testtest

Handloading for the .338 Lapua

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
What powders have worked best for you handloading .338 Lapua? I just ordered a rifle and plan to start ordering components as I can find them.

I haven't loaded any yet, but powder will vary on bullet weight. I have n570, lrt, magnum, 7828ssc, h1000, rl25, retumbo and magpro which should cover 250 to 300 grain.

RL33, rl25, imr8133 and us869 could be more possible usage? I haven't seen any 780supreme or h870. Not sure if any have been for sale in years!

The Savage Elite Precision. I looked at Ruger and Christensen but I got a good recommendation from TEXASforLIFE that started pushing me that way. I finally got to handle the Savage and like it. The Ruger was tied with Christensen for second. I found a bunch of large rifle magnum primers last night and a source for several powders. I'm now trying to decide if I buy several boxes of good loaded ammunition and reuse the brass after the sight in and break in or if I suck it up and drop $300+ on 100 Lapua cases and start from scratch. Itll be expensive either way: $3+ per case, 75-90 grains of powder, and $0.60+ per bullet but that's still a lot cheaper than the $6+ per for good loaded ammunition. And the cost per round drops quick with each subsequent handload.

As you may remember, I have the RPR 338, and I have looked into, and am interested in the Christensen (I have 2 of their rifles and really like them). Yeah, I hear you about the price of ammo. When I bought the RPR, I bought 2 boxes and they were going for $3.75 - $4, per cartridge back about a year or so before this pandemic (with these prices, I need to get into reloading for sure).
Good luck with the Savage, let us know what you think of it after taking it through its paces (hopefully at longer range than that's currently available for me).

As you may remember, I have the RPR 338, and I have looked into, and am interested in the Christensen (I have 2 of their rifles and really like them). Yeah, I hear you about the price of ammo. When I bought the RPR, I bought 2 boxes and they were going for $3.75 - $4, per cartridge back about a year or so before this pandemic (with these prices, I need to get into reloading for sure).
Good luck with the Savage, let us know what you think of it after taking it through its paces (hopefully at longer range than that's currently available for me).
That's part of why I was initially sold on the RPR, and there's still a lot I dig about it. The factory blueprinted action and the 30 inch barrel, along with that killer chassis, sold me on the Savage. Now to find the proper optics for it! I can't imagine I'm going to need anything more than the 70 MOA elevation adjustments I see in some non-Nightforce optics with that rifle, even if I do go the the 2000 yard range in Grand Junction next time I swing out Colorado way to go to my friend's cabin.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I have a 1250 yard range at which to go play around. It's a 3 hour drive, unlike the 500 yard range which is just over one hour, but for some decent longer range shots It'll be worth it a couple times a year.

Great enjoy. I went with the NightForce SHV 5-20x56 Scope with an Atlas Bi-pod. The NF scope was a lower price alternative than their NXS and ATACR models I looked at, but was about as expensive (even on sale at Optics Planet) versues the rifle. I quickly found out just how expense PRS can be, and I'm at the cheaper end ;)

Great enjoy. I went with the NightForce SHV 5-20x56 Scope with an Atlas Bi-pod. The NF scope was a lower price alternative than their NXS and ATACR models I looked at, but was about as expensive (even on sale at Optics Planet) versues the rifle. I quickly found out just how expense PRS can be, and I'm at the cheaper end ;)
What is the twist on the Ruger?

Last edited:
Most 33cal bullets will stabilize with 10 twist, but some of the 300+ needs a 9. The Savage 338lm stealth (24") has the 9.25, but some (I think) had the 10. 1 reason I didn't buy the 300wm precision was due too the 30" barrel had a 10 twist. To spend $1,600+ and then replace the barrel for a faster twist I decided not to buy. Here's what happened. I buy parts then build what exactly I want. 2 Savage 110 lam receivers for a 30" cf 9 twist and a 32" 264wm 7.5twist. Problem solved!

Attachments

• 20211109_020529.jpg
    20211109_020529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Can the rail on the 110 Elite Precision be swapped out? I still think having 55 minutes of adjustment to play with on my optics will be plenty at 1250 but maybe not if/when I go to someplace twice that long.

Can the rail on the 110 Elite Precision be swapped out? I still think having 55 minutes of adjustment to play with on my optics will be plenty at 1250 but maybe not if/when I go to someplace twice that long.
It can be, but most likely be made from another company. I'm sure it being a 110 that it's the same as rail I have.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-savage-round-back-long-action-picatinny-rail-30-moa
https://www.opticsplanet.com/evolut...scope-mount.html?_iv_code=KK-T8-HDSAVRB-80334

I was on quick target and did some 30" barrel test for a SMK250. Velocity compared to some IWI I have will be a extra 150fps total 3,010fps and me at 5,025. Drop if sighted in at 1,250 yards should be at 507.5". At 1,250 velocity 1,410 and energy 1,104. Point blank range at 247 yards with center bore to center of scope @ 1.969". Optimal sight-in at 214 yards. Time of flight 1.8215 seconds. Hope that helps!

Back