testtest

Hellcat Barrels

I wonder why SA doesn't say it's rated for +P in the manual, online or anywhere that I've seen. I know I've seen it's ok to shoot it in different reviews. I've always been told the answer should be no if it's not documented on the barrel or by the manufacturer (the manual is a good place for it).

I wonder why SA doesn't say it's rated for +P in the manual, online or anywhere that I've seen. I know I've seen it's ok to shoot it in different reviews. I've always been told the answer should be no if it's not documented on the barrel or by the manufacturer (the manual is a good place for it).
Ive been under the recent understanding that most large, reputable manufactures firearms are pressure tested/made for several times over the typical SAAMI spec ammo pressures. Now I agree that's not safe to just assume in a general , but it makes sense to me.

The Saami specs for handgun ammo is a proof pressure of about 130% to 155% over the max pressure of a standard load.
It does vary depending on the Max pressure of the cartridge.

Definitive Proof Pressure Multiplier
When Maximum Average Pressure is Minimum Maximum
15,000 psi or less 140% 155%
15,100 psi to 18,000 psi 135% 150%
18,100 psi to 21,000 psi 130% 145%
21,100 psi and greater 130% 140%

For a 9mm, the 9mm +P proof load is used currently.
9mm +P has a Service Max pressure of 38500 psi
The 9mm +P Min proof pressure is 52000psi and the max is 55500psi

Lots more information than most people would ever want or need :)

Voluntary Industry Performance Standards for Pressure and Velocity of Centerfire Pistol and Revolver Ammunition

Back