testtest

Has anyone had any experience with Ammo Squared?

michael.ed

Master Class
Founding Member
I have set up an account with a company called Ammo Squared, and am contemplating my first crate. You set your monthly amount you want to pay, ammo caliber and shipping preferences. Then when your ammo supply reaches your shipping preference, they ship it to you. Their cost per round looks pretty good. Any experiences you want to share will be greatly appreciated. Here is the link to their website.

I have set up an account with a company called Ammo Squared, and am contemplating my first crate. You set your monthly amount you want to pay, ammo caliber and shipping preferences. Then when your ammo supply reaches your shipping preference, they ship it to you. Their cost per round looks pretty good. Any experiences you want to share will be greatly appreciated. Here is the link to their website.

Never heard of them 🤔🤔
Edit: no new subscriptions available now. Said no new members temporarily.

I got an invite a while back and passed at the time. I had good sources of ammo.

May have been a mistake in retrospect.

I personally think it is a great idea, and a great way to accumulate ammo. I haven’t created my first crate because I got my reloading going. I may use them to accumulate defensive ammo. Probably will.

I signed up for a subscription with Ammo Squared 5 months ago. They listed several calibers of ammunition that were difficult to find locally. I started cautiously at $50 per month, for one caliber. I set the shipment trigger at $250 which meant free shipping. For 4 months they charged my cc, and I watched my crate slowly build. Yesterday they sent me an email to inform me that they were cancelling a number of SKUs. Of course my caliber in the crate was among them. I could top off my partial box and request shipment, or I could sell it back to them. I topped off the partial box and requested shipment. It cost less than $50 to top of the partial box, so now I had to pay shipping. The ammo I purchased to top of my partial box, and the cost of shipping was well over $50, the amount that should have triggered free shipping. I think that is pretty poor. I checked the calibers that were were listed as available and every single caliber that I was interested in, had been cancelled. If you want 5.56 or 9mm you are all set, but I can purchase all I want at a comparable price, at the local hardware store or online. I cancelled my account. For what it is worth, I had a similar experience with the Federal subscription service. I signed up for monthly deliveries of 9mm ball. They shipped me a case for one month, and then ended the service without notice. It took me 6 phone calls to the company to find that out. The subscription services seem like a good idea, but in practice I think they are poorly executed.

Remember, vendors are not in business to save you money, they are in business to make money.

Natchez and a few others have "Member's clubs" where you pay $100 a year and you get free shipping. That can be a good deal considering that unless you catch it when they are running a free shipping over x amount sale it's going to cost you about $18 shipping whether it's one box of ammo or 10 boxes of ammo. And Natchez ( and others) do sometimes have certain stuff on sale at good prices. For example Federal Force X 2 can occasionally be found on Natchez for $13/box. It's $26 everywhere else. Unless you are a "Club member" that $13 box of shells is going to cost you $18 shipping. You can get 124 gr. Blazer Brass for $12/box right now if you buy 20 or more boxes.

These days I mostly make the rounds at LGS on the weekends and get the majority of my stuff in person. With cash.

Buying online only seems to work out if it's large bulk and they are offering free shipping, otherwise it's cheaper to buy in stores. Although I quit the part time Academy gig back in June, I still hit up a few friends I made there and will ask them to buy me some in bulk with their discount.

Make a friend who works the gun bar at Academy (if ya got one near you) is my suggestion. Talk some shop and if you click, ask em to go to the range one day. Boom. New friend and 20% off all your ammo.

Back