testtest

HellCat RDP Leather Holster

Bear007

Custom
Anyone know of an OWB leather holster with a retention strap over the top? Tough to find for the Hellcat RDP.

Anyone know of an OWB leather holster with a retention strap over the top? Tough to find for the Hellcat RDP.
Bear007,
Couldn't find one liked or would work at the time, so made one from a holster kit for a Hellcat equipped with Hex Wasp optic and Viridian E laser. Holster is thumb strapped and also covers the optic, which is rare. Most holsters expose the optics to possible damage and debris. The original holster kit was modified to work for the Hellcat using simple tools. A small, good quality hole punch is very helpful when modifying holster after cutting down. A snap setter is also required in needed tools because of the thumb strap fastener. Think the kit was about $10. - $15. from a local craft store.

The same kits or similar are also available online. Half way decent instructions are also included as well as heavy thread, needle, fasteners and pattern, but imagination is required. NOTE: If making a holster, copy the pattern several times off a scanner and don't destroy original pattern. Tooling or design is optional and requires optional tools and time too. (Packaging is a bit deceptive on showing a tooled holster and actual holster leather is plain.) Tooling and edge treatments to smooth leather requires holster to be dampened with water periodically. - Leather becomes very pliable and moldable when wet and before finish is applied. Took about 2-3 hours to make a plain simple holster with no real tooling done except edge treatment. Also took more time to apply finish because of wait or cure time. Finishing or applying various finishes is up to person building holster and isn't included. The kit should actually work fine for the RDP to cover compensator as well because original holster kit was shortened to use for a more concealed carry. Work may sound more complicated than it is? Holster is actually fairly simple to make.

Either way you go, good luck!

This is a link to the holster kit:

This is finished holster.

Attachments

• 20210606_204211.jpg
    20210606_204211.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 181
Bear007,
Couldn't find one liked or would work at the time, so made one from a holster kit for a Hellcat equipped with Hex Wasp optic and Viridian E laser. Holster is thumb strapped and also covers the optic, which is rare. Most holsters expose the optics to possible damage and debris. The original holster kit was modified to work for the Hellcat using simple tools. A small, good quality hole punch is very helpful when modifying holster after cutting down. A snap setter is also required in needed tools because of the thumb strap fastener. Think the kit was about $10. - $15. from a local craft store.

The same kits or similar are also available online. Half way decent instructions are also included as well as heavy thread, needle, fasteners and pattern, but imagination is required. NOTE: If making a holster, copy the pattern several times off a scanner and don't destroy original pattern. Tooling or design is optional and requires optional tools and time too. (Packaging is a bit deceptive on showing a tooled holster and actual holster leather is plain.) Tooling and edge treatments to smooth leather requires holster to be dampened with water periodically. - Leather becomes very pliable and moldable when wet and before finish is applied. Took about 2-3 hours to make a plain simple holster with no real tooling done except edge treatment. Also took more time to apply finish because of wait or cure time. Finishing or applying various finishes is up to person building holster and isn't included. The kit should actually work fine for the RDP to cover compensator as well because original holster kit was shortened to use for a more concealed carry. Work may sound more complicated than it is? Holster is actually fairly simple to make.

Either way you go, good luck!

This is a link to the holster kit:

This is finished holster.
Pretty cool @BobM. This is for my older sister and brother-in-law, I've been helping them all the way thru the purchase, shooting it, sighting in the Hex Wasp and cleaning it since this is their first step outside of the revolver arena. They are pretty crafting folks so they might enjoy making the holster themselves.

Just wish it wasn't a 350 mile trip one way to go to class 🤣

Pretty cool @BobM. This is for my older sister and brother-in-law, I've been helping them all the way thru the purchase, shooting it, sighting in the Hex Wasp and cleaning it since this is their first step outside of the revolver arena. They are pretty crafting folks so they might enjoy making the holster themselves.

Just wish it wasn't a 350 mile trip one way to go to class 🤣

Thanks Bear007,
Was a fun and interesting project to break up the normal day to day routine. Holster was a pleasant detour and distraction. A gift from you to sister and brother in law? The kit may make a better gift coming from you then? And, may make it a better gift if you made it too? I hadn't done leather working in many moons. Pretty sure most people could with right train of thought, materials and tools.

Going from revolvers to semiautomatics can be interesting for anyone too. Revolvers are a good 1st step with HG's. - They'll likely do fine.

Traveling can be involved in that distance depending on the scenery and locations? Used to drive straight through to many places to spend more time wherever, now take stops to make trips more enjoyable. Driving 1,200 to 1,400 miles in 24 hours can be rough. Enjoyable stops along the way can help make things more pleasant. 350 miles one way can still be a toughy depending on where, when and what type of weather. Using 60mph as a ballpark average can help determine stops even when traveling at higher speeds, the average figuring speed is generally 60mph because of stops, detours and other necessities while traveling from my experience. Have a safe and fun trip there and back.

Thanks Bear007,
Was a fun and interesting project to break up the normal day to day routine. Holster was a pleasant detour and distraction. A gift from you to sister and brother in law? The kit may make a better gift coming from you then? And, may make it a better gift if you made it too? I hadn't done leather working in many moons. Pretty sure most people could with right train of thought, materials and tools.

Going from revolvers to semiautomatics can be interesting for anyone too. Revolvers are a good 1st step with HG's. - They'll likely do fine.

Traveling can be involved in that distance depending on the scenery and locations? Used to drive straight through to many places to spend more time wherever, now take stops to make trips more enjoyable. Driving 1,200 to 1,400 miles in 24 hours can be rough. Enjoyable stops along the way can help make things more pleasant. 350 miles one way can still be a toughy depending on where, when and what type of weather. Using 60mph as a ballpark average can help determine stops even when traveling at higher speeds, the average figuring speed is generally 60mph because of stops, detours and other necessities while traveling from my experience. Have a safe and fun trip there and back.
@BobM,
I've taken the Harley down twice this year. The trip from Zelienople, PA to Blacksburg, VA normally takes around 6.5 hours with 1 stop. My first trip down I took about 12 hours riding all the back twisty roads thru WV. The toughest part of the trip is getting up the 3/8ths of a mile unimproved driveway up to their 12 acres on top the hill. Full dresser Harleys weren't made for dirt riding lol, always a scary adventure.

They aren't really gun enthusiasts but do have rifles and handguns as tools, if that's the right term, to handle the wildlife on their property. I'm actually surprised they got the Hellcat RDP and if they made the RDP in the FDE he would have got it, he just kept staring at a picture of it. The old S&W .357 was just getting too hard on their old wrists. The Hellcat RDP makes a lot of sense in that it is softer shooting and quieter with that compensator than the .357 and my LC9S. I was also surprised how well I shot it being my first time with a red dot on a pistol, I found the handgun, and myself, to be very accurate using the Wasp.

I also took down some 38 special self defense ammo for them to try in the .357 revolver and they found that much easier on their wrists also, they didn't know they could use 38 special lol.

All in all, it's just takes time before my brother-in-law makes a decision. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for any new holster options for them. I won't be surprised if they take your route and make their own!

Thanks

Back