandable on tools. Right tool on hand makes life much easier. Hadn't heard of either of those thread lockers before. Good to know.

Have only shot 300 rounds through my DYL Mil Spec 1911. Love the gun, but the grips seem to be loosening a little.

What do folks recommend? Should I remove them and put blue Loctite on the screws and retighten? Or just tighten up as is without removing?

I use a torque wrench/driver, so what is the recommended torque level to tighten to?
I have an arc welder you may borrow......................

Back