testtest

Hellcat trigger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptrieu

Alpha
I just got my hellcat and super excited about it and then I started seeing videos and articles about the lateral pressure problem with my new intended carry pistol. For those that don’t know, any sort of lateral pressure on the trigger prevents the safety mechanism from disengaging to let the pistol fire. Does anyone know of a solution to fix this or if Springfield is aware of the problem and possibly working on a solution?

Here’s another thread on here that eventually touched upon this subject. There’s a video one poster posted & I searched for the issue on the internet and found videos of how some rectified their issue. It’s not recommended, as some video issuers warned, as it could cause issues with the trigger working properly (if repair done incorrectly), which could be catastrophic in a defensive shooting scenario. Not to mention it would void the firearm’s warranty with Springfield Armory.

I'm not familiar with the issue in question here, but it sounds like ANY trigger-safety trigger. If you push it sideways, it won't fire. If you use a proper (key word there - PROPER) trigger pull, it will fire as designed.

Part of the whole "safety" concept.

Practice, practice, practice. Then, practice some more. Your muscles will learn the right way to pull the trigger, and when it doesn't fire, you will subconsciously make the adjustment to your finger.

Here’s another thread on here that eventually touched upon this subject. There’s a video one poster posted & I searched for the issue on the internet and found videos of how some rectified their issue. It’s not recommended, as some video issuers warned, as it could cause issues with the trigger working properly (if repair done incorrectly), which could be catastrophic in a defensive shooting scenario. Not to mention it would void the firearm’s warranty with Springfield Armory.

That was me. I apologize about the rant in that post but we are now up to 7 customers with this issue. You're correct about voiding the warranty if you even FILE it 1/10th of a mm.

Like I tell everyone. If you're not comfortable with it send it to SA and let them deal with it or sell it and buy something else. I'm not knocking the Hellcat as I own the OSP model and it has had no issues and I'm a lefty. Usually if a gun has issues a lefty finds it first. LOL

Springfield Armory has addressed this saying it's not an issue but I doubt that anyone at the SA HQ has tried to check a few of them. I hope it's just a few that have this issue but to me more than 1 is an issue IMO. It can be dangerous for you if it hangs in a situation where you need the gun to go bang but it could be an issue if you FILE that trigger safety and it stops doing its job and you shoot your junk off if you appendix carry.

Be safe no matter what and IMO send it to SA and maybe make a video and include it with the gun showing the issue not some YouTube guy screaming it'll get you killed. Odd thing is this guy has done like 5-6 videos about it. I say to him, get rid of it and move on.

The only thing I dislike about the Hellcat is I can't afford to shoot it daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was me. I apologize about the rant in that post but we are now up to 7 customers with this issue. You're correct about voiding the warranty if you even FILE it 1/10th of a mm.

Like I tell everyone. If you're not comfortable with it send it to SA and let them deal with it or sell it and buy something else. I'm not knocking the Hellcat as I own the OSP model and it has had no issues and I'm a lefty. Usually if a gun has issues a lefty finds it first. LOL

Springfield Armory has addressed this saying it's not an issue but I doubt that anyone at the SA HQ has tried to check a few of them. I hope it's just a few that have this issue but to me more than 1 is an issue IMO. It can be dangerous for you if it hangs in a situation where you need the gun to go bang but it could be an issue if you FILE that trigger safety and it stops doing its job and you shoot your junk off if you appendix carry.

Be safe no matter what and IMO send it to SA and maybe make a video and include it with the gun showing the issue not some YouTube guy screaming it'll get you killed. Odd thing is this guy has done like 5-6 videos about it. I say to him, get rid of it and move on.

The only thing I dislike about the Hellcat is I can't afford to shoot it daily.
I knew I saw it posted somewhere, so I found it, and shared it here for @Ptrieu. I was unaware of this issue, and after seeing the other thread with your response, I searched the internet and found others describing the same. I own the Hellcat non OSP, I haven’t had the issue, and I like it. I‘m not implying one way or another that it is or isn’t a problem, just that I felt I should share what information I came across, since Ptrieu asked a question that concerned him, and then after which he could make his own decision. I agree, if someone feels any firearm is not safe to carry or use, they should either contact customer services or sell it. Also, I didn’t think you were ranting, just expressing your views In the other thread.

I knew I saw it posted somewhere, so I found it, and shared it here for @Ptrieu. I was unaware of this issue, and after seeing the other thread with your response, I searched the internet and found others describing the same. I own the Hellcat non OSP, I haven’t had the issue, and I like it. I‘m not implying one way or another that it is or isn’t a problem, just that I felt I should share what information I came across, since Ptrieu asked a question that concerned him, and then after which he could make his own decision. I agree, if someone feels any firearm is not safe to carry or use, they should either contact customer services or sell it. Also, I didn’t think you were ranting, just expressing your views In the other thread.
Thanks. I was just calling that one person out because they acted like people were trashing SA or the Hellcat. I didn't know of the issue until we had our first customer who purchased one brought it to us and was furious. I took the gun from them and went to dry fire the gun and it did it to me and I just tried to pull the trigger not knowing there was any issues. They didn't say anything about any pressure, side pressure or anything. They just said it would hang.
After 7 customers from one gun store all have the same issue I want to ask questions too. I went home and looked it up and there were several videos. If these were all new inexperienced owners I'd say it's most likely the shooter but one is a LEO and after 20 years I'm sure he knows how to shoot. He was the one who actually took the time to figure it out and showed us the issue.
We pulled a few off the shelf and did get one to do the same thing. I don't think it's wide spread but it could be that the machine that makes the safety blade may be leaving some extra polymer on the edges.
IDK

THIS ISSUE IS SHOOTER INDUCED. Most "CENTER SAFETY" triggers can be bound up by applying a side load as the trigger is pulled before the center safety can release. This occurs by pulling the rigid trigger body aft without first depressing the safety. The safety does exactly what it is designed to do, not let the trigger trip the sear if the trigger finger is not placed on the safety BEFORE the trigger moves aft. But if enough reward force is incorrectly applied before the center safety contacts the frame, friction will prevent the safety from releasing until backward pressure is removed even if the trigger finger belatedly presses the safety. Even the high dollar aftermarket Apex trigger I put on an M&P shares this syndrome. This makes the Glock/Hellcat style trigger somewhat less likely to allow a negligent discharge when holstering in certain types of holsters. It is not a flaw. It is a deliberate design objective of this type of trigger.

Applying lateral pressure during the trigger press is improper technique that will lead to poor accuracy. All triggers are designed to pressed straight back only, although some types tolerate mishandling better than others. You fight like you train, so train like you will fight. If you cannot put in the disciplined repetitions needed to develop the muscle memory required to not mishandle a firearm with a center safety trigger under stress, I respectfully suggest you consider switching to a solid trigger weapon like a Sig, to a hinged trigger weapon like an M&P, or to a revolver. You will still have accuracy issues due to improper trigger press, but will not have the design of the trigger safety fight your trigger press technique.

I can make the trigger on my Hellcat lock up very solidly by applying lateral pressure early during trigger press. The friction of the center safety on the frame is quite strong if mishandled. But I have to deliberately mishandle the weapon to get that to happen. I have never experienced this problem during live fire or dry fire training until reading this thread and deliberately trying to duplicate the issue. I find the trigger very well suited to the intended purpose of the Hellcat. But I will not bet my life or the lives of others I am charged to protect on any carry weapon without first putting in a minimum of 750 rounds of live fire drills including induced malfunctions, and many times that of laser targeted dry fire to develop correct trigger press muscle memory. Know your limitations and choose your equipment accordingly.

And don't just shoot, train.

Just a bunch of Weirdoes behind a keyboard IDIOTS Who are forever bashing everything made by Springfield Armory! I have not had a problem in 500 rounds fired with my HELLCAT if you dont want it to send it to me.
I shot my Hellcat yesterday for the first time. I have been shooting for over 45 plus years. Firearms instructor. My Hellcat after about 60 rounds had the trigger lock up. Did this a couple of more times. There is an issue with this gun. I clearly see the problem and as far as the lateral movement that has been mentioned well I have to laugh. I have fired many different fire arms over my life time and never had a lateral issue. Bottom line the gun should work no matter period. I have contacted Springfield and waiting on response. Let you know what they say. Looks like a little filing of the trigger safety will do the trick but this is a new gun and that is unacceptable.

I've been comparing my Hellcat's trigger to my XD-s trigger. On the XD-s, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to pull the trigger without first hitting the safety blade. On the Hellcat...it IS possible to move the trigger, before contacting the safety blade. It's not a sideways-pressure thing per se, but I think the Hellcat trigger is wider than the XD-s trigger, or the curve is different, making it easier to contact the trigger on the Hellcat without contacting the safety blade. When you do that, the safety blade is pushed against the polymer case and 'binds up' - which is what the safety does.

The Hellcat does require a much more precise trigger pull, with much better trigger discipline, than my XD-s. Granted, I probably have 5k rounds through my XD-s and only 100 through the Hellcat so far...but that's what I've found by reading the threads, and then checking out the (unloaded) pistols in front of the TV in the evening. I can have my finger at a 45 degree angle to the barrel in the XD-s, and successfully pull that trigger, because I get safety blade contact even at that angle. The Hellcat wants my finger at a true 90 degree angle.

I can make it not-fire in the living room, but have yet to have it not-fire when actually shooting it. Again - only 100 rounds through it so far...but I haven't had any issues when in actual, shooting action.

I do not own a Hellcat yet. My LGS has me on their list to purchase ( I paid a $250.00 deposit) IMO, Where there is smoke there is fire. I love Springfield, however as more new and old users experience this issue SA must address it.

I shot my Hellcat yesterday for the first time. I have been shooting for over 45 plus years. Firearms instructor. My Hellcat after about 60 rounds had the trigger lock up. Did this a couple of more times. There is an issue with this gun. I clearly see the problem and as far as the lateral movement that has been mentioned well I have to laugh. I have fired many different fire arms over my life time and never had a lateral issue. Bottom line the gun should work no matter period. I have contacted Springfield and waiting on response. Let you know what they say. Looks like a little filing of the trigger safety will do the trick but this is a new gun and that is unacceptable.

Eh, don’t worry about El Wolfie...he either hit the eject button (or it was pressed for him) long ago.

And I don’t own a Hellcat, but I've shot a few...I don’t know if it's individual pistols, or what...because sometimes I can cause the issue, sometimes I can't...maybe a tolerance stacking problem?

Dunno. I’ll just stick with my P30SK if I’m gonna carry a small doublestack, I think.

I just had a few minutes to sit down take a look at the Hellcat. What I have discovered is that you must and I mean must use the ball of your finger if you finger is in too far it'll lock up on you. Do not think this would be a good thing in a stress situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back