testtest

Handgun Training session- Shoot n Move - Range report

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Well, I wont get all advanced @BassCliff blow by blow with pics on you, (we couldnt take pics), but @SimonRL and I took a good class yesterday.

Advanced Handgun:
- holster draw
-shoot n move
- shoot from behind barricades
- shoot and move and use concealment

Class was really a great refresher. Been awhile since Covid to go to a small training group.
Four folks. The two of us and 2 other folks.
Needed couple hundred rounds and 3 mags. (Sorry Canik owners, you’ll have to borrow a Sig, HK or even a lowly Glock with more mags😝)

Started off with holster draw and times sessions. I got to a 1.57 sec on target but I know I’m really rusty. Was actually lower at 1.52 but I put that round smidge off center circle and he didnt count it. Would have struck the perp though 🧐

Moved on to shooting from behind concealment and “angles” of minimizing your silhouette on 4 targets at once. Duck n cover, reload under concealment, high and low angle shooting. Prone on back shooting, etc.

For the final, it was fire under stress, multiple reloads, from concealment/barricades, at multiple targets that the insteuctor yelled at you as you were to engage. Such as 3 rounds target circle #3, 2 rounds head, 1 chest, shoot at target 3+2 twice ( equals 2 shots to target #5).
All this time during final shoot, instructor played loud rock music, banged a stick loudly on the concrete at your feet, yelled at you from behind and banged on a barrel. If you missed, he yelled “miss” and you had to engage until you hit. You would misque his instructions and be all “WTF did he yell… “

So much stress. So much fun !!!

Learned a lot of skills I need to hone again from this session.
Shot 1-3” groups holster draw.
Shot 5-10” groups on the move and odd angles and stress shoot.
Would shoot and miss by 2” and be WTF..

Relax, recalibrate and redo. But quickly, thats a perp w a gun(target) 😏

I could do that stress shoot all night. That was a lot of fun and eye open on skills needed and deficiencies.

Edit: I had a Fail to feed during stress reload. Mag didn't work. Reload and move on. “Click” he put a empty mag back on my belt. Natural reload grab from waist and it was empty. Nice trick !!! Had to shoot, conceal, work thru it and shoot on. Really eye opener under duress.

6BD04BBC-1533-4368-8B03-267C769A555A.jpeg

Well, I wont get all advanced @BassCliff blow by blow with pics on you, (we couldnt take pics), but @SimonRL and I took a good class yesterday.

Advanced Handgun:
- holster draw
-shoot n move

Class was really a great refresher. Been awhile since Covid to go to a small training group.
Needed couple hundred rounds and 3 mags. (Sorry Canik owners, you’ll have to borrow a Sig, HK or even a lowly Glock with more mags😝)

Started off with holster draw and times sessions. I got to a 1.57 sec on target but I know I’m really rusty. Was actually lower at 1.52 but I put that round smidge off center circle and he didnt count it. Would have struck the perp though 🧐

Moved on to shooting from behind concealment and “angles” of minimizing your silhouette on 4 targets at once. Duck n cover, reload under concealment, high and low angle shooting. Prone on back shooting, etc.

For the final, it was fire under stress, multiple reloads, from concealment/barricades, at multiple targets that the insteuctor yelled at you as you were to engage. Such as 3 rounds target circle #3, 2 rounds head, 1 chest, shoot at target 3+2 twice ( equals 2 shots to target #5).
All this time during final shoot, instructor played loud rock music, banged a stick loudly on the concrete at your feet, yelled at you from behind and banged on a barrel. If you missed, he yelled “miss” and you had to engage until you hit. You would misque his instructions and be all “WTF did he yell… “

I could do that stress shoot all night. That was a lot of fun and eye open on skills needed and deficiencies.

Edit: I had a Fail to feed during stress reload. Mag didn't work. Reload and move on. “Click” he put a empty mag back on my belt. Natural reload grab from waist and it was empty. Nice trick !!! Had to shoot, conceal, work thru it and shoot on. Really eye opener under duress.

View attachment 26836
Totally awesome. I need a training center like that around my area or maybe I’ll just move to Texas.

Advanced Handgun:
- holster draw
-shoot n move

View attachment 26836
8F9C3EE4-A129-477D-B46E-18A1434D77DD.gif

What class is this between @KillerFord1977 and @SimonRL ……slap ya silly class?……..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advanced Handgun:
- holster draw
-shoot n move

View attachment 26836
Seriously, sounds like a good class

Sounds great. Funny. I was in class last night too. The final class of a 3 part advanced handgun training. Tons of fun and definitely got us out of our comfort levels. A good kind of stress.
Last night was a building on moving and shooting, draw from holster, controlled fire at the "bad guy" (leaving the friendly unharmed) on multiple targets with mag changes in between. Some of it was timed, some of it wasn't. All real good stuff. Going to let it soak in for a few weeks and practice then start the 3 part expert training in early summer.
People who buy a gun for protection, go to the range once, then keep that gun idle at their bedside are really missing out. Everybody there last night left with a smile on their face, more confident in their abilities, and a little more knowledge in their heads. Can't go wrong with learning and having some fun.

I would have to drive about 70 miles 1 way for a class like that sad to say, that's the bad part about living in the sticks. About to have a new indoor range within 25 miles, the first since Hurricane Katrina destroyed the last one in 2005. I shoot regularly at home, one of the good parts about living in the sticks. I do some training on my own or with my dad after watching video courses online. It helps but you don't get instructor corrections/challenges which would be very nice.

I would have to drive about 70 miles 1 way for a class like that sad to say, that's the bad part about living in the sticks. About to have a new indoor range within 25 miles, the first since Hurricane Katrina destroyed the last one in 2005. I shoot regularly at home, one of the good parts about living in the sticks. I do some training on my own or with my dad after watching video courses online. It helps but you don't get instructor corrections/challenges which would be very nice.
My next (and last house) will have a small outdoor range… hopefully.

I drive 62 miles each way about 3 - 4 times a month for the instruction that I can't get locally. At this point in our "world history," it's worth it to me both in time and gas money.

Wondering if the instructor might be willing to travel to you if you provide enough interested like-minded students? Hmmm, maybe I should do the same with mine!🤔

Back