testtest

Handgun Break-In, Is It Needed?

I do a break in on my ccw gun to make sure it functions fine, usually 300-500 rounds. I mean, if your life is depending on it and you never shot it much, then it jams or worse a breakage at the time you need it, then, in my opinion, why are you even carrying it.

Here is my opinion for what it's worth.
The only way I could ever see 500 round break-in is for a custom super tight hand fitted a 1911.
With a new firearm I completely clean and lube, I'm old school I run my semi's wet.
I will take to the range, set the sights and run a few mags with carry ammo.
If there is no issues I consider it good to go, my experience with malfunctions have been with ammo and always use OEM mags.
What if the magic number is 501 and something happens, anything man made can malfunction we can only hope for the best and train for the worst.
There is no one that can say after 500 rounds nothing will ever happen.
Again this is my opinion.

With a revolver I don't get to excited but with any pistol I shoot at least 300 rounds with no stoppages before I even consider it good to go. I will then put at least 200 rounds of my carry ammo through it with the same requirements before it goes for a walk with me out in public.

With a new handgun I will always break it down, clean and oil it. I usually run at least 100 rounds of ball ammo through of it followed by “sighting” in my carry ammo. By that I will have 3+ different brands of carry ammo I will shoot and whichever groups the best at 25yrds. will be my carry load for that specific pistol. As I have said in the other thread, with all the ammo choices we have, HST might group excellent out of one fun and Gold Dots may group excellent out of another gun although they, to me, are both great rounds.

Here is my opinion for what it's worth.
The only way I could ever see 500 round break-in is for a custom super tight hand fitted a 1911.
With a new firearm I completely clean and lube, I'm old school I run my semi's wet.
I will take to the range, set the sights and run a few mags with carry ammo.
If there is no issues I consider it good to go, my experience with malfunctions have been with ammo and always use OEM mags.
What if the magic number is 501 and something happens, anything man made can malfunction we can only hope for the best and train for the worst.
There is no one that can say after 500 rounds nothing will ever happen.
Again this is my opinion.
"...What if the magic number is 501 and something happens, anything man made can malfunction we can only hope for the best and train for the worst.
There is no one that can say after 500 rounds nothing will ever happen."

Ditto. 👍

I’m not a big advocate of “over” oiling your pistol. Your sidearm/handgun should not be dripping with oil. I know it’s been mentioned about following your manual and it, at least mine say, or show minimal oil. You especially don’t want oil in the striker/firing pin channel.

If usually run a couple hundred rounds through a new auto before I’ll trust it for carry; always clean and relube before the first outing. After a couple hundred rounds of blaster, I’ll run a mag of various carry loads and see what it likes best...usually against a timed drill so I’ve got a equal baseline. When I decide which defensive load I like, I’ll run a couple more mags worth out if each mag I’m going to use for carry/defense.

I light lube pretty much everything—grease & oil.

Revolvers—a couple cylinders of range fodder to check function & reliability, a few different loads to see what it likes as far as accuracy and control...good to go.

I read the manual for any new handgun. Then I run a at least 100 to 200 round through it before I carry it as EDC. As far as lubing it I was taught especially on Glocks that you use as little lube as possible. I am taking just a few drops. On Sigs I always put one drop of lithium grease on each rail, one drop where barrel rides in slide and one drop on where hammer pivots. This has worked well for me over the years. Just my 2 cents. 😁

Back